Taurine for life extension -- if you're old already why wait for the research on humans?

Greetings.. 

As a 'Septuagenarian', enjoying life here to the fullest, as long as we can, with the possible (no reason why not) affordable enhancements (better living through Chemistry?) to 'slow it all down'.. After much research, for like mind and body, here's some recommendations from my daily regimen:

After the most important, Exercise, Sleep, Sex, Stresslessness, Music and Gratitude!

A Sensible Compassionate Sensitive balanced Diet, with a healthy dose of Moderation esp with substances that the body is more challenged to process, in our advanced years...

Medicinal 'Shrooms powder- Cordyceps, Lions Mane, Reishi in Tea

Occasional and frequent Herbal enhancements including: Ashwaganda, Maca Root, Curcumin (Turmeric), Finger Root, Centella Asiatica (Pennywort, Gotakola, (Thai: Bua Bok), Moringa Oleifera (leaves & Bean Pods),  

non essential Amino Acid powder cocktail (meaning not the 9 essentials needed to form protein),

GlyNAC = Glycine + N-acetyl Cysteine, Taurine, L-Serine 

can buy all in bulk on Laz. Start with 500 mgs of each, blend and keep airtight...

2 tsp (1/2 tsp) is about 2 grams of each . 

optional: add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Ascorbic Acid powder with 1/8 to 1/4 Bicarb Soda..

wisk into water, juice, Kombucha or sprinkle on fruit and cereal. It has a nice tart taste!

NMN 500mgs, NR 250 mgs, D3 5 -10k IU's (125 - 250mcgs) + K2, Sirolimus (Rapamycin) 2-5 mgs, B12 5000mcg, Magnesium Threonate 350mgs, time release Melatonin 5mgs, A strong Multi-vite, Quercetin, Berberine, Bi annual Epitalon (look it up). 

PM me for further details or sources.. 

• Agree 1

On 4/14/2024 at 1:55 AM, Jingthing said:

If you're older, money has much much less value than TIME.

I have no idea of doses but I checked on Lazada and the supplements aren't expensive, so that objection is a non issue.

Again, I'm not recommending that anyone do this.

But I am asking -- if you're old already, why not?

Doubt if it does help much after reading this: Taurine Benefits and Side Effects (clevelandclinic.org)

and further more, yes these aminos are produced in and by the body, but less and less as we age, so waisted on the youngish.. Energy drinks have about 1gm of Taurine in them, not enough (unless you drink a couple a day?). 

32 minutes ago, TantrikLvr said:

and further more, yes these aminos are produced in and by the body, but less and less as we age, so waisted on the youngish.. Energy drinks have about 1gm of Taurine in them, not enough (unless you drink a couple a day?). 

At least five. Definitely not the way to get taurine.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:16 PM, Tropicalevo said:

What fool would want to live forever?

We all have a 'sell by date'. Accept it.

Someone may have already mentioned it but  

Yes we all know that I'm sure but when most folks talk about longevity it is about being functional for what ever time you do have.

Surprising how many sit around saying their old so their done. The last 5-10 years of their life they may be in more & more pain to just do simple things.... then they will wish they were done 😉 

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, TantrikLvr said:

Greetings.. 

PM me for further details or sources.. 

Your regime is not for everybody! Im not commenting on each and one has proven scientific benefits or not, but I would be concerned about some few could interact negative together, and especially if you are on any other prescription medication. 

How often do you do bloodwork? 

Where do you get your inspiration from?

I found several promising youtube gurus, very often some kind of dr,  who claim they are science based, but true for all of them, at one point they get corrupted and click driven. 

I have found for me who exercise +- 12 hours a week.

Whey protein

Bcaa with electrolytes

Creatine

Vitamin d

Turmeric curcumin 

Omega3

Rich food in nutrients, meat, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, oatmeal, vegetables, fruit, fresh coconut water, youghurt, 

4-5 liter of water pr day 

If I did not work out, I would skip whey protein, bcaa and creatine, no need if you manage to eat balanced and enough makros for your lifestyle. 

I tried to add lions mane and chaga, but it is all about what you feel you need, akd how much youare going to digest during a day. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

An interesting topic with the various opinions and perspectives.

Probably it is the aspect of maintaining  quality of life physiologically and neurologically that would be most important to the  already elderly ( self included ). Longevity without functionality I observe as a form of torture !

