Extension by marriage - KorRor 3

With reference to the list above of documents required, I'm interested in the option of "extension by marriage" to stay here long term. I'm just putting this question out here but I think I know already the answer.

Background - married in Thailand, our marriage certificate (KorRor 3) in early 90's has my wife's Auntie/Uncle surname. She is an Australian citizen with my surname on Australian passport and the marriage was also registered at the Australian Embassy so it would be at the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Her Auntie/Uncle passed away and her current ID has the surname of her natural mother (DNA test) and there is no documentation to show this name change from her original ID.

Is there anything we could do to show we are the two on our original Thai marriage certificate?

36 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

With reference to the list above of documents required, I'm interested in the option of "extension by marriage" to stay here long term. I'm just putting this question out here but I think I know already the answer.

The list in that topic from the wall in CM IO is for the initial Non O if you entered TV or VE.

It is not for the 1-year permit of stay if you already obtained the Non O previously.

14 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The list in that topic from the wall in CM IO is for the initial Non O if you entered TV or VE.

It is not for the 1-year permit of stay if you already obtained the Non O previously.

Visa Extension – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau

Open point number 18 for marriage extension requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

No idea why you replied to my post.

I was informing, not asking.

The link you posted is for the criteria, (financial requirements) not the document checklist.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

No idea why you replied to my post.

I was informing, not asking.

The link you posted is for the criteria, (financial requirements) not the document checklist.

Perhaps if you weren't so obsessed with being offended by my quote you may have read past the criteria and on to the documents to be submitted list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps if you weren't so obsessed with being offended by my quote you may have read past the criteria and on to the documents to be submitted list.

No, I read the document checklist, which omits half the required documents and only list documents for ID and financials.
Obviously you don't apply based on Thai spouse.

If you'd taken the time or made an effort to open the link posted by @BaanOz, you'd see I made a similar comment in that topic, then went on to post a comprehensive list of the required documents.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

No, I read the document checklist, which omits half the required documents and only list documents for ID and financials.
Obviously you don't apply based on Thai spouse.

If you'd taken the time or made an effort to open the link posted by @BaanOz, you'd see I made a similar comment in that topic, then went on to post a comprehensive list of the required documents.

I extended for 12 months, based on marriage, three days ago. For documentation I used the Bureau of Immigration extensions list that I linked. I received my Under Consideration stamp without drama.

My mistake was to, unknowingly, quote one of the surliest characters on the forum. I didn't look/remember that you were someone best avoided in mature discussion here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

She just needs to let the local Amphoe know she wants to take your surname.

They'll issue an official 'certificate of name change' as well as issuing a new ID card and changing her name in any Tabien Baan she's on.

Thanks, have been to the Amphoe and they want to see our marriage certificate to change her surname to mine and her surname on it doesn’t match her ID surname.

I suspect even if she changed it to my name on her ID the previous name will be in history and still not match our marriage certificate when I go for the visa based on marriage.

Edited by BaanOz

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Sorry, just a list I found with the marriage certificate, I’m sure however the process to get a visa based on marriage will require it.

24 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

comprehensive list of the required documents

I’m only interested in the marriage certificate as this is the only hurdle to jump for us.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I extended for 12 months, based on marriage, three days ago. For documentation I used the Bureau of Immigration extensions list that I linked. I received my Under Consideration stamp without drama.

No completed TM 7's.
No passport photos.
Just a copy of the passport, not all the pages.

No updated Kor Ror 2.
No photos in and around the house.
No map.

2 sets of copies.

You have a very lenient Immigration office then.

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

My mistake was to, unknowingly, quote one of the surliest characters on the forum. I didn't look/remember that you were someone best avoided in mature discussion here.

🤩

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

No completed TM 7's.
No passport photos.
Just a copy of the passport, not all the pages.

No updated Kor Ror 2.
No photos in and around the house.
No map.

2 sets of copies.

You have a very lenient Immigration office then.

🤩

Sigh!

Again, if you had read further by clicking on the category "wife" you may have received some edification.

• Thumbs Up 1

@ liquorice.  I've more than met my quota of discussion with arrogant fools this month. I promise to avoid any further interaction with you in the same way I reject the inedible confection you represent. I suggest you do the same with any old crocs you come across.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Thanks, have been to the Amphoe and they want to see our marriage certificate to change her surname to mine and the surname on it doesn’t match her ID surname.

What ID did she use when you married?

It sounds as though whatever ID card she used to get married (uncle/aunty surname or Mother's surname) she then changed her name to the other after marriage, otherwise the ID on her card and on the marriage certificate would match.

She would have been issued a 'certificate of name change' at that point, and probably not realising its importance not kept it safe.

Any Amphoe should be able to trace that change in name, but they cannot issue another 'certificate' but can issue a notice confirming the registration of the name change.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

@ liquorice.  I've more than met my quota of discussion with arrogant fools this month. I promise to avoid any further interaction with you in the same way I reject the inedible confection you represent. I suggest you do the same with any old crocs you come across.

Not trying to be arrogant at all, just precise.
Sorry, that 'wife' link doesn't open for me, so I couldn't view it.

I didn't take offence, neither should you, the importance surely is to give the correct information.

The OP's issue as it's now established is with the surname on his wife's ID card.
Accept my apologies if in any way I offended you.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

She just needs to let the local Amphoe know she wants to take your surname.

They'll issue an official 'certificate of name change' as well as issuing a new ID card and changing her name in any Tabien Baan she's on.

Although my wife is Thai and we married here, she changed her name to mine, I believe this is what the name change cert looks like. Green edging as opposed to red.

changenamemarry.jpg.023ae35e41696eaf71eda66546aaf2d5.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

She would have been issued a 'certificate of name change' at that point, and probably not realising its importance not kept it safe.

No, never.

As mentioned in the OP there is no link between her ID when married early 90’s and the ID with her mother’s surname and yes she did this after Auntie/Uncle passed away and after we married.

Didn’t want to get into exactly why there is no link (with no name change certificate) as it’s a saga 🙂

As-is because we can’t provide any evidence to link the 2 surnames I’m assuming we can’t go down the visa “based on marriage” route unless someone has a brilliant idea.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

What ID did she use when you married?

Got married with ID under Aunt/Uncle surname.

They died.

DNA test with mother and new ID has mother’s surname.

Edited by BaanOz

2 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

As mentioned in the OP there is no link between her ID when married early 90’s and the ID with her mother’s surname and yes she did this after Auntie/Uncle passed away and after we married.

As, I suspected, she changed her surname after you married.
She therefore would have been issued a certificate of name change as posted above by @brianthainess

Possible she doesn't remember and has misplaced it.

Go to the Provincial Amphoe, and they should be able to trace the change of surname.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Possible she doesn't remember and has misplaced it.

It was never a name change on the original ID, it was a completely new ID.

4 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Got married with ID under Aunt/Uncle surname.

They died.

DNA test with mother and new ID has mother’s surname.

Understood.
As above, to make a change to a new surname is an official procedure, registered on the system and a certificate issued noting the change of name as well as issuing a new ID card reflecting the name change.

The marriage certificate and registration states her previous surname.

After we married, the wife took my surname.
They issued a certificate of name change, changed the name in her Tabien Baan and issued a new ID card.

When we apply for an extension based on Thai spouse, her surname on her ID is the same as mine.

However, on the marriage certificate it is her previous surname.

The certificate of name change confirms to Immigration it is the same person.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

It was never a name change on the original ID, it was a completely new ID.

They issued a new ID with a new surname.

Same, same, there is a record of this event, and she would have been issued a certificate noting the change.

It would be highly irregular for the Amphoe just to issue a new ID card without issuing a notice of some kind.
My wife suggests she returns to the Amphoe that issued her new ID card to resolve the situation.

They will have a record on their system.

Curiosity, but by what name is she registered on a Tabien Baan, her aunt/uncle or her Mothers.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Curiosity, but by what name is she registered on a Tabien Baan, her aunt/uncle or her Mothers.

Her mother’s.

OK this is the deal. As far as we know when she came to Australia in early 90’s there may have been issues with dual citizenship and at the time of getting a Thai passport her ID expired and it was cut up.

We spent many years trying to dig up her old ID information in Bangkok and they also “lost” her old Thai passport.

I understand it sounds highly irregular but there is absolutely zero link/s between her old and new ID.

Maybe a lawyer could give advice (although I doubt it) but think the simplest solution would be for me to stay here on visa based on retirement.

Edited by BaanOz

9 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Her mother’s.

OK, so it was followed through by amending her name in the TB, as should be the case.

Now, was her name merely amended in the existing TB or did they issue a new TB?

11 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

As far as we know when she came to Australia in early 90’s there may have been issues with dual citizenship and at the time of getting a Thai passport her ID expired and it was cut up.

Was this in Australia or Thailand?
Who and where was her new ID card issued?

12 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

We spent many years trying to dig up her old ID information in Bangkok and they also “lost” her old Thai passport.

I understand it sounds highly irregular but there is absolutely zero link/s between her old and new ID.

There will be, it's just finding it.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Now, was her name merely amended in the existing TB or did they issue a new TB?

It couldn’t have been an amendment. It would have been new.

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Was this in Australia or Thailand 

Thailand, just before she came to Australia.

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

There will be, it's just finding it.

Probably but we eventually gave up.

2 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

It couldn’t have been an amendment. It would have been new.

Check!

They quite often just amend the name in the Tabien Baan, rather than issuing a new book.
That could be your lead, as it will be initialled by the registrar that made the changes.

I've never known an Amphoe not issue a certificate in these situations, not to say there's never a first.
It could have been left on the counter instead of being handed over, but the record should be on the system.

It's all part of the record of Thai population census.

@BaanOz

The Thai ID number never changes, even if changing her name.

If the Amphoe states they have no record of the name change, then they must still have her registered in her aunts surname!
How then can she have an ID card in her Mother's name, unless she officially changed her name.

Edited by Liquorice