WeChat pay still doesn’t work in Thailand unless you are Chinese

This is probably not of much consequence or interest to many of you, except Thailand based expats like me that also go to China and like their cashless payment system.

Anyway, despite rumor to the contrary (I think I read the rumor here) WeChat (Weixin) Pay still only works outside China if you have a Chinese ID card. Which I think you have to be Chinese to get. Still it looks like WeChat is setup to take payment in Thai baht if a Thai WeChat pay QR code is scanned. 

Anyway, since my WeChat pay is linked to my “farang” credit card, it would have let me spend on my CC in more places. But oh well. 

Posted (edited)

Always a problem in China, lacking a national ID card is a major hindrance.

Google says foreigners can use wechat pay, though.

How to use WeChat Pay as a foreigner? (Full setup guide)

https://wise.com/us/blog/wechat-pay-for-foreigners

Yes, it is possible for users who aren’t Chinese citizens or permanent residents to use WeChat Pay.

However, you might need to download the international version of the app, and you’ll face restrictions unless you have a Chinese bank account.

Edited by NoDisplayName

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

This is probably not of much consequence or interest to many of you, except Thailand based expats like me that also go to China and like their cashless payment system.

Anyway, despite rumor to the contrary (I think I read the rumor here) WeChat (Weixin) Pay still only works outside China if you have a Chinese ID card. Which I think you have to be Chinese to get. Still it looks like WeChat is setup to take payment in Thai baht if a Thai WeChat pay QR code is scanned. 

Anyway, since my WeChat pay is linked to my “farang” credit card, it would have let me spend on my CC in more places. But oh well. 

Actually, this is quite a bit of interest to me, and has been for ages.....