Visa expiring over Songkran

Hi there

A friend is on a 30 day tourist visa exempt which expires coming Monday. 

She wants to leave to apply for a tourist visa however seems to struggle to get an appointment at any of the bordering countries embassies due to Songkran. She needs to be back in Bangkok by Sunday 21st for a job interview with a School.

According to the embassy she's only allowed 2 visa exempt stamps per year (UK passport) which i believe nobody cares about however she doesn't want to risk getting denied or overstaying as she's worried about it affecting her future work visa.

Note: She's on her second exempt for this year 

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Also, does she need an appointment for the embassy in Phnom Penh? 

Appreciate your inputs!

Jo

The 2 entry limit is by LAND.  By air there is no such limit although questions will be asked if continuous entries are made with little time out of the country.  I think she is out of time to get a visa from Phnom Phen, No appointment is needed but it takes 3 full working days according to their website and the soonest she could apply is Wednesday 16th, therefore collect on Monday 22nd.

She could go to immigration on 17th and apply for a 30 day extension, I think they will overlook the overstay as they were closed.  She should have gone yesterday of course but that's history.

Did she extend her visa exempt entry already?

If not, she could do that when immigration reopens after Songkran (next Wednesday, the 17th) without being subjected to paying an overstay fine. Best to expect that immigration will be packed to the rafters after the holidays, so arrive early and be very patient.

If she hasn't entered visa exempt twice BY LAND yet this calendar year, a border run would be an option. 

A flight out today or tomorrow and a short visit in another country until flying back in on the 20th is what I would personally do to avoid any possible overstay stamp or the HUGE crowds after holidays. My permission to stay was also due to expire this Monday so I renewed it for another year at the beginning of April to be safe. If she plans to work/live here awhile, let her know she can apply for extensions up to 30 days in advance next time instead of leaving it until the last few days during the biggest immigration holiday period.

Edited by Ohyesuare

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

She can obtain a 30 day extension after paying few days overstay at immigration.  

Kind of an aside to this weekend's urgent need, but if the school offers her a job, will she be able to convert the visa exempt entry to a long stay/WP visa without her leaving Thailand again?

Edited by impulse

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Aren't some (all?) offices requiring a TM-30 to extend a visa waiver?

Yes, some certainly are, CW for example, although not consistently.  Best have one just in case.

14 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Aren't some (all?) offices requiring a TM-30 to extend a visa waiver?

Yes.

Along with basic photocopies of pp pages 

TM7 with photo and 1900b 

If doing it in Bangkok (visa exempt entry) will attend IT mall LakSi

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Don't you just love it when an OP asks a question and then doesn't check back for replies. Can't be that urgent.

Agree and OP has been given options for situation.

Thread closed.