Bus driver dies, 29 passengers hurt in Lampang tour bus crash last night

main-3-2.png

A bus driver died and 29 passengers, both Thai and international, got injured- with two sustaining serious injuries- following a bus crash on Tuesday night. The tour bus was en route from Chiang Mai to Bangkok when it lost control, veered off the road and hit a tree.

The unfortunate incident took place on Phahonyothin Road, Ban Mae Tia, in the Thoen district of Lampang province. The driver, Churapat Pramaso, was entrapped in the steering wheel and was declared dead at the scene despite emergency workers' efforts to free him using hand tools.

Most passengers sustained minor injuries while two had severe ones. All injured were rushed to Thoen and Lampang hospitals for medical attention. The authorities suspect that due to torrential rain, the roads were slippery which may have led to the driver losing control of the bus.

Photo courtesy of Thai PBS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It;s a good job they don't have snow and ice here ,imagine the carnage , RIP the driver

regards Worgeordie

I don't think it would have made a difference, the problem here is enforcement- it is as simple as that, until they get really serious about prosecuting and taking people to jail, never happen .......while the police ignore and flaunt their own laws - people will  die, 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The authorities suspect that due to torrential rain, the roads were slippery which may have led to the driver losing control of the bus.

Meat Loaf.... Bat out of Hell:

Like a bat out of hell
I'll be gone when the morning comes
Oh, when the night is over
Like a bat out of hell
I'll be gone gone gone
Like a bat out of hell
I'll be gone when the morning comes
But when the day is done and the sun goes down
And the moonlight's shining through
Then like a sinner before the gates of Heaven
I'll come crawling on back to you

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The driver, Churapat Pramaso, was entrapped in the steering wheel and was declared dead at the scene despite emergency workers' efforts to free him using hand tools.

Sounds awfull, perhaps using a seatbelt would have helped him?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and hit a tree.

I didn't know there were trees left in Lampang ..after the burning season🤔

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

I didn't know there were trees left in Lampang ..after the burning season🤔

You think they put that tree there for the sake of the photo.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The authorities suspect that due to torrential rain, the roads were slippery which may have led to the driver losing control of the bus.

No bad driving caused him to lose control, I have driven HGV's in many countries, in all kinds of weather, and never lost control, even on unfamiliar roads or that were badly lit, uphill & down, round curves and bends.

The few buses that I've been on, the drivers have actually been quite good. 

One from BKK to Korat even slowed right down once we hit some torrential rain around Pak Chong/Khao Yai area. 

Cars going opposite direction weren't and resulted in a 6 car pile up... Speed and aqua planning.  Dumb arse drivers (probably bald tyres too) 

On 5/8/2024 at 12:34 PM, snoop1130 said:

Of course nothing to do with possibly speeding! At least the person responsible for the accident took one for the team!