Songkran festival ends with 243 deaths in traffic accidents

snoop1130

axi.jpg

The six-day Songkran festival holiday in Thailand ended in tragedy as road accidents claimed the lives of 243 people and left 1,837 others injured. As announced by Education Minister Permpoon Chidchob on Wednesday, some 1,811 traffic accidents were recorded from April 11 to 16, coinciding with the period when many individuals travel back to their home provinces to join in the Songkran celebrations. Motorcycles were implicated in 84.9% of these traffic accidents.

Chiang Rai, the northernmost province, reported the highest number of accidents, with a total of 71, and also saw the most fatalities, with 15 deaths. In another northern province, Phrae, 68 people sustained injuries, the highest injury toll across all provinces. However, not all news was grim; there were nine provinces out of the total 77 that reported zero traffic fatalities during the Thai New Year festival, according to Permpoon.

On the final day of the road safety campaign, which was yesterday April 16, there were 242 traffic incidents, resulting in 32 deaths and 237 injuries. Speeding was identified as the leading cause of these accidents, accounting for 37.6%, while drink-driving (23.9%) and reckless lane-switching (21%) followed closely. Permpoon informed that most individuals who had travelled for Songkran had returned to work by this point.

In a separate statement, Ruangsak Suwaree, the Director-General of the Probation Department, revealed that there were 5,786 traffic violation cases from April 11 to 16. A vast majority of these, 96.6%, were drink-driving related. The most drink-driving cases were reported in Bangkok (493), with Samut Prakan (313) and Chiang Mai (302) trailing behind, reported Bangkok Post.

Meanwhile, Phuket’s Seven Days safety campaign for Songkran 2024 continues to make its impact as the island remains free of any road fatalities since the start of the initiative on April 11. Over the past four days, 39 incidents have been recorded by officials, resulting in the same number of people being hospitalised due to injuries.

The report compiled by the Phuket branch of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM Phuket) revealed that on, April 15, the campaign’s fifth day, nine accidents occurred across the island, leading to nine injuries.

The breakdown of these incidents indicates two accidents each in Mueang District and Thalang District, with one individual injured in each, and six accidents in Kathu District, injuring six people.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Picture courtesy of Pattaya News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Fairly low numbers considering the usual behaviour on long holidays

Now I have to get to work on the weeks worth of beard grown during the cabin fever spell!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

I call BS on the numbers

My understanding is that Thailand only counts deaths before they reach the hospital in their official road toll. 

That being the case, you can expect a fair % of the 1,837 succumbing to their injuries but not appearing in those stats. The "real" death toll might be up to double the official numbers.

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Fairly low numbers considering the usual behaviour on long holidays

Think of all those coffins lined up in rows and almost all the deaths avoidable as down to stupidity😉

2 hours ago, Trippy said:

It's not finished, we still have 2 more days of madness in Pattaya.

That's Pattaya for you- a madhouse for the mentally retarded😃

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2024 at 4:16 PM, snoop1130 said:

As announced by Education Minister Permpoon Chidchob on Wednesday

Wouldn't the Land and Transport mob have charge of this , why the Education minister?

45 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I was told Songkran day is on Friday 19th. So how come they already announced it's over? The one day when almost all shops are shut I believe.

Yes that.

Screenshot_20240418-163939.jpg

54 minutes ago, proton said:

Think of all those coffins lined up in rows and almost all the deaths avoidable as down to stupidity😉

The Thai populous are Au Fait with the ways things are, they like the freedom, ride what you like, drive what you like, in any condition you like. The government are happy to grant them their wish.

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post contravening our Community Standards has been removed:

• The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. 

I live in a soi 50 metres from Naklua Road just near the new Best Super Market. I noticed this morning at 6am when I go for my normal 2 hours walk that the vendors were getting all set up. I had to walk on the road as all the footpaths were blocked even little kids sleeping on the footpaths and others sleeping in tents. Now it's 5.30 pm here and it's been out of control all day. When will they bring in designated water throwing zones like many places up North have?