UFC 300: Jim Miller set for unprecedented landmark fight with Bobby Green

CharlieH

image.png

When Jim Miller walks out at a sold out T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to face Bobby Green at UFC 300 on Saturday, he will set a unique record.

The American lightweight is the only athlete who also fought at the UFC's landmark 100 and 200 events.

The 40-year-old was victorious at both, beating Mac Danzig in 2009 and Takanori Gomi in 2016.

When Miller faced the press at the pre-fight media conference, he sported a commemorative UFC 100 jacket to celebrate his achievement.

"This is the first time I've ever worn it. I pulled it out of the closet, there's still dog hair on it. It's been in the closet for 15 years and I was like 'do you know what, this is the week to bring this out'," said Miller.

"Funnily enough, all the fighters are getting a UFC 300 jacket. But nobody else on the card has got this puppy."

Miller debuted in the UFC in 2008 and holds the record for the most fights in the organisation at 43 and the most wins, totalling 26.

What makes Miller's longevity more remarkable is that before UFC 200, he was having doubts if he would make it to the event.

Miller was suffering from Lyme disease - a condition caught from tick bites with symptoms including tiredness and loss of energy.

"When I first started talking about [UFC 300] I was like 'OK, maybe I'll drag myself to that card', because that's what I was doing for 200 - I was having a really rough time," said Miller.

"I feel I have four parts to my career - the prelim career, Lyme disease, coming out of Lyme and figuring out how to make this work being over 35. And now I've figured it out and got the right people around me."

Miller has never fought for a title during his 16-year UFC career but championships will not define his legacy.

READ MORE

sPORT-bbc.png