Best way to clone the SSD from old computer to new computer with an M.2 Samsung Drive?

I have this "old" comp.

In this old comp, I have a Samsung SSD with everything set up as I like it.

Now, I want to use a new computer with the M.2 SSD as my Drive C.

So then, what is the best way to clone/migrate ALL applications, and everything, to the new computer with the M.2 SSD, and not the traditional Samsung SSD?

Normally, I would just use a USB cable, and use the Samsung Migration software, to clone/copy/migrate everything to the new SSD.

But, since I am copying/cloning to an M.2., I am not sure if I can do the same thing, since I am unable to connect the M.2. Drive to a USB connection.

So then, what is the best procedure.

I am sure I can figure this out for myself.

But, I think it is far better to ask this question on TV, just for my own peace of mind.

Thank you.

Gamma

Note:

image.png.a60fd76874bd2b2eedc47dc19e56f349.png

In my old age, I have never worked with chewing gum in my computers.

Thank you.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

33 minutes ago, farangbaamaak said:

So.

How to clone the Samsung SSD to the Samsung M.2?

I think that even LAZADA does not have the answer.

Maybe you don't know what I am talking about?

You need two external bays, one for SSD, the other for the M.2, and another computer. Pull the original SSD out and insert it in the SSD bay, then put the target M.2 in the other bay, insert both into the 2nd computer's usb ports, then clone away.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You need two external bays, one for SSD, the other for the M.2, and another computer. Pull the original SSD out and insert it in the SSD bay, then put the target M.2 in the other bay, insert both into the 2nd computer's usb ports, then clone away.

OK.

Thanks.

Got it.

(I have several desktops.  So, this is OK.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So.

How to clone the Samsung SSD to the Samsung M.2?

I think that even LAZADA does not have the answer.

Maybe you don't know what I am talking about?

One computer should be enough - remove the M.2 from your new computer and insert it into the enclosure and then connect the enclosure to your old computer.

Use the Samsung Magician software to clone the OS or more drives to the new M.2 connected to the USB-port.

When done re-install the new M.2 into your new computer

If lucky your new computer will boot with OS from your old computer ...

18 minutes ago, farangbaamaak said:

One computer should be enough - remove the M.2 from your new computer and insert it into the enclosure and then connect the enclosure to your old computer.

Use the Samsung Magician software to clone the OS or more drives to the new M.2 connected to the USB-port.

I had some problems with Samsung Magician cloning tool when I tried to clone my OS to a new Samsung M.2 990 PRO SSD and had to use another software for cloning.

I can recommend Macrium Reflect Home if problems with Samsung Magician
https://www.macrium.com/products/home

23 minutes ago, farangbaamaak said:

OK.

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, howto said:

This is the way however 

I will be amazed if the M2 will boot afterwards. because the Hardware is "very" dissimilar.

You will have a lot of work ahead.

Yes.

Much work.

So I had thought.

=====

And so, I have been thinking about just not touching the old computer Samsung SSD...and....

Instead...

I will just do a totally new install on the new computer, using Linux.

(I am not so sure I want to take this more radical step to shift away, completely, from Windows OS.  But, I think it might be time.  Not sure.)

For teaching purposes, this might not be possible

Anyway.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, farangbaamaak said:

I had some problems with Samsung Magician cloning tool when I tried to clone my OS to a new Samsung M.2 990 PRO SSD and had to use another software for cloning.

I can recommend Macrium Reflect Home if problems with Samsung Magician
https://www.macrium.com/products/home

There are some other partitioning software available, and other tools.

However, these can get quite pricey!!!!!!

I have pirated them in the past, just for testing.

But, ....as I have just mentioned in a different topic....

a. I do not want to pirate software

b. I want to try to go completely opensource and FREE

c.  I do not play games.

d.  Therefore, I am now planning to just do a new install on the new computer, using OpenSuse.

e.  This distro is quite good.  And, free.

