Thai Consulate Savannakhet Policy Change

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

At this time the appointment booking website is "under construction" but here's the link

Will it work, Thai websites are infamous for difficulties good luck to all, who will need to use it. Time will tell.

• Like 1

This will thin out the number of applicants a bit.

No longer the stand out place for visa applications if you live in Bangkok or further away.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Denim said:

No longer the stand out place for visa applications if you live in Bangkok or further away.

Exactly, looks like going back to extensions then in my case which is something i'd much rather not deal with.

I enjoyed my stays there when I was doing the routine. An extra couple of days per year would not trouble me. I had a fave restaurant and beer Lao dark is quite drinkable,IMO.

• Agree 1

I haven't been to Savannakhet since before Covid but I can only see this as a good thing? It was a nightmare standing outside in the blazing heat or pissing rain for hours then waiting to see if you could get your application in before they closed. Depends how far apart the appointments are and how many staff they have checking applications they might be able to process quite a lot in a day? If you are on a Non-O Married to a Thai, like I was, you should know roughly when you need to renew and book a reasonable distance in advance.

• Like 1

Just now, Caldera said:

The timing might be a bit unfortunate. With the upcoming introduction of 60-day visa exempt stays, the single entry tourist visa could very well become obsolete. Without the tourist visa applicants, the queues should get quite a bit shorter. 

Appointments, perhaps no queues.........😉

9 hours ago, transam said:

Seems they are going to lose a lot of revenue.........🤔

"They" being the locals, the Thai government will collect revenue from wherever and whatever application is made.

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm old enough to remember when you applied in the morning and collected in the afternoon. Now it takes two days with a possible three-night stay. Another sign of things going backwards.

Just going backwards towards e-visas.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

"They" being the locals, the Thai government will collect revenue from wherever and whatever application is made.

No, visa hunter numbers........😉

The locals will be OK, an extra day of cash from applicants..........:intheclub:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, tubber said:

I haven't been to Savannakhet since before Covid but I can only see this as a good thing? It was a nightmare standing outside in the blazing heat or pissing rain for hours then waiting to see if you could get your application in before they closed. Depends how far apart the appointments are and how many staff they have checking applications they might be able to process quite a lot in a day? If you are on a Non-O Married to a Thai, like I was, you should know roughly when you need to renew and book a reasonable distance in advance.

Well, in addition to standing in a queue outside the consulate, you'll now be able to spend extra time to book an appointment on their more or less working website. Okay, perhaps queues will get a bit shorter...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

21 hours ago, Denim said:

Wonder, whether they will compensate by raising visa fees by a few 100 percent, like they did at their embassy in NZ... 😆 

• Sad 1

Just got back from submitting my application. I wasn’t aware of the change until I got here and fortunately it did not cause a mad scramble of people not wanting to make an appointment.  I showed up at 8:45 this morning and was last in line.  I was still last in line when I made it to the counter 40 minutes later.  I was receipt #30.  Savanakhet for a few days is an OK place.  Yesterday when I got to town there was still a line at 12:30 going out to the sidewalk.

I have believed for some time that Thailand should open additional consulates in Laos to take the pressure off Vientiane and Savannakhet. Obvious potential locations are Pakse and Luang Prabang.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 4:53 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm old enough to remember when you applied in the morning and collected in the afternoon. Now it takes two days with a possible three-night stay. Another sign of things going backwards.

More likely a sign of increased demand for visas.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 7:15 PM, Caldera said:

The timing might be a bit unfortunate. With the upcoming introduction of 60-day visa exempt stays, the single entry tourist visa could very well become obsolete. Without the tourist visa applicants, the queues should get quite a bit shorter. 

Good point.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 4:53 AM, transam said:

No, visa hunter numbers........😉

The locals will be OK, an extra day of cash from applicants..........:intheclub:

How many extra days will they get if the number of applicants reduce and use other means to remain in Thailand. One day up and 2 days down.

An increase in extensions would offset the loss of visa revenue.