Spare & Small (250 GBytes)_ SSDs: What might they be good for?

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks,

I guess, if you are like me, then you might have a few older and smaller SSDs hanging about your house.

So then....

What are they good for?

Can they be added to your system to perform any useful function?

Or, should you just donate them to your local Temple here in Thailand?

In my case, I have 4 small (250 GB) SSDs...lying about.

How might I use them.

Maybe I should try to use them in a RAID configuration to do......"something"?

I mean, I just to not feel right about chucking these SAMSUNG SSDs into the landfill.

Any thoughts?

(These days, 250 GB of SSD, per drive, is just almost piddling.)

So, what might, usefully, be done with them?

Thanks...

Gamma

NOTE:  Do these old SSDs, of smaller capacity, such at 250 GBytes, really have no value for me, any longer?  Or what to do with them?

Thang you!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Posted (edited)

I used to use for back up of important things DVD Disks = total 4.7 GB per disk

So a SSD of 250 GB is great, take very little room in the desk draw + can store a lot as a back up

I only have 1 small SSD spare and that has a Image of my OS - 'C' drive, so should anything go wrong in my PC can swap drives 

If you have things on your computer that you could never replace, then copy to a SSD and store some place  .. just encase a drive fails you at least have a copy 

I am old = do not understand or use the cloud storage thing, I like to have backups within reach not floating around somewhere.

Edited by ignis
  • Agree 1

I agree with ignis.

Clone your current OS / computer to one of these spare SSD's and keep it as a spare in case you have a major crash / dead SSD.  After cloning, do not keep it in the computer or connected to the computer to protect it from any possible power surge. 

Over time, as Windows updates and any changes to settings you make take place, clone again to a different SSD.  Then, some months later, format the first SSD and clone again to it, and keep cycling the two SSD's so you always have a reasonably new clone of your OS or whole computer.    

Back up photos and music to the third SSD.   

The fourth SSD you may consider cloning your current OS / computer and leaving it at a different location in case of fire, theft, flood etc.  This is keeping in practice with the 3 - 2 - 1 of backing up data.  That is, 3 copies, on 2 different devices, with 1 stored at another location.

6 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I agree with ignis.

Clone your current OS / computer to one of these spare SSD's and keep it as a spare in case you have a major crash / dead SSD.  After cloning, do not keep it in the computer or connected to the computer to protect it from any possible power surge. 

Over time, as Windows updates and any changes to settings you make take place, clone again to a different SSD.  Then, some months later, format the first SSD and clone again to it, and keep cycling the two SSD's so you always have a reasonably new clone of your OS or whole computer.    

Back up photos and music to the third SSD.   

The fourth SSD you may consider cloning your current OS / computer and leaving it at a different location in case of fire, theft, flood etc.  This is keeping in practice with the 3 - 2 - 1 of backing up data.  That is, 3 copies, on 2 different devices, with 1 stored at another location.

Yes.

I agreed, as well.

But, by the way: I no longer plan on using WIN OS.  I am migrating all computers to openSUSE.

No more messages, do I plan to tolerate, from Microsoft telling me that my Windows will "soon expire".

• Sad 1

On 5/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

I agreed, as well.

But, by the way: I no longer plan on using WIN OS.  I am migrating all computers to openSUSE.

No more messages, do I plan to tolerate, from Microsoft telling me that my Windows will "soon expire".

Looks interesting.  How compatible and secure is it? 

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Looks interesting.  How compatible and secure is it? 

How Secure is openSUSE?

VERY!!!!

I already finished my migration, for my computers, to openSUSE.

AND....if you might doubt me....then...just ask a GLOBAL MOD here at TV....

Because....The Global MODS know what I am running, for SURE!

• Sad 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:41 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

One would assume you were still running Win 7 then. So much complaint. It´s simple! Windows is the global standard for work, both online and in office. There is a reason for that. It is compatible with all we might need. But, sure, if you wish to only play around or maybe open a web hosting business or establish a private server. Yes, then a Linux (Unix like system will be good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How Secure is openSUSE?

VERY!!!!

I mean, how compatible is it with programs, not websites. 

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:27 AM, ignis said:

I am old = do not understand or use the cloud storage thing, I like to have backups within reach not floating around somewhere.

So how old are you?

I am 77 and completely understand the Cloud, back-ups to SSDs, and Windows 11.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:41 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

I agreed, as well.

Mint 21.3 is the best . ( in my opinion )

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why? Have you not yet figured out how to make a screenshot? 🙂 Also we need a pic of that supercomputer you were supposedly building,

1 hour ago, lom said:

All your photos, videos, music and other data on a bigger 1TB (D:) data drive.

Which, in Windows, you can designate as your One Drive 'folder', and it's there in the Cloud as well.

On 5/15/2024 at 4:34 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

How might I use them.

The are extremely useful to store data.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So how old are you?

I am 77 and completely understand the Cloud, back-ups to SSDs, and Windows 11.

