Understanding Putin’s Motivations Behind the Ukraine Invasion

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

He is forming an opinion of Putin’s intentions, based on his (Horowitz’s) own interpretation of events and information from tainted sources.

For eg, in the first para:

When questioned about the timing of the invasion, Horowitz asserts that the crisis is a product of Putin’s own making. The Biden administration’s information indicates that Putin meticulously engineered the situation to justify Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

What does he mean a crisis of Putin’s own making? This crisis was forced on Russia.

From the second para:

Horowitz emphasizes that Putin perceives an independent, democratic Ukraine as a significant threat to his regime and to Russia. 

Total nonsense. Ukraine is an irrelevant country on the global stage. Most people probably never even heard of it before the conflict started. It is its geographical location that has brought it into focus.

3rd para:

Putin’s ambitions extend beyond Ukraine. Horowitz notes that Putin harbors maximalist goals of reestablishing Russia’s status akin to its Cold War power.

Just repeating more western propaganda. At this point, I didn’t bother reading anymore as he has nothing original to say.

I noticed you like to quote Wikipedia as if it’s unbiased and factual in all instances. It is in fact full of western propaganda and disinformation. In your own words, you stand as testimony.

Are you Russian?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Because in my opinion, his conclusions are all wrong. To me,  he’s just another western mouthpiece, possibly funded by those who has an agenda.

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Imo Horowitz makes a compelling argument in support of the premise is, " ... Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is driven by Putin’s desire to expand Russian influence and power".

He is far from being an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, rabas said:

The Wiki articles have 577 verified references on Russian propaganda from all over the world. Did you read them? 

My views on Russia come from lifelong interaction with Russia and close longtime Russian friends, not media. They will tell you do not believe anything that comes out of Russia. Emphasis theirs. 

What a coincidence. All my American friends tell me not to believe anything that comes out of America. 

It doesn’t matter what your views are or what your (imaginary?) friends tell you. Every country spreads its own propaganda and none more so than America. More countries in the world sides with Russia than against. That simple fact speaks volumes.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, RayC said:

Imo Horowitz makes a compelling argument in support of the premise is, " ... Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is driven by Putin’s desire to expand Russian influence and power".

He is far from being an idiot.

He makes a compelling argument in your view, because that’s what you want to believe.

In my view, he’s talking nonsense. That makes him an idiot, in my view.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

They had to encroach, Russia invaded Chechnya, Georgia, Crimea, eastern Ukraine! What’s next?

thank god nato did this. Russia would be steamrolling Eastern Europe if they didn’t!

Standard western propaganda. Don’t you have something more original?

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Denim said:

High praise for Tucker.

Tucker’s a racist, xenophobe and many other disgusting things. Sadly, he’s not an idiot as he knows what his audience likes to hear and believe. Fortunately, I’m not part of his audience.

9 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

They had to encroach, Russia invaded Chechnya, Georgia, Crimea, eastern Ukraine! What’s next?

thank god nato did this. Russia would be steamrolling Eastern Europe if they didn’t!

yeah, all Putin wants is to take over Europe😒

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

An idiot is a person of low intelligence. Whether you accept Horowitz's premise or conclusion, he presents a coherent argument which suggests that he is not an idiot.

I do not want to believe anything. It's simply that I find the counter arguments such as this war all being part of some US attempt to solidify its' unipolar hegemony; Russia having no choice; Putin saving Ukraine from corruption; Putin ridding us of Nazism, etc altogether less convincing.

We all have bias. We need to recognise that and mitigate against as best we can.

Ok, easy question. NATO expanding into Ukraine poses a major threat to Russia. Agree or disagree?

• Confused 2