Motorbike-Riding Foreign Couple Fall Into Chiang Mai Road Hole

webfact

image.jpeg

A FOREIGN COUPLE holidaying in Chiang Mai got injured after the front wheel of their motorcycle got stuck in a hole dug in a Chiang Mai road to put electrical wires underground causing them to somersault down, Amarin TV said today (Mar. 24).

The unidentified couple from Hungary were riding along a road around the outer moat of this northern city near Chang Phueak Gate when they fell into a 50-by-50cm hole that is also around 50cm deep at approximately 6.20 p.m. last evening.

Another passing vehicle’s car camera captured the accident and the driver quickly shared photos online with a warning that roads in Chiang Mai’s municipal area, particularly those around the moat, are dangerous because of drilling operations to lay pipelines and bury electrical cables.

While these holes were covered this was not done with the safety of road users in mind, he added.

by TNR Staff

TOP: The Hungarian couple riding their motorcycle and the hole they fell into. Photo: Amarin TV

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-03-25

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DavidH51 said:

Probably they drove too fast at night - headlights didn't illuminate far enough ahead for them to see the safety cones etc in time.

By the time they had the accident, it will only be dark if wearing dirty sunglasses or being blind.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The unidentified couple from Hungary were riding along a road around the outer moat of this northern city near Chang Phueak Gate when they fell into a 50-by-50cm hole that is also around 50cm deep

Of course, this is what happens when tourists are busy rubbernecking and not paying attention to what’s ahead, running into hazards and causing hazards.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• "It was pointed out that while the road drilling work was mostly done at night with these holes being covered when morning approached to open the way for traffic, the roads are now bumpy and there have been many accidents despite metal sheets covering them."
  • "However they found that most other roads around the moat are still in the same condition, with holes and potholes in them and some left that way without any paving or the placing of barricades."

Simple to place a 80cm x 80cm metal plate but didn't? At least negligence was admitted:

• "the Provincial Electricity Authority, the project owner, to visit them and give compensation as well as ensure the best possible care. They will be fully reimbursed for medical expenses and repair of the motorcycle."

But start being consistent about public safety as a PRIORITY.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

TIT....

Congratulations for the prize for the lame comment of the day... which you win once again.

You know, if you have nothing to say it's quite ok to say nothing.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Considering none of the barriers are knocked over  do you think the barriers were put up AFTER the accident?

Yes I was thinking the same thing.  

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe placed after the event?

Don´t think so!

15 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Considering none of the barriers are knocked over  do you think the barriers were put up AFTER the accident?

No! If there were none before and they show pictures of them being there, it would have included info in the article.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, johng said:

yes I  watched the video on Thairath TV  bike driver was not at fault they dug up the road and left a bloody great "pothole" for road users to nose dive into !!!!!

I was in an unfamiliar area of Pattaya driving to a friends house...    

Pitch black (no street lighting), very quiet roads, raining....     I noticed the reflections from the rain against the lights up ahead was a little strange with darker 'non-reflective' patches...  it was enough to make me stop the car and check. 

I got out and nearly fell down a drain hole...  It was then that I realised I was a few 100m into a road that had all its square drain covers removed.

With extreme luck we'd managed not to drive into one of the open drains, we navigate out of the road very cautiously without further issue. My guess is that others may not have been so lucky. 

---------

Another time, driving in the day time East from Phitstanulok on highway 12... they were doing a lot of road works...   

They were extending / widening the road to a dual carriage way...  stage by stage...     At the end of each 'stage' there was a 1m drop (perhaps 1.5 to 2m in parts) where the 'extended' road abruptly stopped, as the next stage of extension had not started. 

Every morning in the news there were reports of cars that had 'gone off the road'.....  

I saw that there were 'branches' marking the end of the road, but no lighting. 

Its not a road that I'd drive at night, and for good reason. 

Cars had been driving along what appeared to be a perfectly normal road which suddenly ended to 'footing level foundation'... extremely dangerous, extremely careless....   

I wonder if anyone was ever compensated for the negligence shown by the authorities for this being allowed to occur over and over and over again....  Each morning, it was the same news story.

It seems that no one thought put out cones or lights... Or more correctly it was abundantly clear that no one cared, no one cared at all.

At least with this story social media appears more powerful than local media news channels and authorities were nudged into action to put barriers up - I wonder how many of them are now lit ?

I am also certainly that within very close proximity to that very are the incident with the Bulgarian tourists occurred is exactly the very same situation waiting to happen. 

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Don´t think so!

No! If there were none before and they show pictures of them being there, it would have included info in the article.

Mate, are suggesting Thai reports always provide all info... lol, just how long have you been in Thailand, and read, watched, the news..

This is a prime example of the reliability (unreliability) of the posters on this forum... the truth is now available and has been available for some time now... but there are still posters who do not have the time to read the sources before they insist on commenting... usually are totally wrong with their comments and never return to apologize or admit that they are wrong.

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:16 AM, DavidH51 said:

Probably they drove too fast at night - headlights didn't illuminate far enough ahead for them to see the safety cones etc in time.

I thought that as well, but after watching the video, no cones/barriers/lights in the road at all.

Looks like any motorcyclist could have fallen down it, no matter how careful.

• Agree 2

Extremely sad show by our resident  CSI-ASI unit.🙄

BTW a couple months back a pickup truck did the same. The road that had been worked on, then paved over, caved in. You wonder when someone is going to get seriously injured,  or killed during this lengthy digging project. TIT