A one-shot vaccine for COVID, flu and future viruses? Researchers say it's coming

Screenshot_1.jpg.6181a61b2c3b74c00d37b36ada202f55.jpg

At the beginning of the pandemic, many people hoped that infections with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 — or vaccines against the virus — would provide durable lifetime immunity, as is the case with diseases like measles or mumps. Instead, the COVID virus is more akin to the influenza virus, which mutates constantly and confers only short-term immunity. Both COVID and the flu require new and different vaccine formulas aimed at defeating newly circulating variants of the viruses. The inevitable result of this has been, for most of us, increasing vaccine fatigue.  

But what if it were possible to protect against COVID and the flu, and other unknown viruses that haven't yet emerged, with just one shot? If that became reality, seasonal or annual boosters would be part of the past. And what if such vaccinations didn't even require a needle?

While those possibilities may sound far in the future, scientists at the University of California, Riverside, believe they could become reality relatively soon — perhaps within the next five to 10 years. As illustrated in a paper just published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a new, RNA-based vaccine strategy could be effective against any viral strain to emerge in the future. This next generation of vaccines would theoretically offer protection against viruses we aren’t even aware of yet, and could be used safely on infants and people with compromised immune systems, who today must often opt out of vaccination to protect their health.

(more)

https://www.salon.com/2024/04/18/a-one-shot-vaccine-for-covid-flu-and-future-viruses-researchers-say-its-coming/

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2024/04/15/vaccine-breakthrough-means-no-more-chasing-strains

Looking forward to it, though if it's actually 10 years away I may be marginal (85 by then) to receive it. Or indeed need it ...

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

In the same way there are many bacteria that are beneficial to systemic health but can be wiped by antibiotics the non selective pre-emptive elimination of viral infections may also leave people weaker.

Antivirals that totally circumvent the natural processes of the immune system may be wonderful bio science but will it actually be an advantage?

I am still wondering how a single vaccine could ever provide umbrella protection  against any ever mutating virus let alone a grouping of.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Judging from the comments, the enthusiasm for this new 'scientific breakthrough' is not exactly overwhelming.  And with good reason considering the loss of trust by the public in those organizations pushing the real-time jab on the world.  Fool me once...

Those who are still alive after having the jab, may or probably don't agree with you, eh Blue..........😉

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

medicine that nobody else seems to want boosters for and the producers needed indemnity for doesn’t make you “anti vaccine” 

Yes it does. Read the part you typed yourself: "nobody else seems to want boosters" Who is that "nobody else?" Propaganda much?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, watthong said:

Yes it does. Read the part you typed yourself: "nobody else seems to want boosters" Who is that "nobody else?" Propaganda much?

The nobody else is the people not taking the booster. Go look up the booster uptake, it’s not like I’m making this up. And no. No it doesn’t.

Edited by stats
flame comment removed

23 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I'm still a pure blood. Although living in a foreign country, Thailand, traveling around and to Europe, they still didn't get me. And they won't get me with this one either. :wai:

But who cares? Really, who cares. Or if you want people to know, why don't you wear a button  or something to that effect  So they know when to apply social-distancing. That will be a great service to mankind.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

The nobody else is the people not taking the booster. Go look up the booster uptake, it’s not like I’m making this up. And no. No it doesn’t.

"Go look up the booster uptake" =>> Deflect.

"And no. No it doesn’t" =>> Deny

39 minutes ago, watthong said:

But who cares? Really, who cares. Or if you want people to know, why don't you wear a button  or something to that effect  So they know when to apply social-distancing. That will be a great service to mankind.

Somebody's feeling mad that he felt for their trick and got the jab? 🧐 😄

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

Wow, so many anti-vax posters.  Did you never have vacs as a kid to protect you from Polio, Tetanus, Whooping Cough etc?

Seeing as I have just had 6 vaccines for tetanus and Rabies I think I can hardly be called an anti vax poster.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:44 PM, NickyLouie said:

mRNA vaccine technology is in its infancy and will further be used for HIV and other viruses it can replicate and allow your body to create antibodies for.

True, however this is not mRNA vaccine technology.

It is RNAi technology - a totally different proposition.

On 4/21/2024 at 9:42 AM, 0ffshore360 said:

In the same way there are many bacteria that are beneficial to systemic health but can be wiped by antibiotics the non selective pre-emptive elimination of viral infections may also leave people weaker.

Antivirals that totally circumvent the natural processes of the immune system may be wonderful bio science but will it actually be an advantage?

I am still wondering how a single vaccine could ever provide umbrella protection  against any ever mutating virus let alone a grouping of.

Did you read the attached article? This would not pre-emptively eliminate viruses. It would however (if it pans out) make a person's immune system more able to fight off a virus.

Neither is what is being talked about here, an antiviral medicine.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Did you read the attached article? This would not pre-emptively eliminate viruses. It would however (if it pans out) make a person's immune system more able to fight off a virus.

Neither is what is being talked about here, an antiviral medicine.

Medicine?

I read a proposal to create a man made laboratory intervention that supposedly will be superior to a normal immune response that has developed alongside viral mutative presence. Same viral presence that is acknowledged to have had a major impact on evolutionary processes.

How clever have we already been on preserving non viable specimens of many species including our own and in cases encouraging proliferation?

Even the Greek example of genuine understanding of the natural selection process included  "offering" newborns that demonstrated obvious deformities to the Gods at the bottom of cliffs by the sea as special .

As doctors now do not try "too hard" to ensure the survival of  marginal medical victims the ancient Greek authorities understood the implications to society of lifelong dependency.

In these oh so modern times the opportunity to  have mandated medical products is a corporate investor's dream.

Especially when given everlasting indemnity .

You  don't happen to own a "fainting goat" for entertainent do you?

On 4/21/2024 at 8:07 AM, simon43 said:

Wow, so many anti-vax posters.  Did you never have vacs as a kid to protect you from Polio, Tetanus, Whooping Cough etc?

Did you ever research how those vaccines invoked immune protection?

34 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Did you ever research how those vaccines invoked immune protection?

Yes, I am a scientist and have a fairly good understanding of Immunology, the Immune system and Genome modifications - I teach these subjects to students on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Yes, I am a scientist and have a fairly good understanding of Immunology, the Immune system and Genome modifications - I teach these subjects to students on a regular basis.

Really? So you have no problem explaining why you would equate vaccines effective against bacterial infections with equivalence to antivirals ?

I ask this of you with zero reference to my educational background , expertise or such other.