USA phone data - What's the cheapest way when visiting.

Living in Thailand I use a Ting sim in my USA phone which I use mainly for banking and can receive US calls at will. I was able to keep my US number I've had for decades. My bill here in Thailand is around $16.00 /mo.

Problem is when in the US for a month and I use GPS daily for road trips. My bill for 1 month was $200. I used something like 15 gb of data. What do you do????????

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Problem is when in the US for a month and I use GPS daily for road trips. My bill for 1 month was $200. I used something like 15 gb of data. What do you do????????

I have always gone to T-Mobile but they have changed to an online company called Ultra.  I have this package waiting at my daughters house in SF, the best I could find. $39.99 for 15GB and a month. 

https://www.ultramobile.com/product/15gb-prepaid-plan/?attribute_months=1-month-plan

I keep my Verizon number on a prepaid sim, it’s $15usd per month w/15gb. It’s in an iPhone dual sim, make and receive calls and text via WiFi and Ais data here. Don’t ever really use much data, so it’s suffice.

20 minutes ago, marin said:

I have always gone to T-Mobile but they have changed to an online company called Ultra.  I have this package waiting at my daughters house in SF, the best I could find. $39.99 for 15GB and a month. 

https://www.ultramobile.com/product/15gb-prepaid-plan/?attribute_months=1-month-plan

Very nice, thank you.

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Avoid the USA at all costs .... :coffee1:

I understand your sentiment. But, refuse to cut ties.

11 minutes ago, novacova said:

I keep my Verizon number on a prepaid sim, it’s $15usd per month w/15gb. It’s in an iPhone dual sim, make and receive calls and text via WiFi and Ais data here. Don’t ever really use much data, so it’s suffice.

OK, Ok. I racked up like 6000 miles in our month. GPS and hot spot for kid really sucked my data.

Just now, marin said:

Dont have kids there do you? 

NO ... and agree, that would be hard to leave if having.   Although, if not living close and actually spending time with, then a yearly holiday would suffice, depending if their lifestyle even warranted a visit.

When living in USA, after 25 yrs old, I didn't spend much time in hometown area, or around family & friends as most do.   As followed the money with work.   Although much of that was with airlines, so popping back for a visit, was easy, if wanting.  Parents and brothers never left PA & NJ, though not really a close family anyway.  

Actually saw them more when I didn't live in the area :coffee1:

Point taken though, as I try to see daughter here, at least once a month, but her work schedule limits that even.   Why we live at PKK and not further south, maybe.   Only a few hours from Krung Thep where she is.

I have Truemove prepaid here and just add one of their roaming packages... If I were to stay a month... I'd just pop into the nearest Walmart and buy a cheap prepaid sim like Mint Mobile... If you have a phone that does eSim capabilities you have a host os options...

KLA, I think you can see by the nick where I grew up. Have not been back in 5 years due to covid and work schedules. Have twins one in LA and one in SF. The LA daughter is working for Space X and we are looking forward to touring the Hawthorn facility. The SF daughter has a media consultancy. Have not seen either since they started this. Also I have a 50 year college reunion up in Crescent City. Looking forward to driving the whole of California and southern Oregon on the coast. 

Here the wife and I are like you often taken 3 day to 10 day domestic road trips around Thailand.

17 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

I have Truemove prepaid here and just add one of their roaming packages... If I were to stay a month... I'd just pop into the nearest Walmart and buy a cheap prepaid sim like Mint Mobile... If you have a phone that does eSim capabilities you have a host os options...

I tried Walmart. Maybe I didn't make myself understood, anyway no bueno on that. Just tried online for walmart and there's a variety of options.