Long Covid

I have completely lost my sense of taste.

I had Covid in December  I lost my taste.

However it came back to around 90% of what it was in January, so looking positive.

But in March my sense of taste has gone again and has become so bad that the majority of my food tastes horrible.....seems the only food I can tolerate is spicy as the spice masks the taste of the food. 

So no western food, beer too, that tastes bad.

My friend said that nicotene patches are said to work, but I am concerned about readdiction to nicotene as I worked very hard to quit.

Anybody else any experience with this problem?

I have had no sense of taste for the last 12 months, since catching Covid for the 3rd time last April in BKK. And no sense of smell since (I think) the bout before that some 3 years ago.

Neither sense has ever been very strong in me, since childhood allergies and the appalling diets of the time in Anglophile NZ (inter alia gallons of full-cream milk every day).

I notice now with food that I still have the same favourites here and I enjoy the look & feel ...

Nothing to do except wait and hope.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

But in March my sense of taste has gone again and has become so bad that the majority of my food tastes horrible..

If food "tastes" then you have not lost your taste , but rather your taste has altered. 

Something that can happen.

I know things that you could not pay me enough to eat when I was younger  now I love it . 

So it can happen with age, perhaps covid, or some other reason accelerated that issue . 

If it is long covid, the good news is that for most people it reverses itself after a while.

But perhaps it is some other reason. What have you been doing differently lately, if any  . Are you taking any new medications or have increased the dosage of existing ones?  Did you start taking vitamins or other supplements? 

I wish I could lose my taste for western food, I would be saving a lot of money. My wife wishes I would also, not only for the money, but because I make a mess when I cook.:laugh:   

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

but then you say you do taste

So you do taste but it is not normal, is that right? Or is it completely lost?

Can you smell your food?  If so is the smell normal or horrible?

Smell is OK....it's my ability to taste what I am eating...what I can taste is the awful taste if that makes sense. Spicy food seems OK, but then I have celiac disease and have to watch what I eat, also I have type 2 diebetis.....that might have a bearing, but it's easy to blame other things when the simple answer is what other people have. Long Covid 

Even a simple salad is inedible as are French fries , pasties pies etc

Tonight we will eat chicken with black pepper. Hopefully my wife will make it extra spicy and then I can eat it

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 12:33 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Smell is OK....it's my ability to taste what I am eating...what I can taste is the awful taste if that makes sense. Spicy food seems OK, but then I have celiac disease and have to watch what I eat, also I have type 2 diebetis.....that might have a bearing, but it's easy to blame other things when the simple answer is what other people have. Long Covid 

Even a simple salad is inedible as are French fries , pasties pies etc

Tonight we will eat chicken with black pepper. Hopefully my wife will make it extra spicy and then I can eat it

All those diseases you have.

You poor old man I feel empathy for you ,not easy at your age 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Yikes ... no taste or worse, foul taste.   I feel for y'all.

Thank my immune system for doing an excellent job, and my ability to be able to  do the social distancing thingy.   Knowing many couldn't due to their living circumstances.

Bless all and speedy recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yikes ... no taste or worse, foul taste.   I feel for y'all.

Thank my immune system for doing an excellent job, and my ability to be able to  do the social distancing thingy.   Knowing many couldn't due to their living circumstances.

Bless all and speedy recovery.

Yes THAIPAULY seems to be in a bad way with all the sickness and he's only 67 

A lot of these guys and I'm not talking about him in particular heaven forbid ,but they led alcohol driven lives in their younger years and now their paying the penalty 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

On 4/7/2024 at 9:33 AM, ThaiPauly said:

Smell is OK....it's my ability to taste what I am eating...what I can taste is the awful taste if that makes sense.

You can only taste 5 things: salt, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami. Sounds like your sense of smell is what is off. Are there other things that used to smell good but now don't? Perfumes, soaps, aftershave, fabric softeners, people, vanilla, garlic, onions,

...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Since Covid , caught in Phuket 2022, I cough.  A strong  dry cough which is very annoying. It comes in bouts two or three times a day. Seen multiple doctors etc nothing works.. They seem to think that it’s long Covid too.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

the vaccinations (please don't start on that) may have caused the many unknown reactions that have been evidenced in some people

I concur with your statement about the potential cause(s) of long COVID.   According to what I've read a large amount of people who had taken "the jab" ... but still became infected with the COVID virus have reported the symptoms of long COVID.  I wish you the best and hope it clears up sooner than later.

Edited by stats
unsourced and misinformation claims removed
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I concur with your statement about the potential cause(s) of long COVID. According to what I've read a large amount of people who had taken "the jab" ... but still became infected with the COVID virus have reported the symptoms of long COVID.  I wish you the best and hope it clears up sooner than later.

The jab does not stop you getting Covid.......🙄

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I concur with your statement about the potential cause(s) of long COVID.  According to what I've read a large amount of people who had taken "the jab" ... but still became infected with the COVID virus have reported the symptoms of long COVID.  I wish you the best and hope it clears up sooner than later.

Not a "large amount of people" if viewed as a percentage of the many  millions vaccinated.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(23)00414-9/fulltext

Vaccination reduces (but does not eliminate)  the incidence of long Covid.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not a "large amount of people" if viewed as a percentage of the many  millions vaccinated.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(23)00414-9/fulltext

Vaccination reduces (but does not eliminate)  the incidence of long Covid.

From your Jan. 2024 cited journal article above:

Interpretation

"Vaccination against COVID-19 consistently reduced the risk of long COVID symptoms, which highlights the importance of vaccination to prevent persistent COVID-19 symptoms, particularly in adults."

AND

"Studies suggest that approximately one in ten people infected with SARS-CoV-2 have persisting symptoms,10, 11 with increased risk for developing long COVID associated with age,10, 12 female sex,10, 12, 13 and comorbidities.12, 13

AND

Discussion

"Our analyses of more than 20 million vaccinated and unvaccinated people show the clinical effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines to prevent the development of long COVID in three European countries (the UK, Estonia, and Spain), with overall vaccine effectiveness ranging from 29% to 52%."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 hours ago, Peabody said:

You can only taste 5 things: salt, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami. Sounds like your sense of smell is what is off. Are there other things that used to smell good but now don't? Perfumes, soaps, aftershave, fabric softeners, people, vanilla, garlic, onions,

...?

I haven't noticed but now you have mentioned  it I will do that

On 4/11/2024 at 9:18 AM, ThaiPauly said:

Zinc, yes, I also take VIT D capsules, but I don't know what my level is

That's the funniest post I read ,had a good chuckle ,Probably not a high level Paul🤣, probably matches other levels .

Eat a lot of garlic, I try to eat it daily 

Edited by georgegeorgia