Best Personal Health Insurance

candoman89

Looking at renewing my health insurance and have narrowed it down to two plans: Burpa or William Russell. Anybody have any comments/experience with these two groups in terms of service.

I am not interested in price comparison but rather level of service from both the Insurance company and the hospital based on the type of insurance (i.e. do you get better service in a hospital based on who your insurance company is).

Thanks

Looking at renewing my health insurance and have narrowed it down to two plans: Burpa or William Russell. Anybody have any comments/experience with these two groups in terms of service.

I am not interested in price comparison but rather level of service from both the Insurance company and the hospital based on the type of insurance (i.e. do you get better service in a hospital based on who your insurance company is).

Thanks

Perhaps it's BUPA.

BUPA, as an international company, would have the best of the best . Then the bill comes in.

About 1250US$ per month, even in Thailand. That's theirs (and others') full, never pay anything, coverage.

When it comes to the affordable price range, most price their products competitively, as always, no big difference.

Thanks

Perhaps it's BUPA.

BUPA, as an international company, would have the best of the best . Then the bill comes in.

About 1250US$ per month, even in Thailand. That's theirs (and others') full, never pay anything, coverage.

When it comes to the affordable price range, most price their products competitively, as always, no big difference.

Both William Russell and BUPA International are strong solid companies with excellent reputations. Don't try to split hairs. If cost is not a concern, go with the one whose coverage best fits your needs.

Compared to AIA though, the aforementioned companies are midgets. You get real around the clock claims service (online and via telephone 24-7) with AIA... BUPA tries to run all of their Thailand ops from a one floor rented office on Silom.

:o

p.s. that's not a BUPA bash. It's definitely better to have than no insurance coverage at all. But they are hardly a full service insurance provider and could hardly be classed as "best."

Edited by Heng

Whichever insurance carrier you go with, choose carefully and be aware that as time goes on it will be less and less likely you'll be able to change to a different carrier.

The Thai insurers are VERY big on excluding pre-existing conditions. The longer you use your insurance, or even just visit a Thai hospital without insurance, you create an ever-expanding list of things that will be excluded from coverage if you change to a new insurer.

I'm "locked into" BUPA for that very reason because they've covered a number of my maladies in the 3 or 4 years that I've subscribed to them. That said, other than one bristly "pre-existing condition" episode I had with them, I'm pleased with their service and coverage. My experience has been with major farang-oriented hospitals (BNH, Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya) and at each place's cashier desk, it has only been a short wait (5 to 10 minutes) while the hospital cleared the charges with BUPA.

Compared to AIA though, the aforementioned companies are midgets. You get real around the clock claims service (online and via telephone 24-7) with AIA... BUPA tries to run all of their Thailand ops from a one floor rented office on Silom.

:o

p.s. that's not a BUPA bash. It's definitely better to have than no insurance coverage at all. But they are hardly a full service insurance provider and could hardly be classed as "best."

I'm sorry, Heng. Have you really looked at what coverage is? AIA has the largest insurance sales force in Thailand. But, it is a life insurance company, not a health insurance company. As such, they are more restricted in the level of coverage they can offer. Yes, they are very definitely the biggest. But the health coverage they sell is definitely not the best - not even close. The health coverage they sell is similar to that sold through any other life insurance company. Hey...I like life insurance. And, AIA may be the best in that regard (I don't know), but AXA, BUPA Platinum (I'm not a fan of BUPA Personal), LMG, NZI, MSIG, PIH and THI all offer much better coverage.

Whichever insurance carrier you go with, choose carefully and be aware that as time goes on it will be less and less likely you'll be able to change to a different carrier.

The Thai insurers are VERY big on excluding pre-existing conditions. The longer you use your insurance, or even just visit a Thai hospital without insurance, you create an ever-expanding list of things that will be excluded from coverage if you change to a new insurer.

I'm "locked into" BUPA for that very reason because they've covered a number of my maladies in the 3 or 4 years that I've subscribed to them. That said, other than one bristly "pre-existing condition" episode I had with them, I'm pleased with their service and coverage. My experience has been with major farang-oriented hospitals (BNH, Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya) and at each place's cashier desk, it has only been a short wait (5 to 10 minutes) while the hospital cleared the charges with BUPA.

All private health insurance companies, both Thai and international, exclude pre-existing conditions. They have to weed out potential claims gourgers to remain competitive and be able to stay in business.

The longer you use your insurance, or even just visit a Thai hospital without insurance, you create an ever-expanding list of things that will be excluded from coverage if you change to a new insurer.

That is very true.

You are very lucky to be "locked in" to BUPA. Unless you enrolled when you were over age 60, BUPA guarantees in your policy to renew your coverage for the rest of your life. AXA, MSIG, NZI and THI won't do that. Any health insurance company can single you out for a high premium increase if your caims cost them a large amount of money. BUPA assures me that they won't increase your premium for claims losses by more than 25% percent of your premium. Believe me, that's a good guarantee if they stick with that policy.

If you have to wait a long time to check out of the hospital while they are "checking with the insurance company", it may be the hospital's fault. That has been our experience. In a very recent case, the claim took 2 hours to process while the patient waited to go home. But, we have proof that the insurance company settled the claim with the hospital in just 10 minutes.

Anyway, be happy you are locked in with BUPA; you could have done worse.

You are very lucky to be "locked in" to BUPA. Unless you enrolled when you were over age 60, BUPA guarantees in your policy to renew your coverage for the rest of your life. AXA, MSIG, NZI and THI won't do that. Any health insurance company can single you out for a high premium increase if your caims cost them a large amount of money. BUPA assures me that they won't increase your premium for claims losses by more than 25% percent of your premium. Believe me, that's a good guarantee if they stick with that policy.

Thanks for the reassurance about BUPA being a good choice in those regards.

If you have to wait a long time to check out of the hospital while they are "checking with the insurance company", it may be the hospital's fault. That has been our experience. In a very recent case, the claim took 2 hours to process while the patient waited to go home. But, we have proof that the insurance company settled the claim with the hospital in just 10 minutes.

I did have an episode where the BNH cashier earned my respect and appreciation: After having a plantar wart removed as outpatient, I presented my paperwork to the cashier. He scanned the papers and asked me to be seated for a while. After about 5 or 10 minutes he called me back, and the paperwork indicated I had no balance due, BUPA covered the entire amount. I had noticed initially (before he asked me to be seated) that the paperwork indicated I owed about B1,000. I asked him about it, and he said that he contacted my doctor and had him reclassify the procedure so that BUPA would cover 100%.

A year or so later, I had the same procedure done at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital and the cashier advised me I owed about B1000. I explained what had happened at BNH, and after a heavy sigh the cashier asked me to be seated, after the requisite wait I was re-called to the cashier and had a zero balance.

Now, every time I go to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital, I always wonder if they've done their homework in my best interests. Bravo to BNH, though!