Military Service, How Avoid?

tutta55

Hi,

A friend of me will have to do military service in the next year or so. A 2 year stretch in Thailand! He wants to get out of it if possible.

First of all, the drafting system foresees a lottery to decide if you have to do service or not, right? If you have to do service, I heared that you still can get out of it by paying 'some' amount to 'somebody'. The amount I heared of is between 10K and 15K Baht. Does anyone know more details about this? Who do you have to pay? Is this possible everywhere or only in some provinces?

Thanks for any information

tutta

Jeff1

I don't believe you can compare the USA system with the Thai system.

The conditions and local policies are too different.Some districts with a lot of "volunteers" don't even need a lottery.

Isn't the army in USA, a professional army?

People ,who don't like the army ,are not automatically "chicken shit', or lazy or cowards :o and NO , I am not a left winger!

(btw I did my time in Holland,almost 2 years!)

A thai male friend of my wife had lived in Aussie for a long time and didn't return until after he was 27.I believe that after this age you are "free".

That's a bit of an expensive option I'd say.

Well it was a side effect of being educated and then working in Aussie.But nethertheless, no time served.

Nice that you're being so understanding.

In western countries it's all quite easy. Most just come out of school and get a break before having to work. No worries, free food, cheap beer. Meanwhile mom and dad will pay the bills.

My friend now has a job that earns him about 4500 Baht a month, which allows him to at least give some support to his family. He doesn't need a 2 year pause where earnings drop down to close to nothing. That is why he would like to get out of this sacred duty.

Avoid military service! It'll be the best fun you ever had. I enjoyed it so much, that I did it three times, in three different countries, boot camp and all! Call me mad but there's nothing like freezing your arse off in the Brecons in mid-winter, frying your gonads off in some ant infested waddie or frantically swinging out your rigging lines as the earth screams up to meet you. You'll make the best mates of your life out there, and everything after will be gravy. Don't fight it, enjoy it. :o

firstly,

he won't "have" to do military service, but he has to participate in the lottery. If he is selected, the he will serve out the 2 years. The odds vary between districts.

Secondly, as for the paying off people, that has become a lot harder in recent years, so that can probably be ruled out.

What will most likely happen is that his district will fill its quota of soldiers via volunteers. If that is the case, turning up on registration day will be a formality. He will be recorded as having attended his conscription day, and won't be needed for future duty.

He can try turning up for the lottery "late", that is on the 3rd day of of conscription, odds are that he won't have to take part as the quota for the district will be filled by that stage.

Alternatively, if you friend has a university degree, if he volunteers, he will only have to serve out 6 months of army duty, rather than the 2 full years.

Nice that you're being so understanding.

In western countries it's all quite easy. Most just come out of school and get a break before having to work. No worries, free food, cheap beer. Meanwhile mom and dad will pay the bills.

My friend now has a job that earns him about 4500 Baht a month, which allows him to at least give some support to his family. He doesn't need a 2 year pause where earnings drop down to close to nothing. That is why he would like to get out of this sacred duty.

Good thing everyone's not as selfish as your friend is.

You have a very selfish friend sir, I live in the states and I saw on the news recently a soldier deserting his unit because he disagreed with the war in iraq. He is not even an american citizen. he is now back in the states "safe" whatever safe means nowadays. I have something to ask, if 9/11 happend in thailand or a terrorist incident happend there who would your friend pay to get out of it. :o

I see on the news everyday americans dying pretty much for the world not just for the USA and everyone is arguing about it. Only a few country's have said thank you. I know if another terrorist incident happens again in the US I am going to be with the men who are going to fight.

"only way evil will prevail is when good men stand aside and do nothing"

chok dee

Get breast implants and become a ladyboy....works everytime :o

Have to be full op I reckon, a LB friend did mil. service and told me there there were at least 2 others in his/her unit.

Perhaps some of the dickheads who like getting pissed and abusing LBs might like to remember some are ex-squaddies!

Hi,

A friend of me will have to do military service in the next year or so. A 2 year stretch in Thailand! He wants to get out of it if possible.

First of all, the drafting system foresees a lottery to decide if you have to do service or not, right? If you have to do service, I heared that you still can get out of it by paying 'some' amount to 'somebody'. The amount I heared of is between 10K and 15K Baht. Does anyone know more details about this? Who do you have to pay? Is this possible everywhere or only in some provinces?

Thanks for any information

tutta

To try and ANSWER the question ...

If he wishes to pay to avoid MS

then it has to be arranged

"under the Table" BEFORE the Lottery.

I have heard the figures you mention

a couple of years ago.

Not sure of the Current situation.

I think it will be too late after the Lottery

if he picks a Red Ticket.

It is true that recently there were many more

Black Tickets than Red - because the number of

volunteers were many - due to unemployment

- not due to a "call to duty".

With Thai army going to Iraq, the number

of Volunteers might have fallen

and the "risk" of a red ticket increased.

Roger

My wife has a young brother, win the lottery and have to go. He was not happy when he leave his family. Now he learn to repair wehicles and planning to open a small bussiness to repair cars and big machinestuff and he said is not so bad that

he think it was. And Thailand need a strong army to fight the muslims in south.

military service

Give him tennis lessons

Let him become a world-class tennis player

Paradorn S did that, then voluntered a little bit

Voila. No Military Service

Or would you rather learn how Chalerm S two oldest sons avoided military service? That's a story for tomorrow ... (if I can remember the details that is)

You have a very selfish friend sir, I live in the states and I saw on the news recently a soldier deserting his unit because he disagreed with the war in iraq. He is not even an american citizen. he is now back in the states "safe" whatever safe means nowadays. I have something to ask, if 9/11 happend in thailand or a terrorist incident happend there who would your friend pay to get out of it. 

