Taiwan’s strongest quake in 25 years kills at least four

CharlieH

image.png

In Taiwan, the ground shook hard. It was the strongest earthquake they've felt in 25 years. The quake was a big one, measuring 7.4 on the scale. It hit the eastern coast of the island, near Hualien city. Sadly, it caused a lot of damage. Buildings fell down, landslides happened, and four people lost their lives.

The quake struck early in the morning, just before 8 a.m. local time. It was followed by more shaking, making people feel scared all over the island. The aftershocks kept coming, adding to the fear.

The National Fire Agency reported the sad news of the four deaths and many injuries. Most of the damage and casualties were in Hualien County. The rescue teams were trying to help people trapped in collapsed buildings. Thousands of homes lost power, and landslides blocked a major highway along the coast.

The authorities warned that more big aftershocks might come in the following days. Initially, there were fears of a tsunami, but thankfully, those warnings were lifted later.

The government acted quickly. The military was sent to help, and schools and offices closed down to keep people safe. The president ordered everyone to work together to deal with the situation.

Taiwan is no stranger to earthquakes. It sits in a region prone to seismic activity. This quake was the strongest since 1999 when a similar one caused a lot of damage and loss of life.

The damage from this quake was significant. Many buildings collapsed, especially in Hualien County. Lots of people were left without electricity. Videos shared on social media showed the scary moments when everything was shaking, buildings swaying, and people trying to find safety. It was a frightening experience for everyone on the island.

source

image.png

Chip maker TSMC (THE most important worldwide for consumer goods and more) has halted part of it's production.

Seems though there has been no damage to the multi billion Dollar factories.

That would make reactions!

(Asian stock markets have reacted)

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 4/5/2024 at 2:31 PM, KhunLA said:

In the 80s I was working in a hospital ward when a large earthquake struck. We were having morning tea break at the time and I watched the water in a fish tank swishing violently from side to side.

I remember thinking that I'd pay money at a fair ground to go on a ride like that!

The building suffered no damage, as it would have been constructed to earthquake standard, but a large concrete chimney for the boiler house was too badly damaged to keep and was replaced by a steel one.

A few people were injured, but happily no one died, as it hit an area with a low population, and the city was low rise.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder how the luvvies are going to make this the result of man made climate change?

Not the Taiwan earthquake, but here's a Green candidate blaming climate change for the earthquake near New Jersey, where she's running for senate...

“I experienced my first earthquake in NJ. We never get earthquakes. The climate crisis is real,” Khalil wrote in a post shared on X, formerly Twitter. 

https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/05/new-jersey-green-party-senate-candidate-earthquake-blame-climate-change/

Greta probably gave her a like from jail...  Kindred spirits.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A few people were injured, but happily no one died, as it hit an area with a low population, and the city was low rise.

A testament to their building expertise.  Even see some buildings completely leaning over, and the didn't fall apart.  That was surprising & impressive.

Shutter to think if a 7 pointer hit Thailand.   Although one reason I live here, don't get earthquakes of any noticeable magnitude, and or other natural disaster weather.  OK, a once in a lifetime tsunami, but that's about it, and that Typhoon way back when, that hit lower gulf.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not the Taiwan earthquake, but here's a Green candidate blaming climate change for the earthquake near New Jersey, where she's running for senate...

“I experienced my first earthquake in NJ. We never get earthquakes. The climate crisis is real,” Khalil wrote in a post shared on X, formerly Twitter. 

https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/05/new-jersey-green-party-senate-candidate-earthquake-blame-climate-change/

Greta probably gave her a like from jail...  Kindred spirits.

Family was chit chatting about that on FB ... suburbia Philly

image.png.3118c2a0a598fcb43acb5114c4fa42df.png