Jump to content

Pilot describes severity of smoke problem from forest fires in Chiang Mai


webfact

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In a second post, in response to several questions about how the smoke will affect flights approaching Chiang Mai airport, Captain Faisal responded by writing that thick smoke reduces visibility and pilots who were not trained in handling such a situation will not be able to land, even though the airport is equipped with a system to guide the pilots in the landing.

Not an issue for the modern commercial aircraft using the CAT III ILS landing system...

However smaller aircraft on VFR rules could have an issue should the visibility on approach be reduced to the point they cannot configure a safe landing.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Can't be very good for these engines sucking in all that crap, and the reduced oxygen IMO could lead to loss of power or even total  malfunction. 

"Reduced oxygen"? Where was this stated? 

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

However smaller aircraft on VFR rules could have an issue should the visibility on approach be reduced to the point they cannot configure a safe landing.

At Samui airport, if pilots cannot see the end of the runway from a certain distance out (2 K's?) then they have to 'go round' a few times until they can or they re-route.

This is usually during very heavy rain storms or low cloud.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Can't be very good for these engines sucking in all that crap, and the reduced oxygen IMO could lead to loss of power or even total  malfunction. 

Put some Hepa filters on the intakes and the engines would act as giant air purifiers.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Naroge said:

"Reduced oxygen"? Where was this stated? 

Engines need oxygen to ignite fuel, dust particles would not mix/burn well and do not contain oxygen so therefore reduced oxygen, that is my opinion.

Basic Science 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Engines need oxygen to ignite fuel, dust particles would not mix/burn well and do not contain oxygen so therefore reduced oxygen, that is my opinion.

Basic Science 

Consider how engines manage the lower levels of O2 when at cruising altitudes of 30,000 feet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are only two airports in Thailand that can accommodate AUTO-Landings. BKK and DMK both have Cat II approaches.

Chiang Mai (CNX) has Category 1 approach ILS which is NOT autoland. The minimums are 233ft where you must SEE the runway required criteria, then you disconnect the auto pilot and land manually.

 

In other words, heavy rain or smog can prevent a landing and go around.

 

Cheers!

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

WTF?

IFR = Instrument flight rules are rules and regulations to govern flight under conditions in which flight by outside visual reference is not safe. IFR flight depends upon flying by reference to instruments in the flight deck, and navigation is accomplished by reference to electronic signals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mania said:

IFR = Instrument flight rules are rules and regulations to govern flight under conditions in which flight by outside visual reference is not safe. IFR flight depends upon flying by reference to instruments in the flight deck, and navigation is accomplished by reference to electronic signals.

yep exactly

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2024 at 5:06 PM, PumpkinEater said:

There are only two airports in Thailand that can accommodate AUTO-Landings. BKK and DMK both have Cat II approaches.

Chiang Mai (CNX) has Category 1 approach ILS which is NOT autoland. The minimums are 233ft where you must SEE the runway required criteria, then you disconnect the auto pilot and land manually.

 

In other words, heavy rain or smog can prevent a landing and go around.

 

Cheers!

In previous years when pollution is very very bad planes have been diverted to other airports.

I have not seen any reports of that happening this year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...