I see on the news everyday americans dying pretty much for the world not just for the USA and everyone is arguing about it. Only a few country's have said thank you.

Genius. What the four-hashes has that got to do with National Service?

Let me ask you this: If the US decided to have a call up, do you think there would or would not be a public outcry?

Terroism has been going on for a lot longer than 9/11, and Iraq had nothing to do with that either! If it did happen in LOS, many Thais would volunteer. It is in their nationalistic nature. It doesn't carry that they would draft-dodge an attack simply because they do not want to do National Service.

I see on the news every day Americans (and Brits) dying not for the the USA or EVERYONE, but because GW told them to to please Daddy and reduce the risk of over dependancy on foreign oil (of course not renhegging on the Kyoto agreement may have helped too).

I know if another terrorist incident happens again in the US I am going to be with the men who are going to fight.
are you old enough?

Personally, I like National Service. I think it help with maturity, team work, makes for good friendships, attitude, discipline, leadership, skilling and broadens the horizons. I do think though that if a school leaver is going on to further education or has landed themselves a job, then it should be postponed (or cancelled after max age reached).

Never did me any harm - and I even got to kill people!

How could anyone pass up the chance to travel the world, go to exotic countries, meet interesting people and kill them! All while your government picks up the tab.

Best part is you come away from it with a little discipline in your life. Maybe it even makes you a better person.

Besides 2 years will go so fast it will be lover before you know it.

The best part is when you retire you can live in Pattaya drink beer all day, fondle young girls and talk about how big of a bad arse you used to be in the military.

I see on the news everyday americans dying pretty much for the world not just for the USA and everyone is arguing about it. Only a few country's have said thank you. I know if another terrorist incident happens again in the US I am going to be with the men who are going to fight.

They're not dying for my country - because my country is not at war. They're not dying for Thailand either, because Thailand isn't at war. They're only dying for a country that started a war in the first place. And to me, that's a pretty stupid reason to die for.

As for the topic, every country has its own laws about not doing military service so i recommend you check with your embassy or consulate.

I think that this topic has lost focus. Whether your government is correct or not in choosing its military adventures, one becomes a soldier and serves the commanders, whether they are right or wrong, as a matter of moral obligation. It is a business of taking your lumps for your nation when the nation requires it. I don't know any honest person who would say that military service is all fun. It has its hard and extremely frustrating dimensions, but I do think that you can hold your head up a little better if you serve.

I served in the US Army for nine years and found it to be low-paid, back-breaking work. I struggled through three years of service in Vietnam and then took an honorable discharge. What has really surprised me in the years since then is the number of men I have met who seem to have an inferiority complex for not having served. Who would have thought that there was such a psychological price to pay for dodging service in what was a very unpopular war? (But then, what war is really popular?)

Summing up, military service might be low-paying, frustrating and dangerous work, but there apparently is something to be gained from the knowledge that you were one of the champions of your country when it needed you. If you serve, you could get a lift in self-esteem and personal empowerment from putting up with the downside of military service.

Having said all this, ultimately each man or woman must make the choice that he or she can live with, but it's good to think of the consequences down the road. :o

I did do my national service for 18 months, although under protest.

On the very first day I learned how to clean windows by using water and newspapers. That as well was my last job. Boy, was I an expert by that time.

So one thing I really learned. Should someone attack my country, I will fetch all available used papers, clean the windows in order my superiors have a clear view.

Otherwise, and now I am no longer cynical, do the bl**dy service, it will teach you how to pay respect to somebody you despise, it will teach you how to integrate yourself into a band of unequal brothers and yes, it will bring respect lateron, you can say "I did my duty".

Perhaps, with this background I could win a presidential race, my file is still there, somewhere in the basement.

The problem of course is somewhere else, some politician, e.g. in Thailand, send you to Baghdad to protect the freedom. As I Thai soldier I would say 'allay krup?"

You have a very selfish friend sir, I live in the states and I saw on the news recently a soldier deserting his unit because he disagreed with the war in iraq. He is not even an american citizen. he is now back in the states "safe" whatever safe means nowadays. I have something to ask, if 9/11 happend in thailand or a terrorist incident happend there who would your friend pay to get out of it. :o

In Thailand, they have people dying every day.

Basically from lack of money.

And for a developping country, Thai people are quite lucky.

Not TOO many of them die.

There are far worse cases.

Thousands of people die every day from malnutrition, disease, whatever,...

I'm sure if a 9/11 happens in their country (including Thailand), they will be ready not to eat to give more money to the military.

So that more people die to avoid that a few die, however outrageous and unacceptable I find these terrorist attacks.

Don't you think the few billions dollars spent in the Irak war would have been better spent in fighting poverty in the terrorists "reservoirs"?

I could write for quite some time on the subject but I do not want to compete with Yohan.

So, anyway, I prefer to stop here and I'm sorry but in conclusion, I'm not sure his friend is the most selfish.

Be happy and sleep well, Sir.