New York officially recognises Songkran as an important cultural event

webfact

image.jpeg

The legislative assembly of New York State has adopted a resolution designating Songkran as an important cultural event for the Asian-American community in the state.

The resolution, proposed by Steven Raga, a legislator in New York State, was adopted during a meeting of the assembly in Albany, the capital of New York State, on April 1st.

In the resolution, it is mentioned that Songkran is not only celebrated in Thailand, but also in Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, as well as among minorities in Vietnam, China’s Yunnan province and in Sri Lanka.

Full story: THAI PBS 2024-04-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

New York officially recognises Songkran as an important cultural event

The legislative assembly of New York State 

In the resolution, it is mentioned that Songkran is not only celebrated in Thailand, but also in Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, as well as among minorities in Vietnam, China’s Yunnan province and in Sri Lanka.

Wow! I'm sure this made the front page of The New York Post.

• Haha 1

Great news, I hope the whole country does the same. If I ever go back to work in the US, I'll tell them I need Songkran off for cultural reasons. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Songkran as an important cultural event

The photo is embarrassing, cannabis sign in the background and those foreigners with water pistols/cannons, they've got no idea about the culture. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The legislative assembly of New York State has adopted a resolution designating Songkran as an important cultural event for the Asian-American community in the state.

:coffee1:

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The photo is embarrassing, cannabis sign in the background and those foreigners with water pistols/cannons, they've got no idea about the culture. 

This is the reality of Songkran, not the traditional culture BS they pedal to Unesco.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Keep it to one day in small designated roped off areas and all will be sabai sabai.

I suspect it is to become something far more expansive and enduring!

17 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Songkran in a nutshell.

• Haha 1