Taxis

did anyone read the letters in the bkk post today ?

one about a tourist being ripped off by a 'metered' taxi number 84.

locked his luggage in the boot and demanded double the agreed fee.Then thumped him a bit too.

i think it is about time the police enforced the use of meters.

if this can be done in bangkok,why can't it be done here ?

locked his luggage in the boot and demanded double the agreed fee.Then thumped him a bit too.

power of the owners ,samui people are a breed of there own ,more people should boycott these scum bags and maybe they would put them on ,maybe we should hunt down taxi no 84 and run him off the road .

Because from my observations there are about 2 police actively policing the island, and their days are already busy enough taking backhanders :o

Edited by mlkmnz

Blackmailed by cabbie

On July 22, Taxi Driver No.184 on the island of Samui held me and my friends to blackmail. He locked our bags in the boot of his car until we paid double the taxi fare quoted, knowing that we had a plane and ferry to catch.

He became very violent and assaulted me. If you do not do anything about these people, tourists will stop coming to Samui and Thailand.

lets get the right taxi .................................

:o

suspect the odds are in your favour .......................................

To the Samui vacationers, make sure that the resort you're booked at pick you up at the airport/ or other place. Make sure this is an agreement when reserving a room. Will help save some money. Or to expates, have a friend pick you up!

Boycott the bloody Taxi's!!!!

Edited by SamuiJens

power of the owners ,samui people are a breed of there own ,more people should boycott these scum bags and maybe they would put them on ,maybe we should hunt down taxi no 84 and run him off the road .

unfortunalty some of the wealth people are part time taxi drivers even policeman so be careful if u try and run them off the road. they have thier own laws. unfortunatly and alot of them have guns with liscences.

why do u think they are so confident about being cockey

Blackmailed by cabbie
On July 22, Taxi Driver No.184 on the island of Samui held me and my friends to blackmail. He locked our bags in the boot of his car until we paid double the taxi fare quoted, knowing that we had a plane and ferry to catch.

He became very violent and assaulted me. If you do not do anything about these people, tourists will stop coming to Samui and Thailand.

infact this might be a driver i had a problem with. did he have long hair and dark glass. he under took me on the road. then i tried to over take him. he blocked me. then slammed his brakes on forced me to slow down. then blocked me from over taking again. i was in too much of a hurry to get to the hpsitial. so i played his game then gave him the slip and turned left.

Blackmailed by cabbie

infact this might be a driver i had a problem with. did he have long hair and dark glass. he under took me on the road. then i tried to over take him. he blocked me. then slammed his brakes on forced me to slow down. then blocked me from over taking again. i was in too much of a hurry to get to the hpsitial. so i played his game then gave him the slip and turned left.

?????

Blackmailed by cabbie

?????

I understood you Big C.

Under take means passing another vehicle on the left hand side. Illegal in UK but not it seems in Samui.

Don NOT mess around with these guys! Even the locals talk of them as "Taxi-Mafia"!

Stay well away from their services and in traffic!

My Advice!

But then, I never had a problem, but I also never ask for problems!

It always takes 2!

There is a good reliable taxi service on Samui - "Samui shuttle" (??). I tried them last month:

Cheap, nice driver and good service.

I have talked with a local taxi driver once:

They are so expensive because after Tsunami many new cabs started on Samui - now with less customers

they have to ask more to get the same income. Strange logic but TIS This is Samui!

I hate the taxi, songteaw and mini buses. They are a rip off, the yellow taxis are definatley the worst offender though.

One major problem is there are too many of them. Just look at chaweng high street, 50% of the cars are taxi's or songteaw, constantly beeping horns, stopping in the middle of the road, not pulling over.

If there were less yellow cabs and the all used the meter, they would make better $ and the roads would be less congested especially in chaweng where less songtaews where they ply most of their trade

Don NOT mess around with these guys! Even the locals talk of them as "Taxi-Mafia"!

My Advice!

It always takes 2!

yes "Taxi-Mafia" !

My Advice!

It always takes 2!

