Insurgents in Yala kill a defense volunteer and injure five others

AP100929026191.jpg

A defense volunteer in the Bannang Sata district of Thailand's Yala province was killed today, and five others were injured in an incident involving gunfire and an explosion. The volunteer killed was Mada-oh Waeyeegao who was returning home from a prayer meeting when he was shot by someone on the back of a bike. The tragedy occurred in Bacho sub-district, and Waeyeegao died on the spot.

Shortly afterwards, an explosion hit a pickup truck carrying five volunteers who were coming to aid Waeyeegao. The blast was set off by rebels hidden in nearby bushes. The explosion injured the five volunteers and damaged their vehicle. Additional help later came to transport the injured people to a local hospital.

The area was closed off subsequent to the discovery of another suspicious gadget attached to a utility pole.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-26

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I haven't been keeping track, has this kind of stuff been going on in recent it times? 

Things went quiet 10+ years ago, or maybe I just haven't heard.

Strange that it would pick up now that you-know-who is back.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

I haven't been keeping track, has this kind of stuff been going on in recent it times? 

Things went quiet 10+ years ago, or maybe I just haven't heard.

Strange that it would pick up now that you-know-who is back.

Though it's become much quieter, with fewer incidents, the conflict has never quite stopped since 2004.

I live in Narathiwat btw, so I experience the insurgency firsthand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Though it's become much quieter, with fewer incidents, the conflict has never quite stopped since 2004.

I recall crossing the border coming up from Kota Baru back when, and upon seeing a road sign for Narathiwat I experienced the hair on the back of the neck reaction.

One day I was headed for Penang, and I later found out that about a half hour after my bus left Hat Yai that they blew up the downtown McD's. 

Yikes!

POLO had a website, I think it is no more.  I appreciated something it said about how they are not targeting foreigners, but keep out of our way or you may get hurt.

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

I recall crossing the border coming up from Kota Baru back when, and upon seeing a road sign for Narathiwat I experienced the hair on the back of the neck reaction.

One day I was headed for Penang, and I later found out that about a half hour after my bus left Hat Yai that they blew up the downtown McD's. 

Yikes!

POLO had a website, I think it is no more.  I appreciated something it said about how they are not targeting foreigners, but keep out of our way or you may get hurt.

I never worry. Foreigners haven't been deliberately targeted in 20 years of conflict. Besides, if it's my time, then it's my time. Only God knows when that is.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im amazed they have never targeted other areas of Thailand, especially the tourist areas, 

Why would they? It's a local conflict.

• Agree 2

On 4/28/2024 at 7:03 AM, MarcelV said:

Why would they? It's a local conflict.

And they ain't stupid, if they targeted up north or in tourist spots they'd regret it, thailand wouldn't be easy on them if they did

On 4/27/2024 at 3:32 PM, MarcelV said:

These past 2-3 weeks there's been attacks everyother day. With cops and soldiers either injured or killed. 

3 hours ago, ta158 said:

These past 2-3 weeks there's been attacks everyother day. With cops and soldiers either injured or killed. 

Yes, the insurgency has its temporary flare-ups.

Hopefully, one day a comprehensive peace agreement or long-standing cease-fire between all parties involved will be achieved. But I'm not hopeful.