Quitting living in Thailand but want to return now and then for holidays

I'm currently on the so called Thai wife visa (non-imm o with yearly extension).

I'm looking to work in another country, or return to UK for a few years.

Will I be able to return to Thailand as and when to stay with my wife for a couple of weeks, enjoy a holiday, etc?  Will I need to give it a year or so?

• Confused 4

Indeed, no problem at all.

But it is highly recommended not to close your Thai bank-account, as having a bank-account when visiting Thailand is not only handy but you might need it when dealing with Thai Immigration when you decide to return to Thailand long-term.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Agree 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:53 PM, mommysboy said:

I'm currently on the so called Thai wife visa (non-imm o with yearly extension).

I'm looking to work in another country, or return to UK for a few years.

Will I be able to return to Thailand as and when to stay with my wife for a couple of weeks, enjoy a holiday, etc?  Will I need to give it a year or so?

I can't imagine how someone can be married and be willing to live in another country away from their wife.  

Of course you can come back, just keep your Non O visa by paying for a reentry permit and come back to make sure you do the annual extensions.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I can't imagine how someone can be married and be willing to live in another country away from their wife.  

You don't know the wife or financial circumstances. Could be many valid reasons.

OP @mommysboy has nothing to worry about. Just keep doing extensions and get a re-entry permit. Or, just do a marriage visa application each time needing to return to Thailand. Neither is difficult.

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Of course you can come back, just keep your Non O visa by paying for a reentry permit and come back to make sure you do the annual extensions.

I don't want to be away from my wife or daughter of course, but finances have been slipping for a few years, and it's another four before my pension starts.  In the meantime I think I have a chance of earning some much needed real money- fat chance of doing that in this country. 

I posted because there was a story a while back of someone trying to return on a tourist visa, and spending a week in Thai immigration detention centre before everything got sorted.

• Thumbs Up 2

All about money, as I stated.  It really isn't cheap here when you have a family- medical especially. Ideally, we'd also like to settle somewhere else like the UK if possible but can't sell up at the moment without taking a hefty loss.  It's different if you are single, already draw a pension, etc.  Life isn't a picnic for most families at the moment.