Songkran expected to boost Thailand’s economy with billions

webfact

17 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Sounds like gossip to me. Around CM moat pricing was under half what you say. 

Saw such numbers on Vlogs from Pattaya and Khao Sahn/Silom in Bangkok! 

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

BS

This is not extra revenue, money spent during Songkran is money not spent elsewhere... 

I wonder how many people who normally spend money regularly confined themselves to to where they live.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

Right, your claim to forum cred will have to be based merely on the usual cynicism.

I don't deny being a cynic, but I seek no credibility on here,  You on the other hand don't need to seek credibility as  you think you  already know more than everybody else. So you have assumed and confirmed your credibility, all on your very own. Well done

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I was talking about the locals who also only have so much disposable money each month.

TAT: ANF has always refused to recognize the existence and positive effects of domestic tourism in Thailand--which, BTW, kept the Pattaya economy alive during COVID. (NO it did not replace international tourism.) However, our UK Economists of course recognize its economic contribution in their own country. For example, domestic tourism, importantly including day trippers from London, are critical to the local economy of Brighton. If you look up the annual economic reports you'll find they squawk if domestic tourism is "down."

Most tourists to Corpus Christi, Texas, are USA domestic tourists who ALSO only have so much disposable money each month. Touring is far more expensive there.

Power of Travel 2

--https://www.visitcorpuschristi.com/about-us/power-of-travel/

10 million visitors generated $1.4 billion. Int'l tourism bureaus use the same metric as TAT. WOT???

The real TAT (the one with all the fake figures we never refute with our own) always knew this but has encouraged domestic tourism a lot more after its dramatic effect during and immediately after COVID. Hence all the festivals and promotions now aimed at Thais.

TAT deputy governor for Domestic Marketing Thapanee Kiatphaibool said on Wednesday that Thai tourists took 200 million trips across provinces by the end of October this year compared to 222 million for the year before the Covid-19 pandemic in 2019. . . . Thapanee also expects Thai tourists to generate 800 billion baht, higher than the targeted 656 billion baht, on rising domestic family travel and conferences.

--Thailand’s domestic tourism flying high, expected to surpass pre-Covid level

Note that new word for you, generate. The 800 billion is a total reflecting the multiplier effect you've recently learned about. It's revenue stimulating new economic activity that would not have happened if the tourists had just stayed home. 

Though our Economists (notably the Pattaya forum's now-departed biggest troll), out of the usual bigotry, believe Thais can only afford to spread a mat out on the beaches for *som tam and SangSom, then go home, in fact many have appreciable disposable income. Wealthier Thais (relatively) give money to their extended family members for recreational purposes as well. 

Edited by BigStar