Child swipes phone in swift snatch at Bangkok eatery (video)

webfact

image.jpeg

Popular Bangkok restaurant Red Panda Yakiniku took to social media to share CCTV footage of a child sprinting into their establishment, stealing a mobile phone from the cashier’s counter, and fleeing. The post is an appeal to the child’s guardians to return the stolen item.

The Facebook post featured a clip showing a child dashing into the Red Panda Yakiniku branch in Bang Khae, quickly scanning the area before grabbing the mobile phone left on the counter and running out of the restaurant.

The accompanying message requested the return of the phone, highlighting its sentimental and practical value to the employee, for whom the mobile phone was a significant possession, purchased by the family and containing important personal and work-related documents.

The restaurant administrators, having consulted with the affected employee, assured that no legal action would be taken if the phone was returned. They even suggested that if the child’s guardians preferred to remain anonymous, they could send the phone back via mail.

The server, who fell victim to the theft, has since reported the incident at the Lak Song Police Station. Efforts to reach the phone have been made, but calls to their number remain unanswered, reported Sanook.

Despite the appeal for the phone’s return, netizens have criticised the child’s actions and the apparent lack of proper guidance from the guardians. The restaurant’s plea for the return of the stolen mobile phone reflects a hope for rectification and a lesson in accountability for the young individual involved.

In related news, a Thai man has sought justice after a nine year old girl stole 33,400 baht from his home in Bangkok’s Nong Khaem district. Despite the young thief confessing to the police, she was not charged due to the child protection law.

The victim, known as Fluke, reached out to the local news Facebook page Drama-addict to share his story with the public. He hopes that doing so will draw the attention of the relevant authorities to the need for a review of laws concerning young offenders.

by Samantha Rose

Picture courtesy of Red Panda Yakiniku Facebook

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Part of a gang?

Children can not be charged with a crime ?

I had my laptop stolen by a kid four or five years old.

This was done by a gang some years ago.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

netizens have criticised the child’s actions and the apparent lack of proper guidance from the guardians

The child's guardians DID give proper guidance by saying 'Go in there and nick whatever is lying around'

Rather silly to leave a phone in full sight of an open doorway.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

The child's guardians DID give proper guidance by saying 'Go in there and nick whatever is lying around'

Rather silly to leave a phone in full sight of an open doorway.

I bet you are perfect always. I also bet that this NEVER happened at this place before as well. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I bet you are perfect always. I also bet that this NEVER happened at this place before as well. 

Fair point...  But I am often left aghast at the degree and abundance of open opportunity here for crime, particularly in a nation where policing and penalties are what I'd consider to be ineffective. 

Wife leaves her phone on the table and goes to the restaurant bathroom....  or leaves here handbag where someone can easily swipe it.

I see this all around with others too....  Just go up any escalator and there's a person in front with their phone hanging out of their back-pocket or popping out of an open handbag etc...

While we shouldn't be owned by the things we own, we should be considerate not to make ourselves easy targets. 

--------

In this case there was ready access not only to the phone, but direct access to the till from the street - I've no idea how 'modern tills' are opened (with a key-card etc?) but if it was simple till the kid could have 'tapped a button' and the the cash made relatively available too.

Door left wide open.... easy in and out for the opportunist kid. 

\

One of the greatest opportunities I see here are at the large weddings at the major Bangkok hotels...  Millions of Baht (of Envelope money) placed into cardboard boxes... its someones job to look after that money (usually a family member)....  In our case my Brother In Law was in charge, not wanting to leave the money in his room, there were 5 boxes he left in the boot of his car for the night... Easy pickings for a criminal I'd say.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Part of a gang?

Children can not be charged with a crime ?

I had my laptop stolen by a kid four or five years old.

This was done by a gang some years ago.

I think you're onto something there... the kid seemed to be switched on as to what to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The reason this makes the news is because it is relatively rare here. In other countries it happens so frequently. Glad to be in Thailand and hope it stays safe here. 

• Love It 1

This mirrors the kids taught by terrorists to hate, by dictators to hate, that everyone is a target according to their teachers, that Americans are all infidels, that anyone defying their leaders are fair game. Parents here use their children because they know the laws are not enforceable for minors. In this case, the parents should always be made responsible until a certain age.

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

The reason this makes the news is because it is relatively rare here. In other countries it happens so frequently. Glad to be in Thailand and hope it stays safe here. 

What's rare? Theft? Theft of phones by children? This kid obviously had someone waiting for him, and who could that be? Kids steal my fruit all the time. Theft of anything, especially from a person, is something that should be taught as soon as they understand the language. This made the news but the other hundreds of thefts don't because they only have room enough for so much on TV daily. Most crime doesn't get news.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I think you're onto something there... the kid seemed to be switched on as to what to do.

He seemed to know exactly where the phone was before he entered the restaurant as well.

• Like 1

I think this little criminal in the making, has the right moves, ninja-like, she comes in, expertly surveys the situ, and instantly grabs what seemed like a nice new toy, and escapes.

Enjoyed the video.

13 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

The little toe rag,  train them young huh?  Seems like the little tyke knew exactly where to go and what to take. 

A good size 10 up the backside might teach him a good lesson. 

Only if the father is Swiss.