Walk with a Weighted Vest to Lose Weight

Posted (edited)

Ok, so I got an idea for weight loss.

I'm not a big fan of jogging because it bangs up the joints. I don't even think it's good for heart health.

One idea is to get a weighted vest. Not too heavy to avoid hurting your back. 

Then walk 15 minutes to the supermarket every day. Walk inside the supermarket with the weighted vest while you do groceries. Then walk back home.

Or any errands you need to do, do it with the vest.

Or take a stroll on Beach Road with your vest.

Now you've just walked 45 minutes with this vest and this will create a decent workout, all while running your errands.

And it won't have the negative impact on your joints that jogging does. 

Adjustable Weighted Vest 44LB Workout Weight Vest Training Fitness Weighted  Jacket for Man Woman (Included 96 Steel Plates Weights)

Edited by save the frogs

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a saying you can't exercise your way out of a poor diet

Wrong - the saying is " you can't out train a bad diet " but good attempt, you were close.

Thus, i was right.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Walking is good for you...   if you are overweight you are alway waking with the 'weighted vest'... 

A weighted vest will add wear and tear on your joints (as being overweight does)

i'm not that overweight. just a few excess pounds, so for me the vest might work to strengthen legs and lose those few extra pounds. 

but good point. might be a bad idea if you're really overweight.

I wear my weighted vest a little lower than chest height. I wear it everywhere. I wear when I sleep. When I wake. When I walk. Even when I talk. I wear it while my grand daughter pokes it and  laughs.

Did Doctor Seuss cover this topic?

21 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

I wear my weighted vest a little lower than chest height. I wear it everywhere. I wear when I sleep. When I wake. When I walk. Even when I talk. I wear it while my grand daughter pokes it and  laughs.

Did Doctor Seuss cover this topic?

10 Surprisingly Profound Dr Seuss Quotes | 4OVER4.COM

• Thanks 1

I once went from 100 Kg to 60 Kg (no idea what it is in made up Americans units). And basically my experience is that exercise does nothing. Stopping stuffing you face with food & beers does the thing.

And I run 6 days a week, so I'm not against exercise. It just doesn't work for weight lose. Just run some calories calculator and you will see to burn small bottle of Coca Cola you would have to walk for and 1 hour. For burning you Starbucks coffee taking a 4 hours hike. And another 6 hours hike for the 4 beers you had after lunch. 

Exercise is just not the way. Controlling calories input is.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, AnotherOneHere said:

For burning you Starbucks coffee taking a 4 hours hike. And another 6 hours hike for the 4 beers you had after lunch. 

A step too far !!....   

Coffee has very low calories (about 2-5)...   so there's no need to miss out on that, just don't add loads of sugar and syrups to it.

As far as beer is concerned...  thats my nemesis... but there is low carb beer available (from 7-11).

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A step too far !!....   

Coffee has very low calories (about 2-5)...   so there's no need to miss out on that, just don't add loads of sugar and syrups to it.

As far as beer is concerned...  thats my nemesis... but there is low carb beer available (from 7-11).

I'm not talking about coffee. But about Starbucks coffee. They are more than 25% of recommended daily calories intake.

11111.png.81cd702409fdd47bcc5ff066724b709a.png

4 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

... I'm not against exercise. It just doesn't work for weight lose...

Well said,

Animals are extremely efficient at gaining weight when food is available and even more efficient holding on to it when scarce,

Exercise for fitness, strength, range of motion, endurance,  restrict calories to lose weight,

1 hour ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I'm not talking about coffee. But about Starbucks coffee. They are more than 25% of recommended daily calories intake.

11111.png.81cd702409fdd47bcc5ff066724b709a.png

that's not coffee.

those are DESSERTS that CONTAIN coffee

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

I once went from 100 Kg to 60 Kg (no idea what it is in made up Americans units). And basically my experience is that exercise does nothing. Stopping stuffing you face with food & beers does the thing.

And I run 6 days a week, so I'm not against exercise. It just doesn't work for weight lose. Just run some calories calculator and you will see to burn small bottle of Coca Cola you would have to walk for and 1 hour. For burning you Starbucks coffee taking a 4 hours hike. And another 6 hours hike for the 4 beers you had after lunch. 

Exercise is just not the way. Controlling calories input is.

It's not the calories you burn while exercising, aerobic; running, cycling, or what ever, but the increased raise in you metabolism that stays with you after exercising.  That will burn calories at a higher rate.

@save the frogs I prefer cycling, whether outdoors, or stationary bike in clean AC'd air indoors.  Stationary, and a mere 20 minutes is enough.   Outdoors, usually on hour or so, 15-30 kms, depending on mood and weather.

Cycling vs running, as much less impact on back and joints.  For weight loss, early morning, before first meal, as will burn reserved fat for energy, since no food intake yet.  After 20 minutes, you're wide awake & energized for the day. 

I add some minor floor exercises, push ups, back stretches and stomach crunches, and more for my back muscles, than anything else.  Very short time doing that, 5-10 minutes max, at slow pace.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@save the frogs I prefer cycling, whether outdoors, or stationary bike in clean AC'd air indoors.  Stationary, and a mere 20 minutes is enough.   Outdoors, usually on hour or so, 15-30 kms, depending on mood and weather.

I mentioned in other threads that I'm not a fan of cycling because bicycles and cars dont mix well.

stationary bike yes. if you want to make the investment or have access to a gym.

of course there are many ways to exercise.

the point of this OP is doing the exercise while running errands, which we all must do. So no need to set extra time aside for exercise if you're busy or lazy. 

8 hours ago, mikem20 said:

Great for swimming too I bet 

As i get older i find more and more that 45 mins to an hour of swimming a day creates much less stress on legs etc and firms up more muscles than walking....and i am a guy who has been walking over 100 miles a month for decades...i still love walking but more and more aches and pains and hip and back pains so walking is being cut back and replaced with swimming...plus don't have to worry about sweating so much or getting hit by a motorcy.   Fortunately there are only a few days each winter that it is a bit too cold for a swim.  I am lucky to live in a condo with a huge pool so it works for me.

38 minutes ago, pomchop said:

As i get older i find more and more that 45 mins to an hour of swimming a day creates much less stress on legs etc and firms up more muscles than walking....and i am a guy who has been walking over 100 miles a month for decades...i still love walking but more and more aches and pains and hip and back pains so walking is being cut back and replaced with swimming...plus don't have to worry about sweating so much or getting hit by a motorcy.   Fortunately there are only a few days each winter that it is a bit too cold for a swim.  I am lucky to live in a condo with a huge pool so it works for me.

Swimming and rowing machine, the best full body work out without a toll on your body

13 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Well in that case... 

...   Cut back on cake and desserts, pies, chips etc too... 

I think that covers the point that when you mentioned Starbucks the assumption was that you meant coffee... 'cos if you are referring to 'high calorie' drinks, specifying only Starbucks is somewhat misleading...