Younger only 74

A friend uses Cloud storage all the time, but is forever getting messages to buy larger storage

32 minutes ago, ignis said:

Younger only 74

A friend uses Cloud storage all the time, but is forever getting messages to buy larger storage

Maybe that is a hint right, to do something? A classical hard drive would just stop the running process or get errors when it is full too.

10 hours ago, ignis said:

Younger only 74

If you subscribe to Microsoft 365, for about 80 quid a year, SIX people each get 1TB of One Drive storage plus 100 minutes of Skype calls to anywhere per month. Good value 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

If you subscribe to Microsoft 365, for about 80 quid a year, SIX people each get 1TB of One Drive storage plus 100 minutes of Skype calls to anywhere per month. Good value 

Never used Microsoft Office or this new Microsoft 365 office thing,

Guess for people that use Microsoft office things is a good deal....

Inside my PC have 1x SSD  1x 4TB HDD, + have 4 empty drawers for HDDs + 1 empty drawers for SSD, also plugged in 3 x USB 2 TB My Passports.

in the desk drawer have 4 x 1 TB HDDS + 1 x SDD... so have at least one copy of everything.... so if  have a problem easy to slide a copy HDD into PC, so have no need for Cloud Storage

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Never used Microsoft Office or this new Microsoft 365 office thing,

Guess for people that use Microsoft office things is a good deal....

Inside my PC have 1x SSD  1x 4TB HDD, + have 4 empty drawers for HDDs + 1 empty drawers for SSD, also plugged in 3 x USB 2 TB My Passports.

in the desk drawer have 4 x 1 TB HDDS + 1 x SDD... so have at least one copy of everything.... so if  have a problem easy to slide a copy HDD into PC, so have no need for Cloud Storage

NEW M'soft 365??? I and my family have been using it for several years, very successfully.

What do you use instead of Office?

In my Fractal tower, I have room for EIGHT 3.5inch drives..I use ONE as a 1TB back-up drive'

There is space behind the motherboard for two SSDs, I use ONE, a Samsung 1TB partitioned into 250GB as C, system drive, and D = Data Drive, which is designated as my One Drive so automatically uploads to the Cloud when anything is changed. I use the same system on another PC, and my Laptop, and One Drive on my phone,  so all data is immediately available on any device. Works a treat.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:49 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

How Secure is openSUSE?

VERY!!!!

A very confusing post, as usual.

Which GLOBAL MOD do you suggest I ask?

Is it against forum rules to use openSUSE?

What is TV? In my world it is a box on which to watch movies and other programmes.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 4:34 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Hi Folks,

I guess, if you are like me, then you might have a few older and smaller SSDs hanging about your house.

So then....

What are they good for?

Can they be added to your system to perform any useful function?

Or, should you just donate them to your local Temple here in Thailand?

How might I use them.

Maybe I should try to use them in a RAID configuration to do......"something"?

I mean, I just to not feel right about chucking these SAMSUNG SSDs into the landfill.

Any thoughts?

(These days, 250 GB of SSD, per drive, is just almost piddling.)

So, what might, usefully, be done with them?

Thanks...

Gamma

NOTE:  Do these old SSDs, of smaller capacity, such at 250 GBytes, really have no value for me, any longer?  Or what to do with them?

Thang you!

You could save all the many posts you have put up here and previously on Thai Visa.............oops, sorry, you only have 1 TB of drives, not enough space!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A very confusing post, as usual.

Which GLOBAL MOD do you suggest I ask?

Is it against forum rules to use openSUSE?

What is TV? In my world it is a box on which to watch movies and other programmes.

I am not a bit confused, for one.

I suggest that you do not bother or disturb the Global Mods over such triviality.

I am not confused; I will state once more.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You could save all the many posts you have put up here and previously on Thai Visa.............oops, sorry, you only have 1 TB of drives, not enough space!

I have 15 TBytes on Google Drive.

I have 1 TByte of space on SSDs and HDDs.

Still not even enough to save my posts on TV, as you say.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

NEW M'soft 365??? I and my family have been using it for several years, very successfully.

What do you use instead of Office?

In my Fractal tower, I have room for EIGHT 3.5inch drives..I use ONE as a 1TB back-up drive'

There is space behind the motherboard for two SSDs, I use ONE, a Samsung 1TB partitioned into 250GB as C, system drive, and D = Data Drive, which is designated as my One Drive so automatically uploads to the Cloud when anything is changed. I use the same system on another PC, and my Laptop, and One Drive on my phone,  so all data is immediately available on any device. Works a treat.

Use WPS Office it has been called for a few years.  previously Kingsoft Office for many years  > [founded back in 1988 same year as M$ Office]]

48 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have 15 TBytes on Google Drive.

I have 1 TByte of space on SSDs and HDDs.

Still not even enough to save my posts on TV, as you say.

Sorry.

I meant to say that  I have 15 TBytes of space on Google Drive.

14 TBytes on SSDs and HDDs.

Still, not enough storage for me, of course.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I suggest that you do not bother or disturb the Global Mods over such triviality.

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It was you who suggested asking a MOD here. On TV????

I think that you are a very confused member of Asean Now.