A comprehensive coverage of recent research is found here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10574552/

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

Your regime is not for everybody! Im not commenting on each and one has proven scientific benefits or not, but I would be concerned about some few could interact negative together, and especially if you are on any other prescription medication. 

How often do you do bloodwork? 

Where do you get your inspiration from?

I found several promising youtube gurus, very often some kind of dr,  who claim they are science based, but true for all of them, at one point they get corrupted and click driven. 

I have found for me who exercise +- 12 hours a week.

Whey protein

Bcaa with electrolytes

Creatine

Vitamin d

Turmeric curcumin 

Omega3

Rich food in nutrients, meat, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, oatmeal, vegetables, fruit, fresh coconut water, youghurt, 

4-5 liter of water pr day 

If I did not work out, I would skip whey protein, bcaa and creatine, no need if you manage to eat balanced and enough makros for your lifestyle. 

I tried to add lions mane and chaga, but it is all about what you feel you need, akd how much youare going to digest during a day. 

Admirable regimen! You must be in great shape, if you've been doing that for a long time?   Of course one must adjust for individual energy levels, stamina and vitality, all of which we can enhance a bit.

Since you asked, My geriatric workout is a couple of hours, every other day, including yoga, pushups, pullups, inversion table sit-ups and planking. Then an hour in the pool, doing gloved aqua aerobic isokinetic exercises, all to inspirational and motivating music..  I drink the amino acid cocktail with Kombucha, vit C and Creatine before and after workout, just in case anyone wants to experiment and try it? 

Accurate blood work, semi annually.. Quite concerned about and try to research and watch interactions of some of these, but admittedly, at this age, why not carefully and sensibly try? Wary of the so called guru's and try to see through and take what is useful from as many sources as possible. 

I admire those who can actually drink 5 liters of water and 2 hours every day of workout for a much older person is exhausting just to think about! I'm glad to get 2 liters..  One must just watch and play with the 'Edges' of our endurance, adjust and Fine Tune the recovery times, which will for sure change over time...

My diet for over half a century has been devoid and absent of any living being with eyes and a mother (and no Oysters)... Yet Plant protein focused.. I make my own med 'shroom mix and take daily. Using local, so no Chaga.. a lot of dry and fresh Lions mane, getting popular, available online and in Tops, etc.. 

Wish more senior people and friends will be inspired to invest a bit of time and baht and look into, follow our advice, example and try at least some of our recommendations...   

50 minutes ago, TantrikLvr said:

Admirable regimen! You must be in great shape, if you've been doing that for a long time?   Of course one must adjust for individual energy levels, stamina and vitality, all of which we can enhance a bit.

Since you asked, My geriatric workout is a couple of hours, every other day, including yoga, pushups, pullups, inversion table sit-ups and planking. Then an hour in the pool, doing gloved aqua aerobic isokinetic exercises, all to inspirational and motivating music..  I drink the amino acid cocktail with Kombucha, vit C and Creatine before and after workout, just in case anyone wants to experiment and try it? 

Accurate blood work, semi annually.. Quite concerned about and try to research and watch interactions of some of these, but admittedly, at this age, why not carefully and sensibly try? Wary of the so called guru's and try to see through and take what is useful from as many sources as possible. 

I admire those who can actually drink 5 liters of water and 2 hours every day of workout for a much older person is exhausting just to think about! I'm glad to get 2 liters..  One must just watch and play with the 'Edges' of our endurance, adjust and Fine Tune the recovery times, which will for sure change over time...

My diet for over half a century has been devoid and absent of any living being with eyes and a mother (and no Oysters)... Yet Plant protein focused.. I make my own med 'shroom mix and take daily. Using local, so no Chaga.. a lot of dry and fresh Lions mane, getting popular, available online and in Tops, etc.. 

Wish more senior people and friends will be inspired to invest a bit of time and baht and look into, follow our advice, example and try at least some of our recommendations...   

All my life been occupied with some activity, but now I am doing strenght training 6 days a week in a 3 split for the last 8 years with a few longer brakes because of work, and low intensity exercises, walking, hiking, swimming, rowing, padling just depending on where I am, and whats available. 

Water regime is manageable if you always drink 300cl every half an hour from 6 in the morning to 8 in the evening. 

And when exercising I always drink more, especially here in Thailand. 

First thing when I wake up before coffe is 300cl, which sometimes is 5 already.