Windows might be too expensive for me, for this purpose.

Tks.

Note:  When you install Linux, you get that Great Feeling......

(Not Joking:  When you install Linux....  You get...THAT SAME OLD FEELING!)

Install Linux, and you feel FREE.....

(I always feel Free when I do a new install of Linux.)

Remove the SSD from your old computer and put it into an external USB enclosure. Connect that USB enclosure to your new computer, and run a disk cloning/partitioning program. I use ECHO 5, which works very well. The software will setup your new computer to temporarily boot an alternative OS, allow you to re-partition the M2 drive if desired, and then clone your SSD to your M2. When finished, the temporary OS is removed and your new computer will boot normally.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Remove the SSD from your old computer and put it into an external USB enclosure. Connect that USB enclosure to your new computer, and run a disk cloning/partitioning program. I use ECHO 5, which works very well. The software will setup your new computer to temporarily boot an alternative OS, allow you to re-partition the M2 drive if desired, and then clone your SSD to your M2. When finished, the temporary OS is removed and your new computer will boot normally.

Thank you.

Good Advice.

However, during this discussion, strangely enough, I may very likely choose to install Linux on the new teaching computer, for several good reasons.

My only hurdle might be to find something similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro which will run, natively, on Linux.

image.png.e9f170e2fd051b1a6a05f1615d7d2b06.png

So, after many years, this wish will not happen soon, if ever.

So...FK Adobe.

I will find some way to work around Adobe.

But, I am now committed to going with Linux, on a new install, even though I know this might require a bit of extra effort.

FK, MS, Fk Adobe.....

Opensource and Free Software is the only way to go....because...as I have mentioned.....

The software companies are trying to move towards Monthly Subscriptions, sort of like the New York Times.....

So, then...FK THEM!

((I will be using completely FREE Software on my next computer.  I will be going  FOSS, and also opensource software, which is not the same thing.  But, I will not be paying MONTHLY FEES to these Chicken SHT Software companies...for sure.  These monthly fees are their new strategy to suck the blood out of us.  No Way.  I SHT upon these Vampires!)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I will clearly state this:

Clone old computer SSD with windows onto a new SSD "for the old computer" will boot usually.

Clone old computer with windows onto this new computer will FAIL to boot.

Clone old computer with Linux onto this new computer will FAIL to boot.

It will require a full OS install on this new computer.

Then (windows) drivers, service packs, updates, etc,,,

At his point IMAGE IT before moving forward.

Then configuration (tweak how you like it).

And applications (some may need keys too).

Yes, perhaps Linux is the best way to go.

Linux fully supports the Intel Thread Director for those hybrid cores.

Later, do windows in a VM.

You are in for a lot of work.

Best of luck

Blessings at the end of Passover and into Easter.

8 minutes ago, howto said:

I will clearly state this:

Clone old computer SSD with windows onto a new SSD "for the old computer" will boot usually.

It will require a full OS install on this new computer.

Then (windows) drivers, service packs, updates, etc,,,

At his point IMAGE IT before moving forward.

Then configuration (tweak how you like it).

And applications (some may need keys too).

Yes, perhaps Linux is the best way to go.

Linux fully supports the Intel Thread Director for those hybrid cores.

Later, do windows in a VM.

You are in for a lot of work.

Best of luck

Blessings at the end of Passover and into Easter.

Whatever happens to the computer....

Blessings, Sir.

Tks!

i just used an external case usb  shoved the m2 in that and cloned using macruim
you can get case for m2 to usb  or convert to ssd to usb

zorins latest and greatest may get you full adobe through wine

plus if your adobe is legit and you have good internet you do it through the cloud
https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/

the latest zorin is very functional and ease of use
but if your an IT  teacher linux is a must 

Edited by Serenity_Now

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

yes
depends on new computer and os you cannot just blindly quote that
then your not cloning correctly

i only speak with experience and when i fail i go back to the drawing board
if at first you dont succeed .......

