Khao Ca Hmu And Neuah Dtun

realthaideal

This may take going to a Thai website and having to translate it, but I'm fine with that. I want to know more of the history of these seemingly or known Chinese-influenced THai dishes. Often Gai Dtun and Pet Dtun will have "Ya Jin" - 'Chinese Herbs' in the name, clearly making the connection.

But with Kaho Ca Hmu and really all Dtun or Neauh Boey dishes you see that they follow the same technique of boiling, braising, or simmering in soy sauce and then adding some other ingredients. Has anybody seen anything with the history of this technique out there? I'm also curious about the different schools of it. I know my Ca Hmu will taste dfifferent if eating it from a Thai with Tae Chou Chinese blood vs someone with Hokkien ancestry.

It might be fun if someone posts a recipe too, but I'm actually more interested in the anthropology of the dishes. I'm betting Bambina will know some screwy website somewhere - probably in Thai - that has a line or two about the dishes' origins and how they got here. I'm just curious like that.

And BTW feel the same about Hmu Gattah. Clearly it has elements of Japanese and Korean cooking styles, but has been made uniquely Thai. I'm wondering when that dish arrived here too. Is it just modern Thais eating it, or were they eating off gattahs 100 yrs ago as well ?? I've heard conflicting reports about how and when ideas got borrowed.

:o What's a question!! I took few hours for doing a research.

However, I am not sure whether my answer is right or not.

I found the article about "The Origin of Teothew/Guangdong Convenient stores in Siam"

http://www.sarakadee.com/feature/2002/04/c...ience_store.htm

Sum up,

1) From the annals (King Rama 5 era),there was the first of The origin of Teothew/Guangdong Convenient stores in Siam 150 years ago (Yaowarat aka China town and Bangruk) . Chinese goods were imported by Teochew people who lived in Hongkong.

2) Beef stew and Pork knuckle stew needs to use some ingredients which they were imported such as Chinese herbs and Soya sauce.

3) Women from Guangdong eat Pork knuckle stew (with black vinegar) to promote lactation.

4) The most popular Pork knuckle stew is in Bamgrak area.

When all is said and done , the origin of Beef stew and Pork knuckle stew might make up in TH approximately 150 years ago.

ps.Funnily, I found an intersting Annals "Du Royaume de Siam" by La Loubere, Simon de (1693), by accident !!

In the annals has a piece of infomation about Siam food as "Pla Rah (Fermented Fish) :D

You may see the copy version of it at Cornell University Library (online).

http://dlxs.library.cornell.edu/s/sea/brow...date/1600_2.php

There is a piece of information about it in TH site aswell.

http://www.thai-folksy.com/L2Qua/L1-30/18-L2Q.htm

Thanks Bambina!

I knew you'd help me. I'm just very curious about histories of food. I know that Thld is a cultural crossroads and sometimes I wonder how long these foods have been here and who brought them? IN some cases it's easy to tell some of the mystery.

And for the case of Hmu Kattah, I'm curious, did you eat it as a kid ? Was it around then? Did your parents have it when they were growing up ? It seems to me like this dish is growing in popularity, like it is a fairly recent addition to Thai people's eating style. Have any opinions or memories?

Even if you don't, that's fine. Thanks again. I've got my homework to do now and try to read the Thai websites...ouch, puat hua!

RTD