Jump to content

Grafting mango trees


Recommended Posts

A bit of background info first: I grew a mango, variety "nam dok mai" (มะม่วงน้ำดอกไม้), from seed some 7-8 years ago. Then, approximately 6 years ago I planted it out on our land and it has been growing pretty well since then and has grown to a height of about 2.5-3m. Here is my problem: About 8 years later and still no fruit and no blossoms. I know that it takes longer for trees to bear fruit when grown from seed (that's why I now only plant trees which have been grafted), but from what I can gather, mango trees do not need this long to bear fruit.

I was wondering (1) when is a good time to graft scions from the same variety onto the mother tree.

 

I have asked Mrs Djayz to help me locate scions, but she's annoyed with me because I "grew tree from seed" and didn't listen to her advice.... 🙄

Edited by djayz
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

How do you force a mango tree to fruit?

A Philippine horticulturist discovered that an application of potassium nitrate induces the mango to flower. Chemical forcing early in the flowering season doubles or triples the rate of fruit production per mango tree and produces larger fruit. It can also allow some trees to fruit twice during a single year.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

 

 

Thank you Neal. That's quite interesting. Definitely something I'm going to try in early May. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long is a piece of string? , when a tree bear fruit depends how well it is growing, and how well it is fed and watered? we had a Kaffer lime tree that did bear any fruit for 8-9 years after we planted it ,and we have a Pomelo tree been with us for the same time, still no fruit.

Also, Mangos like the cool season, it helps set the flowers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we started develop our land 7 years ago we got 4 mango plants from neighbours. Didn't understand yet then that they need to be grafted. They were from seeds. Growing very well, nice big trees but no fruits. I have now cut them back and grafted them all from bought trees. Will hopefully get fruit on them next season.

 

A couple of the grafted trees we bought don't fruit either. A neighbour explained that some cultivars of mango don't like it here. I'm near the coast with no real cold winter and that might be the reason. This winter been way too warm and only a few mangos produce fruit.

 

Potassium is needed to set fruit. I tried spraying one year without any result. I have bee feeding them lots of mulch from legumes so maybe too much nitrogen compared to potassium in the soil.

 

Grafting is best done during summer when trees grow fast. But not that easy, takes some trail and error to get it to work. Important to find the right scion. Best if you can find some older shoots with buds ready to grow. Wrap the whole scion with tape to avoid it to dry out. I found this tape to work for me:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pvc-fruit-tree-grafting-tape-secateurs-engraft-branch-gardening-tool-2cm100m-i2669291664-s21729316545.html?

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pogust said:

When we started develop our land 7 years ago we got 4 mango plants from neighbours. Didn't understand yet then that they need to be grafted. They were from seeds. Growing very well, nice big trees but no fruits. I have now cut them back and grafted them all from bought trees. Will hopefully get fruit on them next season.

 

A couple of the grafted trees we bought don't fruit either. A neighbour explained that some cultivars of mango don't like it here. I'm near the coast with no real cold winter and that might be the reason. This winter been way too warm and only a few mangos produce fruit.

 

Potassium is needed to set fruit. I tried spraying one year without any result. I have bee feeding them lots of mulch from legumes so maybe too much nitrogen compared to potassium in the soil.

 

Grafting is best done during summer when trees grow fast. But not that easy, takes some trail and error to get it to work. Important to find the right scion. Best if you can find some older shoots with buds ready to grow. Wrap the whole scion with tape to avoid it to dry out. I found this tape to work for me:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pvc-fruit-tree-grafting-tape-secateurs-engraft-branch-gardening-tool-2cm100m-i2669291664-s21729316545.html?

 

Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2024 at 6:12 PM, djayz said:

Thank you Neal. That's quite interesting. Definitely something I'm going to try in early May. 

May is the wrong time to spray as mango season has just finished. I spray mine either as soon as the first flower appears or early December if no flowers by then. If you want scions take them off the grafted trees you have planted or talk to a neighbour to take some from their trees.

This is what I spray with. Two applications 14 days apart.

 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.nzjFR

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have mango trees that are flowering right now.  One for the second time.

 

Growing fruit from seed you are not likely to get the same exact fruit as the parent.  There are a few mango varieties that grow true from seed from what I have read.  They are called polyembryonic varieties.  

 

It is also possible that a mango grown from seed will be sterile and never fruit.

Edited by rwill
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife use egg shells as fertilizer for our mango tree. It has been 3 years continous fruiting. I understand egg shell contains potassium and other natural nutrients. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rwill said:

I have mango trees that are flowering right now.  One for the second time.

 

Growing fruit from seed you are not likely to get the same exact fruit as the parent.  There are a few mango varieties that grow true from seed from what I have read.  They are called polyembryonic varieties.  

 

It is also possible that a mango grown from seed will be sterile and never fruit.

I would say that Mangos grown from seed should all bear fruit, they are not like an F1 hybrid corn/maize verities that will not have any cobs if grown from kept back seed.

They are maybe? somewhere, some hybrid verities that will not bear fruit, but not here in Thailand as most verities are old ones going back a lot of years.

I am trying without a lot of luck, to grow some Gar-lork mangos, they with bear fruit from seed for certain, an old verities, now not easy to find, if I can find a tree, I will try to do some grafting, will have to wait for the rains for certain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2024 at 7:13 PM, Pogust said:

When we started develop our land 7 years ago we got 4 mango plants from neighbours. Didn't understand yet then that they need to be grafted. They were from seeds. Growing very well, nice big trees but no fruits. I have now cut them back and grafted them all from bought trees. Will hopefully get fruit on them next season.

 

A couple of the grafted trees we bought don't fruit either. A neighbour explained that some cultivars of mango don't like it here. I'm near the coast with no real cold winter and that might be the reason. This winter been way too warm and only a few mangos produce fruit.

 

Potassium is needed to set fruit. I tried spraying one year without any result. I have bee feeding them lots of mulch from legumes so maybe too much nitrogen compared to potassium in the soil.

 

Grafting is best done during summer when trees grow fast. But not that easy, takes some trail and error to get it to work. Important to find the right scion. Best if you can find some older shoots with buds ready to grow. Wrap the whole scion with tape to avoid it to dry out. I found this tape to work for me:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pvc-fruit-tree-grafting-tape-secateurs-engraft-branch-gardening-tool-2cm100m-i2669291664-s21729316545.html?

 

Great video with the Lazada tape advice!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...