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

((I will be using completely FREE Software on my next computer.  I will be going  FOSS, and also opensource software, which is not the same thing.  But, I will not be paying MONTHLY FEES to these Chicken SHT Software companies...for sure.  These monthly fees are their new strategy to suck the blood out of us.  No Way.  I SHT upon these Vampires!)

i dont know if you should be around children

• Like 1

2 hours ago, howto said:

How do I clone a Linux operating system?

To copy Linux from one hard drive to another, use tools like "dd" or "rsync." Connect both drives, identify source and destination paths, then execute the appropriate command. For example, "sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=4M" copies the entire disk. Ensure correct device paths to prevent data loss

10 minutes ago, Serenity_Now said:
How do I clone a Linux operating system?

To copy Linux from one hard drive to another, use tools like "dd" or "rsync." Connect both drives, identify source and destination paths, then execute the appropriate command. For example, "sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=4M" copies the entire disk. Ensure correct device paths to prevent data loss

I am not trying to clone a Linux operating system.

That would be easy.

I was asking how to migrate/clone a complete disk image from an old Samsung SSD to a M.2 Samsung SSD in a new computer.

But, does anyone care?

Some have already answered this question.
And thank you to them.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Some have already answered this question.

yes all you gotta do is read

you require an external case for your m2
it can be a straight case
or like mine it turns it into an ssd 
there are many external cases online to choose from
i did respond earlier

I used Macrium Reflect

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-31 at 11.05.39.jpeg

1 minute ago, Serenity_Now said:

yes all you gotta do is read

you require an external case for your m2
it can be a straight case
or like mine it turns it into an ssd 
there are many external cases online to choose from
i did respond earlier

I used Macrium Reflect

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-31 at 11.05.39.jpeg

I have no need for an external case for an M.2 SSD.

NO NEED

But, maybe someone else might have a need for one....

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Now, I want to use a new computer with the M.2 SSD as my Drive C.

So then, what is the best way to clone/migrate ALL applications, and everything, to the new computer with the M.2 SSD, and not the traditional Samsung SSD?

Normally, I would just use a USB cable, and use the Samsung Migration software, to clone/copy/migrate everything to the new SSD.

But, since I am copying/cloning to an M.2., I am not sure if I can do the same thing, since I am unable to connect the M.2. Drive to a USB connection.

So then, what is the best procedure.

thats why you need an external case 
NO NEED really good luck..
thai citizenship already sound Thai NO NEED 
good luck in the teaching 

• Confused 1

External m2 case provides power and connection.

however, cloning from older motherboard, different disk drive to new m2 drive being put on a new motherboard with different cpu, chipset, drive, etc will make the old OS barf as it likely does not have the right drivers for the motherboard, etc. Applies to windows, linux, etc.

BTW, you may find Ubuntu a better bet in the Linux world. While SUSE was fine for many years, they have struggled as RedHat and Ubuntu dominate the Linux world over the past decade or so.

Let's not overcomplicate things.

Make a Macrium Reflect bootable USB stick (aka rescue media). Install both drives into the new computer. Boot with Macrium. Clone. Remove/disconnect old drive. Profit. 

Will it boot?  Yes, it might. Gone are the bad ol' Win 7 days. Win 10's much less grumpy about waking up in new hardware. It goes out and finds stuff. Worth a try to avoid reinstalling all those programs from the old installation.

If you get the MBR complaint, enable Legacy/CSM in BIOS and test.

If it's matter of drivers . . . you can try startup repair. Fairly useless, in most cases. But paid versions of Macrium and other such offer a "redeploy" feature or "bare bones restore" from an image (yeah, make an image of the old drive on another drive and use it). I'll redeploy if I'm moving an installation to very dissimilar hardware. Does Samsung have a similar feature? Find out.

