Two rangers killed, 8 injured in Narathiwat ambush

main.png

Two para-military rangers were killed and eight others were injured in an ambush by southern insurgents in Rue So district of the southern Thai province of Narathiwat on Sunday.

It is reported that a 10-man ranger unit, led by Captain Chaiyuth Sukbu, was on its way to visit villagers building an arch, to celebrate the end of Ramadan, when they came under attack from insurgents hiding in roadside bushes in Batong sub-district.

Rangers Prakong Sudthanang and Wittaya Bua-ngam died in the exchange of gunfire.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I'd love to move to the South and be close to the Andaman Sea but the ongoing problems down there are a cause for concern. 

Pity about that. 

Next to nothing insurgency on that side of the coast.

• Agree 1

i thought negotiations  were going with the Muslims  in the south

seems like everywhere they will agree nothing - cut them loose - what does it matter, let them support themselves, what do  they want,  thailand doesn't have a welfare system like we have in the west - let them do their own thing as long they stay there, what is the actual problem 

Edited by smedly

RIP to the brave young men that died doing their duty too ?

kids with  a mom and dad - did they deserve this

muslims - violence will be met with violence, a never ending cycle of death, how about peace

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

i thought negotiations  were going with the Muslims  in the south

Likely Thailand is geberally not negotiating in good faith, ie., allow Malay Mudlims semi-autonomy, that creates militant backslash. 

let them support themselves, what do  they want,  thailand doesn't have a welfare system like we have in the west - let them do their own thing as long they stay there, what is the actual problem

The problem is that Thailand won't allow the Malay Muslim citizens of the subjugated Kingdom of Patani "to do what the want" because of Thailand's illegal occupation.

RIP to the brave young men that died doing their duty too ?

The para-military rangers are paid mercenaries. 

Doing their duty? Or just doing what they're paid to do without regular RTM soldiers exposing themselves to possible attack.

The mercenaries were dispatched "to visit villagers building an arch, to celebrate the end of Ramada." Just Malay Muslims celebrating their faith and traditions.

Thai military presence was unnecessary, likely sent to intimidate the citizens to remind them they are under controll by the Buddhist Kingdom of Thailand. Remind Malays their religion, traditions and customs are subservient to KoT. Especially offensive while Thailand is allegedly attempting peace negotiations with the insurregency over the future of the region.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The para-military rangers are paid mercenaries. 

Do your homework. The para-military Rangers are NOT mercenaries and it is insulting to call them thus.

The Thahan Phran (ทหารพราน; literally "hunter soldiers"; AKA Thai Rangers) AKA the Royal Thai Paramilitary Force is a paramilitary light infantry force which patrols the borders of Thailand and is an auxiliary of the Royal Thai Army 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thahan_Phran

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I'd love to move to the South and be close to the Andaman Sea but the ongoing problems down there are a cause for concern. 

Pity about that. 

There is plenty of Andaman sea coastline without insurgents from the south. Trang to Ranong gives you plenty of scope! Yu man lon likem nambis?

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Do your homework. The para-military Rangers are NOT mercenaries and it is insulting to call them thus.

The Thahan Phran (ทหารพราน; literally "hunter soldiers"; AKA Thai Rangers) AKA the Royal Thai Paramilitary Force is a paramilitary light infantry force which patrols the borders of Thailand and is an auxiliary of the Royal Thai Army 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thahan_Phran

34 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

They weren't patrolling the border.

You did read the full article that I referred you to I trust? I doubt it.

'Units of the Thahan Phran have been sent to the deep south to curb the South Thailand insurgency since 2004'.