They went back with the tail between their legs

I was quite fascinated or there could be another word ....please use it 

But again ....they said it !

A Pattaya YouTuber this time describing how newbies come out to Thailand a few times meet a lady or guy ,person  ( gender neutral please ) and BUY a bar !

Pattaya YouTuber gives a example 55yo divorced Kevin leaves the UK and has been to pattaya a few times ,decides to quit his job ,use half the divorce to buy a business ,it all goes "belly up " ( the YouTubers words ) and Kevin goes home "with the tail between his legs "

I immediately emailed the YouTuber asking for evidence!!!!

Then the umpteen YouTuber says 

"They went back ( to their home country) with their tail between their legs " !!!

Now researching this many meanings , and please only academics please correct me .

Let me put my spectacles on and read the meaning " they got scared ,or ashamed and left !

So ok .......in reality I thought about this and despite this being said millions of times on YouTube and forums I have NEVER known anyone who went back as meaning the tail between their legs ashamed "scared " 

Now where is the evidence that anyone actually failed at bar business and yes we are talking Thailand on this one , not for the millions of Phillipines and Cambodian expats on here , although ok we can include Cambodia!

But the question is ......have you personally known not heard any farang who came to Thailand bought a bar and ...."went back with the tail between his legs"!

It's a myth is it not ?

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

.have you personally known not heard any farang who came to Thailand bought a bar and ...."went back with the tail between his legs"!

Yes. about 4. Another thing you rarely "Buy" a bar, you might buy the business but then you still pay rent, and who would sell a viable business anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes. about 4. Another thing you rarely "Buy" a bar, you might buy the business but then you still pay rent, and who would sell a viable business anyway. 

Good academic point .

Yes, a friend who got into a relationship with a bar madam. Apparently cost him heavily to extract himself from her clutches.

He did not go home with his tail between his legs. He opened a bar in another city, I understand it is successful.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

But the question is ......have you personally known not heard any farang who came to Thailand bought a bar and ...."went back with the tail between his legs"!

It's a myth is it not

I knew one American who was run over by his gf, then she reported him to immigration for overstay, and he was arrested and deported while his arm and leg were still in plaster. The gf kept the bar he paid for.

But he didn't choose to leave, so I guess that doesn't count.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I know a guy who lost 85%. Went back home. Lives on the pension. Says he doesnt care anymore. He is 80yo. Figures he dies soon anyway. His two kids dont talk to him. So money means little.

• Sad 2

Like others I have read about these scenarios on various forums.  Also a few being fleeced by their farang business “partners “.

I suspect it happens even more than what’s reported.

Personally I have no desire for any business in Thailand.

Love the freedom of being able to walk away whenever I want without worrying about whose hand is in the cash register.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Were you drunk when you typed this nonsense? And where was your tail at the time?

His tail was in a dark place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I know one guy who lived and worked in Thailand with a decent job and salary. And then he retired and bought a bar. And he lost money and later borrowed lots of money and finally sold the bar.

He returned bankrupt back to the UK and lives in a home for old man.

I am sure he is not the only one.

• Agree 1

It would be interesting to know how many guys who buy a bar in Thailand did ever work in a bar, i.e. as manager, before they did that.

How many have experience, even a little, of running a restaurant or bar?

It seems many are just regular bar visitors and at some time someone offers them a bar and they think they can make everything better than all the others. And they dream about this successful bar with all those beautiful girls and happy customers and lots of money. And often they think they can run the business by sitting on a bar stool for a couple of hours a night.

And then, often sooner than later, they discover that it doesn't work like that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It would be interesting to know how many guys who buy a bar in Thailand did ever work in a bar, i.e. as manager, before they did that.

How many have experience, even a little, of running a restaurant or bar?

It seems many are just regular bar visitors and at some time someone offers them a bar and they think they can make everything better than all the others. And they dream about this successful bar with all those beautiful girls and happy customers and lots of money. And often they think they can run the business by sitting on a bar stool for a couple of hours a night.

And then, often sooner than later, they discover that it doesn't work like that...

Very true ! And written as a true academic 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dolf said:

I know a guy who lost 85%. Went back home. Lives on the pension. Says he doesnt care anymore. He is 80yo. Figures he dies soon anyway. His two kids dont talk to him. So money means little.

Is that who I think it is?  No need for names.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know one guy who lived and worked in Thailand with a decent job and salary. And then he retired and bought a bar. And he lost money and later borrowed lots of money and finally sold the bar.

He returned bankrupt back to the UK and lives in a home for old man.

I am sure he is not the only one.

Better to put money into bank or S&P fund. Then go drink in a bar once a week. 

Strictly Human Nature. We love to go around telling everybody about our personal "success-storys". We prefere to brush our "failure-storys" under the carpet. Anything new?

As far as this is concerned, the personal/financial "failure-rate" of Farangs in Thailand is unknown, but probably higher than in eastern Timbuktu.

I hear it's fairly common, but I don't think it's all bars and business failures. I think it has more to do with people getting older and medical issues. Another question, how do you hear about it after someone has left, second hand stories?

I had a neighbor in Bangkok who had to go back to his home country due to getting older. He was in the same condo over 20 years or thereabouts. He had a much younger thai helper who helped him with carrying groceries up the stairs and such (no lift in that building). Pleasant guy, but getting around town in that heat was somewhat of a challenge.

I took a look at his unit after he moved out to see what was up when it was being re-rented. It felt kind of depressing.

Edited by JimTripper

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was quite fascinated or there could be another word ....please use it 

But again ....they said it !

A Pattaya YouTuber this time describing how newbies come out to Thailand a few times meet a lady or guy ,person  ( gender neutral please ) and BUY a bar !

Pattaya YouTuber gives a example 55yo divorced Kevin leaves the UK and has been to pattaya a few times ,decides to quit his job ,use half the divorce to buy a business ,it all goes "belly up " ( the YouTubers words ) and Kevin goes home "with the tail between his legs "

I immediately emailed the YouTuber asking for evidence!!!!

Then the umpteen YouTuber says 

"They went back ( to their home country) with their tail between their legs " !!!

Now researching this many meanings , and please only academics please correct me .

Let me put my spectacles on and read the meaning " they got scared ,or ashamed and left !

So ok .......in reality I thought about this and despite this being said millions of times on YouTube and forums I have NEVER known anyone who went back as meaning the tail between their legs ashamed "scared " 

Now where is the evidence that anyone actually failed at bar business and yes we are talking Thailand on this one , not for the millions of Phillipines and Cambodian expats on here , although ok we can include Cambodia!

It's a myth is it not ?

Is that you , Gammaglobulin ...?