Hi,

I'll be travelling quickly from northern Thailand and cross into Malaysia without having a lot of time to visit an immigration office along the way.

Is it possible to get a Re-Entry Permit while crossing the land border into Thailand from Lao? 

Alternatively, is it possible to get one at Don Mueang Airport without departing on an international flight?

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Jaymatheson said:

Is it possible to get a Re-Entry Permit while crossing the land border into Thailand from Lao? 

Don't understand.  You do not obtain a reentry permit when ENTERING Thailand. Ask Thai immigration when you enter

8 minutes ago, Jaymatheson said:

Alternatively, is it possible to get one at Don Mueang Airport without departing on an international flight?

No

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand.  You do not obtain a reentry permit when ENTERING Thailand. Ask Thai immigration when you enter

What I mean is ..... When I cross into Thailand from Lao, would Thai Immigration be able to issue a re-entry permit?  I wouldn't be able to show or complete a TM30 (if needed) as I wouldn't of slept anywhere yet.  After that, the next opportunity would be at Don Mueang Airport .... which sounds like a no.  Following that, I'll be travelling south and likely exiting Thailand on a ferry into Malaysia where I'm not confident they'll have the option to get a re-entry permit.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jaymatheson said:

When I cross into Thailand from Lao, would Thai Immigration be able to issue a re-entry permit?

How would you be entering Thailand visa wise.

Clearly you don't have current reentry permit? 

Do you plan to enter Thailand visa exempt? 

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How would you be entering Thailand visa wise.

Clearly you don't have current reentry permit? 

Do you plan to enter Thailand visa exempt? 

Non-Immigrant O based on Retirement .... single entry

I read that there are some land-crossing borders where you can buy a Re-Entry Permit, but I wouldn't bet on it.  

Most probably you will not be able to travel in 1 day from entering Thailand in the North from Laos to exiting Thailand in the South to Malaysia.

So your best option would probably be that you stay at a Hotel guesthouse somewhere midway on your journey, and ask the Hotel/Gueshouse for a copy of the TM-30 they are required to make of a farang staying at their premises.  And then head with that TM-30 go to the Imm Office in the same Province where your hotel/guesthouse is located, and then buy a Re-Entry Permit there. Obviously the choice of Hotel/Guesthouse should preferably be close to that provincial Imm Office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jaymatheson said:

Hi,

I'll be travelling quickly from northern Thailand and cross into Malaysia without having a lot of time to visit an immigration office along the way.

You have to make sure to leave Thailand with a re-entry permit, to keep your visa valid. In other words, you have to buy the permit BEFORE you leave Thailand. A re-entry permit can be applied from a Thai Immigration office or at the Re-entry permit airport counters in Thailand upon departure.

5 hours ago, Jaymatheson said:

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No

I beg to differ, if the OP is flying from DMK to KL.

All flights from DMK to Malaysia go from terminal 1 (International)

You can obtain a re-entry permit 24/7 after Immigration but before security.

Edited by Liquorice

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:
11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No

I beg to differ, if the OP is flying from DMK to KL.

Where did he mention fly to KL from DMK

He stated....

"Following that, I'll be travelling south and likely exiting Thailand on a ferry into Malaysia where I'm not confident they'll have the option to get a re-entry permit."