Internet snail speed to Europe

CHdiver

I moved into a Condo in Jomtien (VT5). Internet I guess its TOT. Yesterday afternoon I could easely stream TV from Switzerland. In the evening it got nearly impossible tu even open a website. Asean now too slowed down to a crawl. Pictures came uo line by line like in the good old dial up time. Since then it stayed that way. Speed to Bangkok is fine, but to Switzerland its a joke. Restarting the modem did not help btw. Similiar happend in 2006 when some underwater cable broke.

Is it TIT, TOT, Comrade Putin or the Mullahs cutting the cable?

Screenshot 2024-04-23 024051.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 024353.png

• Confused 1

I have had issues with AIS fibre to the UK since Sunday with slow connection and connction dropping. Not tried it today.

The cable in red sea was cut in February. Not repaired yet. 

That traffic was then redirected to the Singapore cable. 

Which was cut Saturday morning. 

So apparently sabotage....

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On the 20th April 2024 in the night a major undersea telecom cable has been damaged between Malaysia and Singapore. This has disrupted network traffic in many Asian countries and telecoms with western Europe.

One of the other newer cables was damaged in the Gulf region in early March 2024 it is assumed by the sinking of that Rubymar ship.

So basically Thailand (and many other Asian countries) has lost 2 major communication cables with a loss of many Tbs with Western Europe, I guess communication traffic has been rerouted through other older undersea telecom cables systems.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

The cable in red sea was cut in February. Not repaired yet. 

That traffic was then redirected to the Singapore cable. 

Which was cut Saturday morning. 

So apparently sabotage....

Not necessarily, most cable incidents are due to fishing and anchoring.

"The International Cable Protection Committee, an NGO based in the U.K., said that an average of 150 incidents occur each year that damage undersea cables—and most of these are caused by activities such as commercial fishing and anchoring."

For the cable that was broken on the 20th April (SEA-ME-WE 5 24Tbps)

“There was a report of a temporary outage followed by the current long term outage is that the cable experienced a shunt fault where water penetrated the polyethylene insulation. The repeaters were able short term to compensate but the electrical short grew over time and the connection to the very important Tuas CLS in Singapore was completely lost”

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Strange that OP can not find info on internet, it's clear as day:  https://fortune.com/2024/03/04/internet-cables-cut-red-sea/

I wanted the newest Information, not some outdated Info from  month ago. The problem could also have been local. Would not be the first time in Thailand. Thanks to many helpful members we got the newest Info, witch I am very thankful for.

A common problem that sometimes arise. Could be lots of things underway to Europe or US; higher than usual traffic, router down, or broken connection somewhere, so remaining open gates are overloaded. ASEAN NOW seems to have its server in Singapore.

12 hours ago, CHdiver said:

I moved into a Condo in Jomtien (VT5). Internet I guess its TOT. Yesterday afternoon I could easely stream TV from Switzerland. In the evening it got nearly impossible tu even open a website. Asean now too slowed down to a crawl. Pictures came uo line by line like in the good old dial up time. Since then it stayed that way. Speed to Bangkok is fine, but to Switzerland its a joke. Restarting the modem did not help btw. Similiar happend in 2006 when some underwater cable broke.

Is it TIT, TOT, Comrade Putin or the Mullahs cutting the cable?

Screenshot 2024-04-23 024051.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 024353.png

It's that area and your condo building.  Nothing to do about the country

On 3BB (1000/1000) down in Na Jomtien on a nailed up router based VPN to Coventry in the UK, currently getting:-

image.png.0dac0fa31a9c81be045d8649fecab25f.png

Yikes!   Just switched over to Telehouse in Docklands, and getting:-

image.png.a58ba9ee6bbc397ac79064c09b01e738.png

Performance definitely effected. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

It's TIT. the slowest speeds are always for Thai sites, i.e. ASEAN and a certain English language Thai newspaper.

totally disagree with your generalised TIT thai bash comment, i have absolutely no issues with my home or mobile internet in thailand, whatever site i'm visiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

It's TIT. the slowest speeds are always for Thai sites, i.e. ASEAN and a certain English language Thai newspaper.

Look at the post above yours!

Nothing to do with the services of Thai companies but the internet between Thailand and Europe!

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, CHdiver said:

Thank you. A search did not bring up anything. Next step: pester my Landlord.

waste of time, the underwater cable is broken and it will take quite some time to be fixed, TOT. TRUE, 3BB all have same issue, I use a VPN and can watch IPTV

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

But the VPN will not be connected to Europe I assume!

it all depends on the time of the day, I use Japan, very fast, but some adds pop up sometimes, Australia Sidney one it's ok, Portugal good, Iceland not bad, sometimes Turkey, avoid any from Singapore

• Confused 1

My Landlord was talking to TOT and what a surprise this morning. Much improved speed. I just hope it lasts. Maybe you lot are still comatose in bed from last nights shenanigans 😇 and I am the only one using Internet, who knows 😁 We will see.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 083710.png