Spelling And Grammer

i am sorry but does the english really matter. it isn't a spelling compition it is website for passing on infomation.

as long as poeple understand what is being said then the spelling takes second place.

if people want to have a spelling bash use this thread. use the other threads to post info on the disered topic.

i am sorry maybe this is to sensible for people to unserstand :o

how about inventing a new language. call it I.I.S.L Internet International Speaking Language. that should stop the confusion. basically mean if u understand what is being said then no problem. if not. either ask to explain or read the next thread.

i should become a moderater. can i become one now i can speak I.I.S.L.

Being too strict on spelling and grammar on a forum with so many non-native English speakers is ridiculous and can chase away people with something worthwhile to contribute. A native speaker should be able to figure out most of the "gibberish". But what about the others with lesser English skills?

Then sometimes sentences here make absolutely no sense at all and a clarification is needed. However, IMO, it should be asked for in a polite manner.

i am sorry but does the english really matter. it isn't a spelling compition it is website for passing on infomation.

as long as poeple understand what is being said then the spelling takes second place.

if people want to have a spelling bash use this thread. use the other threads to post info on the disered topic.

thanks for posting this because i have not posted anything because of fear of been laugh it

thanks for posting this because i have not posted anything because of fear of been laugh it

Who made your other 35 posts?

Who made your other 35 posts?

i made the 35 post

Purpose of communication is precisely that. To communicate. If the reader acts on the posting in a way the poster could have forseen then the posting was a success and communication took place. U States spelling differs from Uk spelling because they wished in creating a "new world" to get away from the ludicrous spelling rules that precluded upward social mobilty and egalitarianism in the old world. If we set too many spelling rules aren't we remaking that discrimination all over again. You can't convey any deep significant feelings with words. the language evolved to achieve things like "pass the salt" so you get the salt. It didn't evolve to explain the subtleties of thought and feeling. These pages work pretty well for the exchange of ideas. If bad spelling like "praise the slut" gets in the way of you seasoning your chips then we need to act. I have never found bad spelling so appalling as to obstruct understanding even if it makes it a little more difficult.

Purpose of communication is precisely that. To communicate. If the reader acts on the posting in a way the poster could have forseen then the posting was a success and communication took place. U States spelling differs from Uk spelling because they wished in creating a "new world" to get away from the ludicrous spelling rules that precluded upward social mobilty and egalitarianism in the old world. If we set too many spelling rules aren't we remaking that discrimination all over again. You can't convey any deep significant feelings with words. the language evolved to achieve things like "pass the salt" so you get the salt. It didn't evolve to explain the subtleties of thought and feeling. These pages work pretty well for the exchange of ideas. If bad spelling like "praise the slut" gets in the way of you seasoning your chips then we need to act. I have never found bad spelling so appalling as to obstruct understanding even if it makes it a little more difficult.

................sounds way over the top to me.......... could you give examples (especially "precluding upward mobility etc." - sounds way, way over the top........) other than dropping the "u" from most words containing "ou" (e.g. labour/labor), which, as a Brit, I´ve always laughed at.......... :o

................sounds way over the top to me.......... could you give examples (especially "precluding upward mobility etc." - sounds way, way over the top........) other than dropping the "u" from most words containing "ou" (e.g. labour/labor), which, as a Brit, I´ve always laughed at.......... :o

Brits always laugh at the yanks. But thats the truth.........they did it deliberately so that immigrants with a poor education would not be disadvantaged. It's in the congressional record and one of the many things the Yanks can be proud of...........even if Iraq and the rest of the sorry mess from the worst administration ever isn't anything to boast of. examples, program, analyze, fulfill, dialog, encyclopedia, check, plow, license, pajamas, etc etc etc

Is it really too much trouble to use a spell checker? That would improve matters by eliminating most typos. Proper spelling and grammar are necessary for good communication. If you can't communicate effectively how do you expect peeps to take on board your ideas and philosophies?

I have every sympathy with those whose native language is not English but how can you improve your clarity of expression unless you make an effort? Abraham Lincoln taught himself to write by writing on the back of a shovel that he held in a fire and look where he got to be.

Yeah. I know. Assassinated.

Is it really too much trouble to use a spell checker? That would improve matters by eliminating most typos. Proper spelling and grammar are necessary for good communication. If you can't communicate effectively how do you expect peeps to take on board your ideas and philosophies?