Samuian, I already said that, :o:D :D

These guys really p&%s me off. It's the typical Thai mentality here, going for the big kill. They stand around all day waiting someone to pay over the odds for journey. But nobody wants to use them cause they know it's a rip off. If they actually turned on their meters and conducted business in a proper manner, they might be surprised how busy they are.

This is a perfect case for the tourist police, it is the tourist who are the victim of cime this is what these farang police are supposed to sort out is it not. here is their chance to prove their worth. take on the taxi's do your job instead of poncing around in fancy uniforms trying to look like robocop. the taxi's are one of Samui's biggest problems for tourist not returning. CRIME+TOURIST solution tourist police.

samui has had it because of rip off's etc the killer will be the extremelly high baht rate this year.

Having said that i have never had a problem, always make sure of the price before you set off, better still if you can avoid them do so

Another one to look out for is Taxis waiting for tourists at the airport. Last time I was there, a group of 3 drivers were quoting me a ridiculous price (400 bht) to run me and my wife around the corner to Bo Phut. I just laughed at them and caught a private mini bus for 70 bht. My point is though, that they looked mighty pissed after I had laughed at their attempt to rip me off. Meh.

I should also point out that i've stayed on Samui at least 8 times and have always had a blast there with no trouble at all. Mind you, I always hire a bike there.

i bet taxi 84 is an a**hole too

Completely agree...pretty much all of them are total scumbags...too bad there isn't anything we can do about them that would make any difference.

As RakSamui said, this IS a problem to be solved by the Tourist Police=HELLO TP!?

Another one to look out for is Taxis waiting for tourists at the airport. Last time I was there, a group of 3 drivers were quoting me a ridiculous price (400 bht) to run me and my wife around the corner to Bo Phut. I just laughed at them and caught a private mini bus for 70 bht. My point is though, that they looked mighty pissed after I had laughed at their attempt to rip me off. Meh.

I should also point out that i've stayed on Samui at least 8 times and have always had a blast there with no trouble at all. Mind you, I always hire a bike there.

ok for me this is why people have problems here, they would be pisssed off if you laghed at them, better to say no thank you politly and prefferably in Thai. laughing at thai's not a good idea

ok for me this is why people have problems here, they would be pisssed off if you laghed at them, better to say no thank you politly and prefferably in Thai. laughing at thai's not a good idea

I don't think that, if such offer was made to my (thaï) wife, she could refrain from showing her discontent !

And I even think she would engage in a (verbal) quarrel, I have seen quite few times this kind of events.

So the best I see is to act as an ordinary people, if someone takes you for a fool or an imbecile, the best reaction is to prove that you are not, and then to stay away from the "crooks".

But this is a line of conduct I adopted 28 years ago, when I came the first time in Thailand (and Samui) ...

NB:In fact, it is when someone accepts a stupid "deal" without arguing that he proves his stupidity to the locals !

I don't think that, if such offer was made to my (thaï) wife, she could refrain from showing her discontent !

And I even think she would engage in a (verbal) quarrel, I have seen quite few times this kind of events.

So the best I see is to act as an ordinary people, if someone takes you for a fool or an imbecile, the best reaction is to prove that you are not, and then to stay away from the "crooks".

But this is a line of conduct I adopted 28 years ago, when I came the first time in Thailand (and Samui) ...

NB:In fact, it is when someone accepts a stupid "deal" without arguing that he proves his stupidity to the locals !

laughing at, quarreling, arguing all over a few hundred baht. is your heatlth worth it, smile and so no thanks Samui has changed, these attitudes will get you a one way trip to the hospital in Samui 2007. far easier to smile and walk away. worth remebering if the quarrel went from verbal to physical it is you the farang male who would get the beating. still as always with my posts just the way i do things each to there own. never have a problem getting a taxi from airport to bohpud for 200 baht anyway.

As there are Holidays right now and the beginning of "Kao Phansaa" there are a lot of people on the move.

Today Nathon Ferry Pier - Baht Bus.. in No time full - he only kept yelling: "Chaweng, Chaweng!", 16 People each 50 Baht=800! Picked up another 2 on the road... +100=900! this may be up to 10 times a day - not a bad Income even compared to normal European incomes...and the yellow cabs 10x500=5000 +++ they make a killing every day in season THATS why they get nasty...licked blood, so to say!

