Selling US Gold Coins

Went to 3 gold shops yesterday in Pattaya, the ones in most Lotus and Big C...Aurora, Bangkok(something) and another one. All said they do not buy US gold coins. 

Anyone know of a shop in Pattaya (or even BKK) that will purchase these coinsThey are a 1911 Indian Head $5 (Half Eagle), a 1911 Indian Head $10 (Eagle) and a 1908 Saint-Gaudens $20 (Double Eagle). All are 90%.

• Like 1

I'd be interested, I think you should post on Facebook really, you will also get more from a P2P sale than going to a shop. Shops like in lotus or big c are there to mainly sell what they have, not to buy random stuff and be bothered to even test if it is gold etc etc. You need to go to some real gold shop in that case, likely older ones, Chinatown areas.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I think it would be better to sell these coins to collectors or shops in the US that would pay for the coins' numismatic value instead of selling to a gold shop here that probably would only pay for the coins' gold content.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

2009... sigh, it does not even mention anything, why even post this.

Just for reference

The seller can make his inquiries if he wants to. They mention gold shops in Patpong and in Paragon, maybe they still exist????

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Just for reference, the seller can make his inquiries if he wants to. They mention gold shops in Patpong and in Paragon, maybe they still exist????

There are hundreds of shops if it comes to what is in that article with 2-3 locations. Might as well use google maps.

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

There are hundreds of shops if it comes to what is in that article with 2-3 locations. Might as well use google maps.

Of course that is also one alternative solution.

A lot of shops at MBK in Bangkok that buy and sell. I have sold a bit there, but you need to know what you have. 

They will only pay scrap for them, but unless they are in great shape they are generally not worth much more than that. 

• Like 1

Melt value is all I'm looking for. Zero plans on returning to The States anytime soon...or ever. 

Currently the melt value based on this chart is USD$540...USD$1081...USD$2162. 

PSX_20240331_122216.thumb.png.bcba28f894f8dd2b82f08f43dbd36666.png

41 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks for all replies. A gold shop very near Tukcom Pattaya bought the coins. Not quite spot, but close enough for me. 

That's what counts. They are in the business of making money, and if they didn't they would be out of business. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Please avise what gold shop near tutcom

I assume there are many in area 

Any way you could describe it,  I'd appreciate it!

Actually have some usa  / Canadian 

In kbank tutcom branch safety box

Appreciate your response 

1 hour ago, bobyogi said:

Please avise what gold shop near tutcom

I assume there are many in area 

Any way you could describe it,  I'd appreciate it!

Actually have some usa  / Canadian 

In kbank tutcom branch safety box

Appreciate your response 

The name was in Thai and I didn't take a picture of it. As you exit the front of Tukcom at South Pattaya Rd, go left past Starbucks. The first gold shop you'll see, just across the little soi, is called Proud. They may buy there...but we continued on a bit further and the next gold shop on the left is where I sold. Small Mom & Pop shop with husband and wife tending the store. Hope this helps

Thais have their "Thai-Gold". They don't go by "Ounces".

Example: A couple of years ago I wanted to sell some 1 oz gold bars and some Kruegerrand coins to my Thai Bank. Against a receipt, they took in the merchandise for "assessement". A week later, the amount was credited to my Thai account. At a discount of 10% below bid/ask spread in New York or Zuerich.
Conclusion: Whatever is denominated in Ounces, or not considered "Thai Gold" don't sell it in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, swissie said:

Thais have their "Thai-Gold". They don't go by "Ounces".

Example: A couple of years ago I wanted to sell some 1 oz gold bars and some Kruegerrand coins to my Thai Bank. Against a receipt, they took in the merchandise for "assessement". A week later, the amount was credited to my Thai account. At a discount of 10% below bid/ask spread in New York or Zuerich.
Conclusion: Whatever is denominated in Ounces, or not considered "Thai Gold" don't sell it in Thailand.

Did you expect them to do it for free? 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Did you expect them to do it for free? 

Nobody does it for free. That's where the bid/ask spread comes into play. But 10% below?