Truck brake failure leads to fatal crash in Chiang Mai

webfact

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred yesterday at 2.45pm in the Hod district of Chiang Mai when a six-wheeled truck’s brakes reportedly failed, causing it to crash into a procession of revellers. The incident resulted in the death of two individuals and serious injuries to two others.

The procession was part of a traditional ceremony in which participants were enjoying themselves in a parade, carrying a revered Pho tree up the mountain, a ritual known for its vibrant and lively atmosphere. Unexpectedly, the brake failure led to the truck ploughing through the crowd in Ban Bo Luang village, striking the unsuspecting participants.

The police chief of Bo Luang Police Station, Anuphap Chaisiri, was alerted to the mass casualty event by the local health centre in Ban Bo Luang. The initial assessment of the victims identified two in critical condition, classified as red patients, one with less severe injuries, a yellow patient, and one with minor injuries, a green patient.

All four injured individuals were promptly transported to Hod Hospital for emergency care. Despite the efforts to save them, two of the victims succumbed to their injuries following their arrival at the hospital. The remaining injured are currently receiving medical treatment, and their conditions have yet to be updated.

The Thai authorities are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the accident to determine the exact cause and to establish whether any measures could have been taken to prevent this tragedy, reported KhaoSod.

The truck driver’s responsibility and the mechanical state of the vehicle are central to the ongoing inquiry.

In related news, a 26 year old Thai woman crashed her pickup into a traffic police officer on Highway No. 21 in the central province of Lop Buri on April 16, causing serious injuries to the officer. The accident occurred at Ban Deelang Intersection on Highway No. 21, also known as Saraburi-Lomsak Road, in the Pattana Nikhom district of Lop Buri province.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 5

It could be one of three 'failures' including what @worgeordie said

- failure to apply the brakes, or driving to fast and the poor brakes failing to manage

- failure to have the brakes inspected and maintained like every vehicle should be

- failure to use engine breaking down hills instead of the actual brakes. Engine breaking is using a lower gear DOWNhill so that you don't overheat the actual brakes, which renders them useless in the time of need. EVERY driver should know this, especially drivers of manual gearbox buses in hilly areas! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, actonion said:

A good business in Thailand seems to be a Brake repair shop, trouble is Thai's dont do maintenance

Yes their outlook seems to be, if it isn't broken (yet) don't fix it. 

Preventative maintenance is a foreign idea... Not for Thai. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

the truck would have

had air assisted brakes , failure there would have meant the brakes would

have locked up as a safety measure

If older type air over hydraulic, of which there are probably still quite a few around, the opposite is true.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai woman crashed her pickup into a traffic police officer

Brake failure too ? 

Edited by Tarteso
  • Love It 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai authorities are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the accident to determine the exact cause and to establish whether any measures could have been taken to prevent this tragedy

Truck maintenance ?

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yet another case of brake failure ,or should I say failure to apply the brake,

I hope the authorities  are going to inspect the truck ,the truck would have

have locked up as a safety measure ,  RIP those killed

regards Worgeordie

That's providing the brake linings had not overheated and we're affective. A little knowledge can be dangerous.

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yet another case of brake failure ,or should I say failure to apply the brake,

I hope the authorities  are going to inspect the truck ,the truck would have

have locked up as a safety measure ,  RIP those killed

regards Worgeordie

Yes exactly correct re the air brakes, so almost definitely the drivers fault. Probably drunk, high or playing on his mobile phone! RIP to the victims

No it didn't....   It wasn't 'truck brake failure' that led to the fatal crash....   

It was maintenance failure, driver error, lack of accountability, lack of regular inspection which led to brake failure causing a fatal crash.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:27 AM, actonion said:

A good business in Thailand seems to be a Brake repair shop, trouble is Thai's dont do maintenance

you assume the brakes actually failed, i would bet my house they didn't, and that the accident was due to human error.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

you assume the brakes actually failed, i would bet my house they didn't, and that the accident was due to human error.

I suspect one of the most 'common' issues resulting in brake failure is 'driver error' and over use of the brakes which overheat and fail... 

So the brakes fail... but the failure is induced - Poor driver training, driver error, poor materials, lack of maintenance even.... And all of this a consequence of a lack of accountability of the owners of the trucks who escape responsibility as authorities look no further than the driver.... 

On 4/19/2024 at 1:40 PM, newbee2022 said:

Why there are always "brake failures"??

Do they use second hand brake pads?

Or brake with their shoes?

😳

Their  idea ....." It's not my fault, blame something, somebody else".. problem is, many times the police  believe this B.S

5 minutes ago, actonion said:

Their  idea ....." It's not my fault, blame something, somebody else".. problem is, many times the police  believe this B.S

That is one side of the coin. However the truck's owners give a sh**. They send their drivers with the truck without any inspection. And if the driver tries to interfere he's been fired.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:07 PM, Peterphuket said:

Or how about a good quality driving school.

Yes, good idea,.... but who's the Driving  Instuctor ?,.. a Thai ?.. bad idea  

11 hours ago, actonion said:

Yes, good idea,.... but who's the Driving  Instuctor ?,.. a Thai ?.. bad idea  

I know, in LOS you are in a visual circle, but you have to start somewhere....

It would be the best to give a Thai driving lessons by a foreigner.

12 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I know, in LOS you are in a visual circle, but you have to start somewhere....

It would be the best to give a Thai driving lessons by a foreigner.

Yes as a Retired member of the UK  Institute of Advanced Motorists  I fully agree, and a few years ago  I put your suggestion to my  Thai brother in law, a Captain in Thai Police Force, his reply was  as expected..... Thai people  don't need to learn from Farangs...!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, actonion said:

Yes as a Retired member of the UK  Institute of Advanced Motorists  I fully agree, and a few years ago  I put your suggestion to my  Thai brother in law, a Captain in Thai Police Force, his reply was  as expected..... Thai people  don't need to learn from Farangs...!!

Yes, the only expected answer.

• Agree 1