Thailand Shuts 12 Marine Parks to Tackle Coral Bleaching Crisis

webfact

On 5/13/2024 at 3:35 AM, webfact said:

This closure period also buys time for officials to come up with lasting solutions to this ongoing environmental challenge

That will be interesting, maybe these 'officials' can come up with a solution that all the top scientists in the world can't. 

27 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Let me tell you a little story Mike. When I was about 10 years old I got my allowance one week, which I had to work hard for we had a decent sized yard. I admit I only did this once, but I called up the surf rider foundation and donated my entire 10 dollar allowance to them. Now I have no idea if that made any difference whatever or even if I was scammed, but what I get sick of is these people who spend a Saturday at the ocean once a month trying to tell me what’s going on in the ocean. They really and truly do have no idea. They’re just ingesting the mainstream narrative that the media wants them to be concerned with. And the truth is, if you want to be an effective fighter for the environment, you have got to dig a little deeper than the most recent report from Rachel maddow on coral bleaching. 

I don't think you necessarily need to even visit the ocean to be able to understand the cause of many of its problems today. Doctors don't need to see patients to be able to diagnose their health issues, in many/most cases they just need data. 65 years ago my dad read an article in the paper that talked about the hole in the ozone layer and global warming, it took him days to settle down after reading it and vented his anger at the press for printing such nonsense, "in this day and age". The many meteorological changes that I've witnessed between then and now are astonishing, cyclical change of that dimension don't take place over 65 years, it take millions.

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

If you don’t know the biggest problem in the ocean is plastics, right now, and especially in the future, I can’t help you. That is the hugest environmental problem in the world right now, but people want to focus on climate change. Something you can’t fix even if we do all decide it’s an actual real thing. Quite convenient. Are we getting it yet?

My argument would be both plastic pollution and global warming are equally serious problems.

The 1987 Montreal Protocol on ozone-depleting substances proved environmental problems can be fixed, provided enough nations can be signed up to the solution.

The oceans have been the dumping ground for plastics and heat, ever since the Industrial Revolution and the invention of plastic. When our seas start to stink, time to move to another planet.

I can't see Thailand signing up to any plastics protocol. IMO it's the most profligate user of plastics on the planet.

• Like 1

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.”