Lao - Buying SIM While Passport at Consulate

Whenever I buy a SIM in Lao, they insist on seeing my passport to set it up.  Which isn't surprising.

Anyone have experience getting a SIM with just a photocopy or image of passport or do they need the real thing?

Thanks

Is it even worth it to buy a Lao SIM card for a short trip? I've always bought a 7-day data roaming package for my Thai SIM card instead.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a definite answer to your question, but knowing how bureaucratic Laos can be, my best guess is that they might well insist on seeing the original. And knowing how inconsistent Laos can be (same as Thailand), it might well be different from one place to the next.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Is it even worth it to buy a Lao SIM card for a short trip? I've always bought a 7-day data roaming package for my Thai SIM card instead.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a definite answer to your question, but knowing how bureaucratic Laos can be, my best guess is that they might well insist on seeing the original. And knowing how inconsistent Laos can be (same as Thailand), it might well be different from one place to the next.

Yah, i'm a little different.  Often stay for a few weeks so i've gotten used to buying local sims.  Think you're likely correct though. 

Your Thai sim operator most probably has a special deal you can buy on your thai sim card.

Have you turned your mobile on with the thai sim in?

Didn't you get any SMS from your thai operator?

I remember I did it with DTAC few years ago, it was a good offer and no need to buy a Lao card.

Edited by pub2022
typo

When arriving in a new country, I find its much easier to just buy an esim online instead of purchasing a physical sim locally.  I'm sure it costs a bit more, but it's so much easier.  You will find lots of different options if you google Laos esim.

Currently in Luang Prabang. I needed data to get some train tickets sent over. Paid 399B to AIS before I left Thailand, all pretty painless. Off topic but was pleasantly surprised with the exchange rate. Got over 650 Kip to the Baht in more than one place. Prices have increased a fair bit though.