New car, driving without plates

56 minutes ago, JAS21 said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op - very simple this one.

You 'should' have Red Plates and an accompanying brown book which theoretcially you fill out for each journey. 

Police are very slack on this so its not usually an issue, but it an issue the Police 'could' pull you up on if they wanted to. 

Dealers in Thailand are notoriously lazy when it comes to getting the vehicle registered, often taking months. 

A while ago, it was reported that there is a 'months leeway' between collecting the vehicle and picking up the car (announced in one of the many crackdowns etc a few years ago... numerous other crackdowns on other things since then).

-------

Resolution: 

Go to the DLT and get your own Plates...  This is something I have done with my last two motorcycles and last 3 cars. 

Its a fairly simple process and easily done by yourself.

Once you have the 'slip' from the DLT you take that back to your dealer who gets 'official' number plates made up and about a week later they should be ready to affix to your car (and you receive the Blue Book).

Expand  

I believe that white plates cannot be issued until the dealer has paid the tax on the car…he wants to hang on to that money as long as possible. My wife always registers any new can we buy. Many dealers charge for this simple process, and sometimes quite a lot.

I've never had a dealership 'charg' me extra for sorting out my own 'registration number' (two Bikes, three cars so far)...   maybe I misunderstood you.

I do recall a 'registration fee'... when making a purchase - but that involves getting the white plates made etc...and the dealer still has to pay the registration fee, even if I sort out my own 'registration number'.... 

I just tell them that dealerships take too long for the white plates and as we will be travelling at night and out of province I don't want any potential hassles with red plates... 

I just return to the dealership with a slip of paper from the DLT and tell them I want the White Plates ready to fit within the week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Better the sales person gets some commission rather than none, if I take my order to Honda or MG

MG offered me a promo 100,000bt discount if I buy this month, but the wife was not impressed with the car

Its ok though...  'cos 'Khun LA' will be your new best mate if you got an MG !!! :giggle:

On 5/12/2024 at 5:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

-------

Resolution: 

Go to the DLT and get your own Plates...  This is something I have done with my last two motorcycles and last 3 cars. 

Its a fairly simple process and easily done by yourself.

Once you have the 'slip' from the DLT you take that back to your dealer who gets 'official' number plates made up and about a week later they should be ready to affix to your car (and you receive the Blue Book).

Is the slip for reserving your 'special' number

In my experience getting plate from the DLT is just turning up to the DLT with the paperwork and coming home with plate and blue/green book 

you just had to ask the dealer that you'll be registering yourself and they won't charge you the 3-500 baht registration service 

Getting your own plate at the DLT is simple, if you had the necessary paperwork (Registration Kit) from the dealer, which they don't have as the manufacturer won't release it to the dealer until they've been paid, hence  the delay

Some brands are strange like Kawasaki and Ducati that they never release the 'registration kit' for self registraton ever

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 4:15 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I bought a new car 2 yrs ago. No red plates given, drove that way for months till plates came in. No problem. Drove through checkpoints, no problem.

That's a real life story.

I have the insurance policy and now a copy of the paid invoice.

Still don't feel too good doing distant travel.

May even go on my old car which is well maintained (just had 160 tkm service).

But not nice to have 700k dead capital in the garage?

On a phone call today it was estimated that the proper sign plates would take four weeks.

Again somewhat shady.

A mate had a "request for waiver" letter to "all officials" from Nissan.

The letter has the details about the purchase and registration being done by the dealer.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, digbeth said:

Getting your own plate at the DLT is simple, if you had the necessary paperwork (Registration Kit) from the dealer, which they don't have as the manufacturer won't release it to the dealer until they've been paid, hence  the delay

That's interesting and in line with my suspicion. Better keep the money on their account than on mine or the manufacturer's account.

So saying I won't pay before the sign plates are ready will not work.

Where is the factory outlet :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

So saying I won't pay before the sign plates are ready will not work.

Actually it does, you can make it condition of delivery that the car be delivered with plate, businesses and government department do this when buying cars,

and you won't accept the car or hand over the final cheque until the car is plated, what will happens is that your brand new car is ready, but sitting in the dealership garage until the day plate arrives,   vs you driving home with the brand new car today with no plate or red plate, knowing that consequence from police trouble is negligible 

I certainly went down the route of getting the registration kit to do it myself after chasing for plates from the dealer for months, 

• Thanks 1