Improper disposal of ant bait - hazardous to pets and neighborhood dogs

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to give people a heads up on the importance of proper disposal of ant bait which has been mixed with ant poison.

I've used SanJia ant poison for many years. 

shopping.jpeg.5b35a1af93598861ad5dbc71acc26d6a.jpeg

For those who might not know, this product is designed to be mixed with meat, starch, or sweeteners (depending on the type of ant you're trying to get rid of). The problem is that there is usually bait left over after the ants stop eating it which then needs to be disposed of.  In the past, I usually disposed of the uneaten bait in the trash which then got incinerated in a backyard trash pit.

I wanted to alert people that even a partially incinerated or relatively small amount of food laced with this ant bait can still attract pets and other animals in the neighborhood and end up poisoning them. Apparently, dogs cannot easily recognize that there is ant poison in the food. Yesterday, I found a used container of ice cream in my back yard which i had laced with ant bait. I had burned it along with other trash, but the container was only partially incinerated and a neighborhood dog found it. To my horror I saw that the container had been thoroughly licked clean by the dog.

I am starting to suspect that improperly disposed of bait laced with ant poison may be responsible for more accidental dog poisonings than people realize, and just wanted to take a moment to raise awareness about this potential threat to animal safety.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is the active ingredient? Ivermectin which is used for head lice is in one ant power at 1%. I (not a doctor) wouldn't think it was very toxic to animals in small doses.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

What is the active ingredient? Ivermectin which is used for head lice is in one ant power at 1%. I (not a doctor) wouldn't think it was very toxic to animals in small doses.

Especially since it is readily available and given to dogs, pets, as anti parasite and de-wormer medicine.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Thank you. Was not aware of this. Active ingredient of SanJia is 1.05% Hydramethylnon, which appears to have a low toxicity rate for mammals as well.