Understanding Putin’s Motivations Behind the Ukraine Invasion

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Points to note:- NATO doesn't move, countries join NATO out of necessity to protect themselves from the monster that is Russia. 

Why are you so protective of an authoritarian regime that treats Ukrainians as second class citizens and rapes, kills, tortures, and is in the process of destroying every bit of infrastructure they can bomb, this says so much about your mindset and it's not nice!

so,  you invented a scenario that didn't happen ? yes or no. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

No. HTH

the talks didn't happen because BoJo flew from the UK and put a stop to it, so no negotiations were done, meaning you invented that whole scenario!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Wobblybob said:

He brings the same argument to these boards on every thread thinking he'll get a different answer. 🥴

I know, he just has a fruitcake agenda...........🥴

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Points to note:- NATO doesn't move, countries join NATO out of necessity to protect themselves from the monster that is Russia. 

Why are you so protective of an authoritarian regime that treats Ukrainians as second class citizens and rapes, kills, tortures, and is in the process of destroying every bit of infrastructure they can bomb, this says so much about your mindset and it's not nice!

as opposed to the US regime that invades and destroys countries 1000's of miles from their shores, kills 100000's of civilians, 

since when do you care about Ukranians? let me guess..feb 2022?  remember under Trump Ukraine was the 3rd or 4th on the world list for corruption, that swiftly changed didnt it, now the received billions in aid. you guys just flip flop back n dforth as the media tells you to...... 🐑🐑🐑

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

as opposed to the US regime that invades and destroys countries 1000's of miles from their shores, kills 100000's of civilians, 

since when do you care about Ukranians? let me guess..feb 2022?  remember under Trump Ukraine was the 3rd or 4th on the world list for corruption, that swiftly changed didnt it, now the received billions in aid. you guys just flip flop back n dforth as the media tells you to...... 🐑🐑🐑

Whataboutery .....get a grip! 😕

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Wobblybob said:

No Frank you are twisting a scenario to suit your fantasy-prone personality, in other words you are away with the fairies. Ukraine were never going to reward Russia with gifting them the Ukrainian land they have stolen, and the sooner you can come to terms with this the sooner we can all move on, try to live in the reality world like the rest of us. 😕

i'm not twisting anything, i was questioning what you posted earlier and proving that you'd made it up in your head and tried to post as facts

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Whataboutery .....get a grip! 😕

yes, bob, and deflection on your part, just admit it, you made it up!

so was Ukraine in the top 5 for corruption before 2020 or during trump? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/world/europe/ukraine-corruption-military.html

you propagandised sheep bob, perhaps your login should be woolybob

Edited by frank83628
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

so was Ukraine in the top 5 for corruption before 2020?

Whataboutery! 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

so was Ukraine in the top 5 for corruption before 2020 or during trump? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/world/europe/ukraine-corruption-military.html

you propagandised sheep bob, perhaps your login should be woolybob

Nice edit Frank, did you forget to insult me on your first attempt. 😕

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, RayC said:

I can understand that Russia might perceive that to be the case but your easy question throws up numerous supplementaries. 

Does that perception justify Russia invading Ukraine? Should sovereign countries - such as Ukraine - be prevented from pursuing actions, which they consider to be in their best interests, in order to satisfy Russian sensitivities? Latvia, Estonia, Finland and Poland (with Kalingrad) share land borders and a host of countries share Black sea borders with Russia: Should these countries have been prevented from joining NATO? Should they now be forced to leave NATO? Do you think that Russia would be justified in invading any of these countries because of their perceived threat?

I take it that you agree in principle but with certain caveats.

The supplementaries you bring up sounds good in theory but as you well know, is a lot more complicated in real life. For eg, do you consider Cuba a sovereign country? If so, do they have the right to defend themselves? If so, do they have the right to choose their ally? I’m sure you know where I’m going with this. China will not set up a base in Cuba because this would be widely seen (although justified) as being provocative. That’s why diplomacy exists.

Ukraine had a pro-Russian government prior to 2014. Was the US right to interfere in Ukraine’s internal affairs? Before you deny this, think what could be a valid reason for US state officials, notably Nuland, to be there handing out cookies?

What was the FM of Lithuania, I think, Landsbergis or something like that, doing, addressing protesters in Georgia recently? Isn’t this interference, a clear violation of UN regulations?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, rabas said:

Let my bypass your military analysis as Putin's attempt to topple Kiev now lives in infamy widely recorded everywhere and broadly analyzed. [ref].

Not sure what Putin means by initialing. Usually, negotiators initialing documents does not signify agreement and can mean as little as these are the words discussed (official copy). Anyway, the negotiators don't usually sign agreements into effect. 

Proof: [ref] Lead negotiator Davyd Arakhamia stated in an interview on 24 November 2023 that in March 2022 the Russian delegation had promised Ukraine peace for refusing to join NATO, but that Russia had not given any security guarantees and the Ukrainian delegation did not trust Russia to uphold such an agreement.[77][79][80] Arakhamia also refuted Putin's claim that Ukraine had signed any agreement in Turkey because the delegation did not even have the legal right to sign anything.

So, Putin misinfo again.

I just want to address your first point. It is widely accepted by both sides that the current Russian force of about 50,000 troops is insufficient to takeover Kharkiv, Ukraine’s 2nd biggest city. Did you honestly think that Russia attempted to takeover Kiev with just 40,000 troops? Or was it more a considered threat to bring Ukraine to the negotiating table? Which it did, incidentally.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, rabas said:

If you can precisely define 'threat' I will be happy to. 

If this is your stance, I can see that we won’t get anywhere with discussing this further.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, RayC said:

The topic of conversation is Ukraine, not Cuba. In any event, whatever the rights or wrongs of US "interference" in Cuban affairs, a defence of 'two wrongs make a right' offers no justification whatsoever for Russia's actions in Ukraine.

seems like you just brush off the US interference and focus on the end result..which was caused by the US interference. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1