I can't remember, but it may be that Macrium Free doesn't adjust the size of the clone to use the entire disk. If not, you'd need to extend the system partition into the extra free space, after it's up and running. Or you can make a data partition and move the libraries there. I never do on ONE drive, seems a legacy handed down from Win98. Best use another drive for data . . . .

Edited by BigStar

So, as I understand: you want the system the same like your old computer but later you write that you want a Linux distribution on your new PC?

First of all, if you have never worked with Linux and all the variants, just don't bother. The best allround system is Windows. You know the system and probably know your way around. Linux changes that. Though it might look like Windows, it is a pain compared to Windows.

And so, there are not much options than to clone your system. Several options are already presented to you here. 

But also here you need to be warned: cloning does not only copy a good system, but also a system that has flaws.

If I buy a new laptop or SSD, I always install Windows fresh. Nowadays it is so easy to install. Then slowly as I need a certain program I'll install that. I already deleted many obsolete programs or got the latest updates in this way.

Most important is your data. Your media files, your documents and shortcuts. If you use a browser like Chrome, you won't lose anything if you know your password to log in.

But to be sure, just start fresh with your new computer and slowly add whatever you need.

Buy an external casing for your SSD. I bought once for my small SSD a casing via Lazada and could throw the sh** away. So I went to the shopping Mall in Hua Hin and there I bought in a shop another casing that worked. I have several external drives in this way, many just copies (or back-ups of the media I use).

Good luck!

19 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

If you use a browser like Chrome, you won't lose anything if you know your password to log in.

Now this is good news. Thank god for Chrome, eh. How does this guarantee to save your media files, your documents and shortcuts, work? Login to WHERE?

Edited by BigStar

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Now this is good news. Thank god for Chrome, eh. How does this guarantee to save your media files, your documents and shortcuts, work? Login to WHERE?

A few things. I use chrome on several devices: 5 computers, a tablet and a phone. If you use gmail, then you'll have your google account. Logging in on chrome on each device gives you access to: google drive and google foto's. Nearly all of my documents are uploaded to those and I can access them from each device. All shortcuts that I use in one computer is automatically updated as soon as I use another computer or tablet. Even history of YouTube is on all devices the same. Provided that you log in with the same credentials as your initial one.

Of course there is always work to be done. With Google Foto the pictures you take with your phone or tablet are uploaded via wifi automatically. Documents you need to do manually. I did this many years ago and have had always access to my documents. Though you might say that uploading to "the cloud" is not safe enough, I can tell you that more documents have been lost, because of hard drive failure. 

If you have however everything on your old drive, I would really keep that drive and put it in a casing so you have it as an external drive. You then can always copy or find your documents. But like I said: it's safer on Google Drive than on your own drive.

So your question to log in where is hopefully answered: log into your google account. And in case you don't have one, make one and start using Google Drive. It has about 5GB for free, but for a small amount monthly or yearly you can have up to 2 TB space. I pay 117 Baht per month for 200 GB, which is more than enough for me.

1 hour ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Logging in on chrome on each device gives you access to: google drive and google foto's. Nearly all of my documents are uploaded to those and I can access them from each device

Ah. You login to google drive etc. on google.com.

Unfortunately it happens that google doesn't automatically upload all your data from your PC. Not surprisingly, if you didn't upload it, then it won't be there all safe and sound when your drive crashes.

The other issue, you see, is that serious computer users often have much more data than the measly 15 GB google gives you for free on Google drive. So actually they'd ALSO have to pay for more space, as you noted. But then it seems you're limited to 2 TB? Many people have more than that. I have 6 TB of data, for example.

As it turns out, just having your password [to a Google account], not necessarily Chrome, and are using Gmail, then your Gmail is stored there, unless you've exceeded your space limit. But not much else without conscious effort and payments. If you're using Chrome, Google will love to backup your bookmarks and browsing data and sync them to Chrome on other devices.

I think we can just state the general principle that you'll lose data when it's deleted, erased, or otherwise becomes inaccessible if you don't have it backed up SOMEWHERE.

Edited by BigStar