Tax Residency Calculation

Maybe been asked before but so many pages to browse.

In 2024 If I am in Europe for 180 days, come back to Thailand and before year end I am in say Laos for 10 days (total 190 days - not in Thailand for 176 days (leap year).

Does that establish "non tax residency"?

• Haha 1

One thing to keep in mind: when you cross a border, only either the day of your arrival in the country OR the day of your leaving the country counts, NOT BOTH.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, JackGats said:

One thing to keep in mind: when you cross a border, only either the day of your arrival in the country OR the day of your leaving the country counts, NOT BOTH.

Well actually no. Thailand counts any part of any day, according to stamps in a passport. The UK on the other hand counts where you are at midnight. It is easily possible to be tax resident on two countries, on the same day.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Well actually no. Thailand counts any part of any day, according to stamps in a passport. The UK on the other hand counts where you are at midnight. It is easily possible to be tax resident on two countries, on the same day.

Interesting. What if you have a late flight? Where are you at midnight? Waiting to board? Most flight I took from Bangkok have been close to midnight.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Interesting. What if you have a late flight? Where are you at midnight? Waiting to board? Most flight I took from Bangkok have been close to midnight.

It's not unusual to have in transit days when it comes to counting days for tax. An 11pm departure on long haul can leave you without residency anywhere that day, ditto crossing the date line can also be interesting

• Agree 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:43 AM, Negita43 said:

Maybe been asked before but so many pages to browse.

In 2024 If I am in Europe for 180 days, come back to Thailand and before year end I am in say Laos for 10 days (total 190 days - not in Thailand for 176 days (leap year).

Does that establish "non tax residency"?

Yes as far as I'm concerned. 

Yes you qualify for a non tax residency in Thailand.Not surexwherecin Europe—but most countries have a double taxation agreement with Thailand—that means you pay tax there and wont pay in thailand—cannot be taxed twice on the same monies

so all the chinese and russians buying condos and not staying half a year are not extorted 25-35% extra on top in exchange for absolutely nothing as people who spend here all year, seems fair, right....

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 11:51 PM, Farang baa said:

Yes you qualify for a non tax residency in Thailand.Not surexwherecin Europe—but most countries have a double taxation agreement with Thailand—that means you pay tax there and wont pay in thailand—cannot be taxed twice on the same monies

Not true in most countries you pay tax when you earn it and you pay tax when you spend it ...... and when you die!😢

Edited by Negita43