20-30 would be absolutely enough for one full length run and the cabbies have to switch the meters on - I would go often with them...figure a run Nathon Chaweng by meter would be around 50-70 Baht...

500 is more then double the fare Emporium Suk. to Samut Prakan!

Edited by Samuian

As there are Holidays right now and the beginning of "Kao Phansaa" there are a lot of people on the move.

Today Nathon Ferry Pier - Baht Bus.. in No time full - he only kept yelling: "Chaweng, Chaweng!", 16 People each 50 Baht=800! Picked up another 2 on the road... +100=900! this may be up to 10 times a day - not a bad Income even compared to normal European incomes...and the yellow cabs 10x500=5000 +++ they make a killing every day in season THATS why they get nasty...licked blood, so to say!

20-30 would be absolutely enough for one full length run and the cabbies have to switch the meters on - I would go often with them...figure a run Nathon Chaweng by meter would be around 50-70 Baht...

10 times a day Nathon-Chaweng !

And then, what bill one would have in a hospital to repair the damage to the spine ?

How much is an operation to a vertebral disc ?

In fact they work very little, one run is enough for a taxi for one (or even more) day !

It is typical, make some quick money, then go drink beers and then ... sleep a lot.

My father in law used to be a song thaew driver, 10 times a day, forget it, keep on dreaming and take those pink shaded glasses off. There's more empty song thaews than full ones on the road and business for a song thaew is not that good any more, with all the competition from the metered taxis and motocy taxis.

Furthermore, the running order who can pick up customers at terminal stations like Nathon is very strict regulated and 10 times a day is just out of the question for that reason.

...My father in law used to be a song thaew driver, 10 times a day, forget it, keep on dreaming and take those pink shaded glasses off. There's more empty song thaews than full ones on the road and business for a song thaew is not that good any more, with all the competition from the metered taxis and motocy taxis.

Furthermore, the running order who can pick up customers at terminal stations like Nathon is very strict regulated and 10 times a day is just out of the question for that reason.

No "pink shades" and NOT dreaming either, Sir!

Was a sample, or as it turned out, a risky evaluation of trying to explain why they are so aggressive and why ar there so many of them on the roads.

O.K. then if you have first hand knowledge how high was the income?

You did leave that out of the equation!

Well, maybe some restructuring is in the books.

Restrict the Licenses for all of the Transport Systems, the building of Hotel Rooms, of Restaurants, Soup Kitchens...could be a way.

Still the ST's and the Cabbies make much more money then a comparative job.

Is this wrong again, correct me!

Before the mid' 1980ies driving a Cab in Germany was very lucrative!

But then, accept a few Cities which introduced Limits for the Lincence, because of too many Cabs on the roads, in come went down the drain.

Just a thought or two - not meant to offend anybody Ex-whatever in law!

Edited by Samuian

...My father in law used to be a song thaew driver, 10 times a day, forget it, keep on dreaming and take those pink shaded glasses off. There's more empty song thaews than full ones on the road and business for a song thaew is not that good any more, with all the competition from the metered taxis and motocy taxis.

No "pink shades" and NOT dreaming either, Sir!

Was a sample, or as it turned out, a risky evaluation of trying to explain why they are so aggressive and why ar there so many of them on the roads.

O.K. then if you have first hand knowledge how high was the income?

You did leave that out of the equation!

Well, maybe some restructuring is in the books.

Restrict the Licenses for all of the Transport Systems, the building of Hotel Rooms, of Restaurants, Soup Kitchens...could be a way.

Still the ST's and the Cabbies make much more money then a comparative job.

Is this wrong again, correct me!

Before the mid' 1980ies driving a Cab in Germany was very lucrative!

But then, accept a few Cities which introduced Limits for the Lincence, because of too many Cabs on the roads, in come went down the drain.

Just a thought or two - not meant to offend anybody Ex-whatever in law!

Easy Samuian :o What about the cost of rental of ST or Taxi?Running costs, fuel, tyres etc............Sure there are too many,but then the other side of the coin is too few & up goes the rate.