Are we to see the end of 'Life Certificates?'

Moonlover

I received an email from one of my 3 pension providers recently. I was invited to download an app, enter the unique code that they provided and follow the instructions, 

Once I opened the app I answered a few basic questions regarding my contact details and then I was asked to provide a picture of a photo ID. (used my Thai D/L) I then had to take a short selfie video (presumably they wanted to see me blink) and they then compared the license photo with my selfie.

I passed so they now know that I'm still alive and the follow up email confirmed this and said I'm good to go for another year. It was all done in about 20-30 minutes.

Let's hope that other providers catch on and put an end to these bothersome life certificates. For the Luddites amongst us, they did provide the option to download a hard copy and do it old the fashioned way. As if!

One of my UK pension providers has scrapped their proof of life certificates. They now require me to present myself with my passport at a Western Union agent to verify I am still alive. They even give me the equivalent of 10 GBP in baht for my trouble. Not bad since my local bank branch is a WU agent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Don't think DWP will be doing this anytime!

You just might be wrong there. I know this article pertains to France, but note the first paragraph: ‘Life certificates’ sent to UK pensioners living abroad, including in France, could be moved online.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Proof-of-life-certificates-may-go-online-for-UK-pensioners-in-France

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You just might be wrong there. I know this article pertains to France, but note the first paragraph: ‘Life certificates’ sent to UK pensioners living abroad, including in France, could be moved online.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Proof-of-life-certificates-may-go-online-for-UK-pensioners-in-France

Possible.

Maybe at the same time as we get full pension!:tongue: