Car accident should they also be responsible for car rental fees while under repair?

Hi folks as the subject, when they are at fault and ur car needs to be repaired should they also be responsible for the car rental during ur car repair?

what am I supposed to do catch a cab everyday?? 

Has anyone had battled this stigmas???

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In theory, if not at fault and you are off the road, you are entitled to an equivalent rental car.  Your insurance company won't pay for it, but if the other party is properly insured they could try and reclaim it if you gave them the bill.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

i have a standard 1st person insurance from bagkok insurance, does this nomally covers the rental car fees? 

That's obviously the first place to start. Do you have a version or a summary in English?

1 hour ago, villageidiotY2K said:

i have a standard 1st person insurance from bagkok insurance, does this nomally covers the rental car fees? 

From my own experience, the insurance company will say that if drive for doing business, they may compensate car rental costs, but not otherwise, if you're "only" a private person on wheels.

Depends what hits you and what their insurance is like. 

If you got hit by a clapped-out old banger, then their insurance is likely to be dog poo and at best will (partially) fix the car and that's it (most likely). If you get hit by a better-quality car then their insurance will likely be better. 

We have been shunted once or twice and on both occasions the other persons insurance company paid for a rental car - But (an important caveat) only for the time our car was in the garage being fixed, not the total time it was off the road and we needed a rental car.  I think that is standard for most insurance rentals. The daily cap for the rental limit in both cases was 500 baht per day. So if you nip off and rent a flash motor, you may find yourself angry and disappointed when their insurance company only stumps up a fraction of the cost - best advice - ring them and find out. Most insurance companies have excellent English speakers. 

Been through this event, even the girl from my ins broker took me to the other parties insurance office, they said the maximum they would pay out for car rental is 500 baht TOTAL as the accident  wasnt my fault.

I have asked my insurer (Viriyah) on a car accident before (published here before) and the answer was:

1. You can claim for a replacement car during the time that your car is in repair, but only for the 1st class insurance.
2. This service is NOT run by Viriyah but by a separate insurance company.
3. The sum paid out by the separate insurance company is limited to 500 Baht/day.

• Agree 1

On 4/29/2024 at 2:21 PM, villageidiotY2K said:

should they also be responsible for the car rental during ur car repair?

what am I supposed to do catch a cab everyday?? 

Has anyone had battled this stigmas???

No.

Yes.

Probably not.

• Sad 1

A post in which the quoted content had been altered contravening our Community Standards has been removed:

• You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post.

You may well be covered BUT, in my case, only a 'properly' licensed car rental company merits your reimbursement. Submit your rental claim after the first week AND get the company's written assurance of reimbursement. My wife and I ended up before the province's Insurance Commissioner and had to settle on 50% due to the company not being 'properly' licensed. (Oddly, if your car is totalled some insurance companies won't allow a rental.)

On 4/29/2024 at 2:46 PM, CharlieKo said:

Only if your insurance covers the cost of car rental. You could sue the other party but I doubt that will get you anywhere. 

I'm thinking that if your insurance covers the cost of car rental the body shop will give you a "loaner" and add that to their bill to the insurance company.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 1:40 PM, Confuscious said:

I have asked my insurer (Viriyah) on a car accident before (published here before) and the answer was:

1. You can claim for a replacement car during the time that your car is in repair, but only for the 1st class insurance.
2. This service is NOT run by Viriyah but by a separate insurance company.
3. The sum paid out by the separate insurance company is limited to 500 Baht/day.

Same for Bangkok insurance.. they helped file claim to insurance covering party at fault (but that insurance also had approval process and only covered. minimum number of days fastest garage could do the job and not actual time car was out of action/at repair center)

Edited by tomazbodner