Kanchanaburi Motorway to Offer Toll-Free Weekends

3be83bbb78439b2ad1c051d9c2fb29d3.jpg

KANCHANABURI (NNT) - The Department of Highways has announced that starting April 26, a key 51-kilometer stretch of Motorway No. 81, connecting Nakhon Pathom to Kanchanaburi, will be open for toll-free travel on weekends. The service, which runs from 3 p.m. on Fridays to 9 p.m. on Sundays, is expected to enhance accessibility to Thailand's western region and shorten travel times for commuters.

This toll-free access, which was previously granted during national holidays such as the New Year and Songkran Festival, reduces the time drivers need to spend on an hour-long journey between the two destinations via Highways 323 and 4. 

Motorists wanting to take advantage of the toll-free service must use the Nakhon Pathom West and Kanchanaburi checkpoints. Drivers are strictly required to follow traffic laws, refrain from stopping or parking on the freeway, and avoid taking photographs while operating their vehicles.

Currently, access to the motorway is limited to private four-wheel vehicles. Drivers should make sure their vehicles are adequately fueled or fully charged before embarking on their journey. In case of emergencies or for further assistance, motorists can contact the Department of Highways at hotline 1586 or the Highway Police at 1193.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 2024-04-23

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Will the speed limit still be 80kph or will it be upped to 120? I used it over the new year (December) and driving 80 was painful on a pretty much empty straight road. 

Did anyone use it during Songkran who can inform if they now have speed cameras on it? 

I drove from Kan to NP on April 13th. I left at about 7:30 am - and the road was all mine.

I saw no speed cameras on the overpasses - (and if there were any I will no doubt receive my letters soon!)

I did not see marked speed limit signs, so just used my common sense, and seldom exceeded 140..... 

The road is okay - but I was surprised that they are doing all this work for a highway with only 2 lanes (each way).

There is no additional infrastructure yet - they have not started building any services or rest areas. They have commenced work on the toll 'plaza' on the Kanchanaburi end - but there is still a lot of work to be done.