Police Retake Building from Pro-Palestinian Protesters at UC Irvine

image.png

Police successfully reclaimed a lecture hall at the University of California, Irvine (UC Irvine) from pro-Palestinian protesters who had occupied the building for hours. Law enforcement also cleared a student encampment that had been in place for over two weeks. This protest was part of a broader movement across U.S. campuses in response to the ongoing war in Gaza, with activists calling for a ceasefire, the protection of civilian lives, and university divestment from Israeli interests.

UC Irvine officials had requested police intervention after declaring the occupation a "violent protest." Officers from about ten nearby law enforcement agencies converged on the campus, equipped in riot gear, and formed barricades while issuing warnings to protesters. Within four hours, police had removed the protesters from the lecture hall and the adjacent plaza. The university reported a minimal number of arrests and described the protesters as "begrudgingly cooperative."

Chancellor Howard Gillman expressed regret over the necessity of police involvement, emphasizing that the university had attempted to manage the situation without escalation. He stated that the university had been in talks with the protesters but failed to reach a compromise on an alternative, non-disruptive protest site. Gillman highlighted the university's commitment to enforcing regulations against illegal encampments and reiterated the institution’s stance against divesting from Israel. "Encampment protesters have focused most of their demands on actions that would require the university to violate the academic freedom rights of faculty, the free speech rights of faculty and fellow students, and the civil rights of many of our Jewish students," Gillman said.

Protesters had set up an encampment adjacent to the lecture hall on April 29, and on May 15, between 200 to 300 protesters took over the lecture hall during a period when no classes were in session. Police used a loudspeaker to declare the gathering an unlawful assembly, warning of potential arrests. Officers formed lines and gradually pushed protesters back before making arrests and clearing the plaza. Protesters chanted, banged drums, and displayed banners, including one renaming the building "Alex Odeh Hall" in honor of a Palestinian activist killed in 1985.

The University of California system has maintained its position on not divesting from Israeli interests, citing concerns over academic freedom, free speech, and civil rights. While the university managed to regain control of its facilities, the event highlights the challenges institutions face in balancing protest rights with campus regulations and safety concerns.

Credit: Reuters 2024-05-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

When are the dems gonna call off their foot soldiers?

The umbrella anarchist are back to rile up decent Americans ,same as the Summer of love riots did in the 2020 elections.

methinks

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, riclag said:

methinks

But obviously not beyond the bumper sticker on the pick up in front of you at the car park of the latest Trump Rally!

And yes I think the protesters are stupid and self indulgent, and I hope the police were forceful, especially against any screaming poofs attempting to justify slaughter and mass rape ( sorry, deeply concerned and engaged non binary protesters) with pink or fluorescent hair!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surely these protests are "mostly peaceful" like the BLM riots? Why so heavy handed ?

I guess beating down privileged white kids is a better look than...

Either way, it's always good to see the extreme left get a dose of reality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

But obviously not beyond the bumper sticker on the pick up in front of you at the car park of the latest Trump Rally!

And yes I think the protesters are stupid and self indulgent, and I hope the police were forceful, especially against any screaming poofs attempting to justify slaughter and mass rape ( sorry, deeply concerned and engaged non binary protesters) with pink or fluorescent hair!

I don’t understand all of that pink hair

non binary protesters stuff!

But the optics are so so familiar minus the looting!

bidens left supporters are terrorizing all over America .

Columbia building 

Berkley

Ucla

uc irvine

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 5:31 PM, paul1804 said:

Deport them in 48 hours, that will stop the BS from reoccurring!

Send them to Gaza where they can joint Hamas and actually fight the Israelis.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, riclag said:

Columbia building 

Berkley

Ucla

uc irvine

Put Portland on the list! Destruction costing over 700k

The estimate does not include expenses for replacing and repairing any damaged technology or furniture, and PSU President Ann Cudd said on Wednesday that she expected the full cost to surpass $1 million.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/protests/portland-state-university-protest-library-occupation-damages/283-e3c8a742-398f-4315-9ba3-7d0b91b057d2

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Send them to Gaza where they can joint Hamas and actually fight the Israelis.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:31 AM, paul1804 said:

Deport them in 48 hours, that will stop the BS from reoccurring!

It aint gonna stop!

Revolution is the lefts goal in the west!

Look at the signage !

If there was a ceasefire and terrorist hamas was appeased , the extremist on the left would find another cause.

Chants of Death to America is real and stronger more than ever.

Methinks

Edited by riclag

15 hours ago, riclag said:

Columbia building 

Berkley

Ucla

uc irvine

You don't seem to realize that these protestors oppose Biden's Israel policy.

In other words, you are confused.

Just now, riclag said:

It aint gonna stop!

Look at the signage !

If there was a ceasefire and terrorist hamas was appeased , the extremist on the left would find another cause.

Methinks

I hope you understand that some of your MAGA friends here oppose Israel's Gaza war.

What do you have to say to them?

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

It aint gonna stop!

Look at the signage !

Chants of Death to America is real and stronger more than ever.

Methinks

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When it's IMO propaganda by a link to a JINSA site It's relevant.

IMO it's 80 warmongering generals and admirals that want to see the ME in flames.

This constant interference by the US in the ME has got to end before they destroy everything.

I will let you two settle this