O.A Visa on return

Hi everyone,

I was in Thailand for just under 4 months, 2 month tourist visa, extend for one month then went to Malaysia & returned on visa exempt left 3 weeks later, i normally stay in the u.k for 7-8 months before returning, i am planning on returning to apply for an O.A (retirement  visa) in the next few months, applying for another tourist visa, was wondering if you have to stay out for a certain amount of time before returning? I was thinking of applying for the O.A visa in the u.K & then converting it in Thailand,  but thought it would be easier & cheaper to just apply in Thailand, any suggestions would be helpful.....

Cheers

Baz 

O-A?  That has to be applied for in the UK and is probably the least preferred option (needs police report/medical report/insurance).  Perhaps you mean you intend to get a non-O and then an annual extension in Thailand?  Or you can enter visa exempt/tourist and then convert to non-O and then extend.  Do you already have the 800k in a Thai bank?  I applied for a non-O in the UK the same day I returned from an extended tourist visa, non-O granted within 5 days.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeh sorry my mistake, yeh I saw the extra requirements if applying in the u.k, this why I wanted to apply in Thailand, I have a Thai bank account & the 800,000 baht, my main concern was returning to Thailand on another tourist visa after only being out of the country for a few months, then I will convert it into a non 0 visa once there.

Cheers 

Baz

Edited by Bazerino

Just now, Bazerino said:

Yeh sorry, non O A visa, yeh I saw the extra requirements if applying in the u.k, this why I wanted to apply in Thailand, I have a Thai bank account & the 800,000 baht, but my main concern was returning to Thailand after only a few months....

Cheers

Baz

You don't want a non-OA and can't get one in Thailand even if you did. 

You will have no problem returning after a few months.  A single non-O is easy to get in the UK, then you'll have a couple of months to get your paperwork straight ready for extension.  Or enter exempt or tourist and convert - but the ease of an online application in the UK versus an additional trip to immigration ought to be the decider.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Bazerino said:

Yeh sorry my mistake, yeh I saw the extra requirements if applying in the u.k, this why I wanted to apply in Thailand, I have a Thai bank account & the 800,000 baht, my main concern was returning to Thailand on another tourist visa after only being out of the country for a few months, then I will convert it into a non 0 visa once there.

Cheers 

Baz

You can apply for a Non-O in the UK for a fee of £60. It will give you 90 days and then you can extend.

My application took less than a week.

• Like 1

Just now, Bazerino said:

O.k thanks, I'll apply for another tourist visa & then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement....

No.  Doing it that way you will first have to apply to convert to a non-O and then later apply for the extension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazerino said:

O.k thanks, I'll apply for another tourist visa & then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement....

Doing it that way will be more expensive and more hassle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mlkik said:

You can not convert an O-A visa.

Agreed if for retirement. He would need to exit Thailand without a Re-entry Permit thus voiding the O-A. Just a footnote as I converted my original O-A Visa (Retirement) granted in the USA in 2011 (with subsequent Extensions of Stay) to an "O"Visa for reason of marriage to a Thai National without having to leave Thailand. Awaiting the 1st Extension of Stay currently.

• Like 1

I entered on a 30 day visa on arrival and applied for a 90 day O retirement visa. Had to show 800,000 in a Thai bank for 3 months before applying, and that money had to be from off shore. Also proof of accommodation with a hand drawn map showing the location. Recently extended this visa for one year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...