I have every sympathy with those whose native language is not English but how can you improve your clarity of expression unless you make an effort? Abraham Lincoln taught himself to write by writing on the back of a shovel that he held in a fire and look where he got to be.

And what about communicating with a taxi driver in HongKong or Singapore ?

Like it or not, the English language is becoming more than a mean to communicate with native speakers, in fact those native speakers are a minority ...

I have often seen that the requisite for "good english" is in fact a "shut up"-like old colonial reflex.

And it is not needed for thaïs who are naturally too shy to speak english by fear of losing face if any of your kind tells them that they don't speak "proper".

Well done, BigC, just 6 spelling mistakes in your opening! But it is understandable.

I am not a native English speaker and I just want you to write in a way people like me can understand what you mean.

Thank you for making efforts!

I donunt thynk that spelling is such a big issue on forums, but you know what? As ya type most misspelled words are sommer underlined, and easy to fix withtha mousy. So why not fixem?

Grammar is another issue, but grammatical mistakes are more unnerstandable, huh?

I think Big C should be congratulated. He has managed to invent a whole new language.

Unfortunately it is one that only he understands.

Keep it up Big C as your cryptic posts give my brain a good work out trying to convert them to English.

i don't want to use a spell checker becuase i want my message put across quicky. i might use one if i was applying for a job interview or ifi was writing a book

i don't want to use a spell checker becuase i want my message put across quicky. i might use one if i was applying for a job interview or ifi was writing a book

It is fairly pointless trying to 'get a message across quickly' if the message ends up as being unintelligible.

I have normally lost interest in any of your posts by the tenth word, I have no idea what point you are trying to get across on any subject. And for me, the amount of effort that you put into your posts is fairly indicative of the amount of effort that you put into the entire thought process.

For non-native English speakers I make allowances and I applaud those that make an effort and try.

P.S. you don't apply for a job interview........ see..... total lack of thought, no message.

Can understand not wanting to use a online spell checker , they are slow and painfull to use if you don't have a very quick internet connection.

As someone suggested before, just change your broser to firefox and it will check as you type

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I am not a native English speaker and I just want you to write in a way people like me can understand what you mean.

Thank you for making efforts!

I think Claude Feller says it all here. No one minds a non-native english speakers attempts to get their message across, but it is very frustrating for everyone involved when a supposedly native English speaker is nearly incomprehensible. Imagine how difficult it must be for a non-native English speaker to decipher.

I never said anything about spelling or grammar or any of that. My point was that sometimes I and many others cannot understand what people are trying to say. I could care less about perfect spelling. I agree, as long as the message gets across it's ok but many times the message ISN'T getting across.

I was just making a comment about it. If people would just go back over their posts before posting then they might catch a lot of these problems and make their message more clear thereby saving a lot of confusion.

I mean if you're going to write something you want people to understand it right?

English is just one of the languages in this world, maybe we should all post in Thai, as this is a Thai related forum. That will show the English speaking people how difficult it is to communicate in another language. English is also not my native language, however i hear it all the time and speak it a lot. But even then, my sentences are probaly not 100% correct as is my spelling. As long as the message comes across it is sufficient.

I think when posts are made solely to point out someones spelling mistakes, they should be deleted.

In todays world it seems the only way to get things done. Asking does not work, punishing does.

Deleting those posts also helps to take away the irritation for most people who do not care about spelling mistakes.

It might work when we start reporting those posts that make no contribution to the thread and are only about other peoples spelling mistakes.

English is just one of the languages in this world, maybe we should all post in Thai, as this is a Thai related forum. That will show the English speaking people how difficult it is to communicate in another language. English is also not my native language, however i hear it all the time and speak it a lot. But even then, my sentences are probaly not 100% correct as is my spelling. As long as the message comes across it is sufficient.

I think when posts are made solely to point out someones spelling mistakes, they should be deleted.

In todays world it seems the only way to get things done. Asking does not work, punishing does.

Deleting those posts also helps to take away the irritation for most people who do not care about spelling mistakes.

It might work when we start reporting those posts that make no contribution to the thread and are only about other peoples spelling mistakes.

Except, of course, for the fact that forum rules state the only language allowed is English and Thai is allowed only in the Thai language forum. :o

I think, K Jean, the problem is when the message does not come across, asking for clarification is perfectly acceptable. If you don't understand the poster, then ask but let's try to be understanding of some people's language skills.

And lets not post some pedantic argument every time someone spells something wrong :D

/// CLOSED///