Pita bids farewell to parliament, calls for cabinet reshuffle

snoop1130

Such will be the plight of any populace party which dares to raise it's head and challenges the status quo.
Well, unless Gen-X and Millennials become a majority in the Army, and then they can do it the "old fashion way."  :wink:

• Thumbs Up 1

May I add, when the coup makers took over irrespective what country you came from what was your exchange rate to the Thai baht. Three months after the coup every countries exchange rate dropped considerably. Which was amazing as the Thai  baht was as soft as a pensioners turd.

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So being that on average there's been a coup every 4.5 years and the last one here was in 2014 you say it's too early for the next one. I'm missing your logic on this one. It would seem at 10 years it's well overdue according to the average.

The logic is that the 2014 coup & its military government lasted till 2023 before the restoration of at least the appearance of some democracy and more certainly of civilian control. On average then we might expect the next coup shaping up around 2028 or 29. An average is indicative. It's not a fixed date with destiny.

Edited by mfd101
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I first moved to Thailand in 2000, I was married to a Thai lady 2 years later. Since then Thailand has gone dramatically backwards for all sorts of reasons. If I wasn't married I'd be out of Thailand as early as I could be. If I was a newbie I would never buy a property here. Thai governments only want short term tourists, farangs such as myself who took my wife out of poverty means nothing. If they had anything between their ears the would be encouraging expats to settle here. What about another hub, the hub where we seek expats who can give their wifes and families a decent life.

I first arrived in 2002, but unlike yourself I ballaced long stays or 3 months to a year then several years each break going back home to fill my bank account. Noticing the changes struck home with each return. Infact watching the country regress rather than progress. Listening to expats sing the praise of coups only to wake up to persecution, changing visa requirements. I gave up after 8 years living in Thailand and building a house in 2019 and now only visiting for holidays and that would be a never return if not for family. Who in their right mind deposits £10,000 ~ £20,000 of their money in a foreign  bank being told they can only spend 1/2 but must put in back in almost immediately.  Never!!!@ 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Only the military elite are allowed to be in power. Anyone else will be denied such power before, during or after elections. PTP are next on the list even though the real reigns of power as it stands remains with the military elite. IMHO another coup is likely and coming soon.

Not sure about another coup, I really don't think the population or the west would tolerate that, it could happen but would take Thailand back many years in trade talks and investments from overseas.

But with Thaksin back in the fold and apparently openly having group talks with PTP party, wait for Yingluk to come back and the clan will run everything again.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Only the military elite are allowed to be in power. Anyone else will be denied such power before, during or after elections. PTP are next on the list even though the real reigns of power as it stands remains with the military elite. IMHO another coup is likely and coming soon.

There won’t be a coup anytime soon. Deals were made which paved the way for Thaksin to come back. The military and police are not threatened by anyone, the ball is firmly in their court.

MFP the party with most support is powerless, they are all very new and has no influence in anything. You might get some protest but it won’t be massive like before compare to those behind yellow and red shirts.

Edited by fallup88
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Thai governments only want short term tourists, farangs such as myself who took my wife out of poverty means nothing. If they had anything between their ears the would be encouraging expats to settle here.

Agree 100%.  Going back nearly 20 years I remember a Thai politician urging Thai women to marry farangs.  They rarely stoop to the violence dished out by Thai men; nor do they flee in the face of morning sickness.  There are two more teaching graduates thanks to my intervention + every year at least 3 of my friends and family add to the tourist numbers.

Malaysia seems to understand the value of ex-pats.

40 minutes ago, damian said:

They will attempt to sugar coat this with a 'father knows best' demeanour (because they can't help themselves) which hopefully the young will see through and reject anyway. 

It's Thailands only hope, the millennials rising up, coupled with the now debt ridden middle classes.

I really hope they see through all these "behind closed doors" tactics and dodgy deals.

Thailands elite running roughshod over what people really want, and undermining the justice system , using the EC and CC to get what they want.

Join hands and vote en-masse for the lot to get kicked out of office.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's sad when a political system forces out it's best and  brightest.

usually autocratic/military junta/dictatorship type governments do that to avoid competition, getting rid of the thinkers/smart ones who went to foreign universities/schools a got a taste of "real" democracy, when coming back to their country of origin, they would like to put in place some of their new ideas and move their country forward, unfortunately the old "crocs" will not allow that to happen afraid of losing control, thus the old "crocs" will go to any and all means to disavow the new ideas... look at the dictatorship countries and where their best and brightest are, either in jail or in exile out of their country