Why do I always get dandruff after a few weeks of being in Thailand?

Even when using the same Head and Shoulder shampoo I use at home, I still end up getting itchy/flaky scalp after just a few weeks in Thailand. I have stayed long-term in Singapore and didn't have this issue, it's only in Thailand (I cant compare it against other countries, unfortunately). Is it something in the water? Should I wash my hair with bottled water!? I think climate is too similar to Singapore to suggest that is the reason. And it doesn't matter what time of the year, it always comes on after a couple of weeks!

12 minutes ago, DPat said:

Even when using the same Head and Shoulder shampoo I use at home, I still end up getting itchy/flaky scalp after just a few weeks in Thailand. I have stayed long-term in Singapore and didn't have this issue, it's only in Thailand (I cant compare it against other countries, unfortunately). Is it something in the water? Should I wash my hair with bottled water!? I think climate is too similar to Singapore to suggest that is the reason. And it doesn't matter what time of the year, it always comes on after a couple of weeks!

Simply the Sun and heat drying your skin scalp out.

Maybe it's something to do with being a "root" admin...

Joking aside, lots of people who come to Thailand complain about what the water does to their hair. 

"Scabies" is very prevalent in Thailand and can look like dandruff.  Easily contacted on hotel linens. a barbers unsterilized comb, a motorcycle taxi helmet, etc.   There are special medicated shampoos but they are hard to get rid off.

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, dddave said:

"Scabies" is very prevalent in Thailand and can look like dandruff.  Easily contacted on hotel linens. a barbers unsterilized comb, a motorcycle taxi helmet, etc.   There are special medicated shampoos but they are hard to get rid off.

Yes I seem to get scabies a lot here....not only in my hair, but in my armpits, in my groins, and in my buttcrack. Very difficult to get rid of. I looked inside a motorcycle taxi helmet on time and vomited into it is was crawling with lice and other living things. What I would do mate is to shower and wash/rinse your hair with cool/cold water. It will make an instant difference, and stop your hair loss if that is an issue. I'd ditch the H&S too, and use an un-perfumed  baby shampoo. 

• Like 1

What's the joke @Dmaxdan? 😜 I'm heavily leaning towards the water.

Def not the weather cos no problem in Singapore ever. I hope it's not scabies, sounds like a pirate's disease!! Also, it doesn't affect anywhere else and happens in every hotel.

H&S is so reliable everywhere else tho!!

I get these kind of symptoms occasionally. My fix is have a No 3 buzz cut (home administered by Madam Moon)  and then I apply Bergamot hair lotion twice a day. That generally sorts it within a few days. In addition I always wear a sun hat when I go out.

Bergamot products are readily available in supermarkets.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Extended periods in aircon can dry the scalp.

air conditioners can contribute to a dry scalp. They work by removing moisture from the air, which can also reduce the moisture level of your skin, including your scalp. This can lead to dryness, flakiness, and sometimes dandruff12To help prevent dry scalp, you might consider using a humidifier to add moisture back into the air, or applying a hydrating scalp serum3Additionally, avoiding very hot showers and using gentle, sulfate-free hair care products can also help maintain scalp hydration

My Mrs has no problem with dandruff when staying home in the North and not using aircon. However, if we go away and spend a month or two in an apartment then she regularly suffers from dandruff. I suspected it may be down to my heavy use of the aircon and I think this supports my suspicions. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Extended periods in aircon can dry the scalp.

air conditioners can contribute to a dry scalp. They work by removing moisture from the air, which can also reduce the moisture level of your skin, including your scalp. This can lead to dryness, flakiness, and sometimes dandruff12To help prevent dry scalp, you might consider using a humidifier to add moisture back into the air, or applying a hydrating scalp serum3Additionally, avoiding very hot showers and using gentle, sulfate-free hair care products can also help maintain scalp hydration

Go a week without ac. Get back to us with results

• Confused 1