Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite internet service

ravip

Just curious to know more about this, as I am totally at a loss right now. 

Is this affordable?

Availability?

Would be nice to hear some details about this in laymen's terms, especially from someone who has first hand experience.

It's a 100 dollars per month for global coverage if you take the package from Philipinnes. It is not available in Thailand itself directly, else the price would be 40-50 a month (domestic service price).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 9:30 AM, digbeth said:

Starlink won't even beat 5g speed in Thailand

Thailand has fiber cable to almost everywhere now and are quite affordable, in areas or place that don't, 5g is pretty good but can be pricey if you need unlimited internet at the fastest speed

this gives me a chance to ask: my tenant is using the 3BB 4 G package. the modem is about 5 years old (it came free from 3BB). he wants to sign up for the 5G package, called Super Hi Speed: download speed is 2,000 GB and upload speed remains at 1,000 GB. cost 1399 + VAT. my question is, do i need to upgrade the modem? the 3BB service centre says 'no worries' , but my tenant is going to be doing musical studio work which will be uploaded and downloaded. any advice, ? thanks.

Edited by paddypower

26 minutes ago, paddypower said:

this gives me a chance to ask: my tenant is using the 3BB 4 G package. the modem is about 5 years old (it came free from 3BB). he wants to sign up for the 5G package, called Super Hi Speed: download speed is 2,000 GB and upload speed remains at 1,000 GB. cost 1399 + VAT. my question is, do i need to upgrade the modem? the 3BB service centre says 'no worries' , but my tenant is going to be doing musical studio work which will be uploaded and downloaded. any advice, ? thanks.

Are you sure this is 4g as in connected via sim card (mobile phone) rather than through a fiberoptic cable? some package come with sim card you can use on the phone and tablet when out and about as well and might be labelled '4g' as such

2gig down and 1 up sounds like wired broadband package, usually the provider, 3BB, AIS will provide appropriate router unless you ask for a package with no router to use your own, which is really for people who knows what they're doing

not sure -what's what.  i have fibre optic cable installed. but I pay for a low speed service ( cost is approx 750/month - not sure of the speed). in any even we will be doing a speed test, based on the existing service, this weekend. but tenant is adamant he wants the top speed service. can older modems handle todays top speeds? i.e. 2000 GB. thanks.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, paddypower said:

not sure of the speed

You can check on the monthly bill what up and down speed they provide to you. Can also see this info if you go into the router settings.

59 minutes ago, paddypower said:

can older modems handle todays top speeds? i.e. 2000

Not necessarily. You probably need a newer type router for eg.True Gigatex Fiber Router Pro (LAN 2.5Gbps) supporting WiFi6 issued by the service provider. I guess you have the network providers ONT on the wall and then one of their routers connected to that. You can check your existing router on the web, the name and model number should be on the bottom of the router.

Edited by freeworld

On 5/28/2024 at 8:00 AM, digbeth said:

Starlink won't even beat 5g speed in Thailand

Thailand has fiber cable to almost everywhere now and are quite affordable, in areas or place that don't, 5g is pretty good but can be pricey if you need unlimited internet at the fastest speed

Should I change my SIM (AIS) for 5G services?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ravip said:

Should I change my SIM (AIS) for 5G services?

Assume you mean 5G ais network service. Quite costly monthly and you need a 5G sim in a 5G router/phone.

https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/package/exclusive-plan/5g-max-experience

If you have a 4G sim can go to a network provider and they will change it for a 5G sim with the same number.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Assume you mean 5G ais network service. Quite costly monthly and you need a 5G sim in a 5G router/phone.

https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/package/exclusive-plan/5g-max-experience

If you have a 4G sim can go to a network provider and they will change it for a 5G sim with the same number.

Yes. But as you say, it is quite costly. 

I think I can live with 4G for awhile more !

• Thumbs Up 1