Philippine President Warns China Against 'Acts of War'

image.png

In a stark warning to China, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. declared that any fatal incident involving Filipino citizens or soldiers as a result of China’s actions in the South China Sea would be considered near an “act of war.” This warning comes amidst an intensifying standoff between the two nations over territorial disputes.

Speaking at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, a security forum attended by global defense chiefs including U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, President Marcos emphasized that any wilful act by China resulting in Filipino casualties would trigger a significant response from the Philippines. "If by a wilful act a Filipino - not only serviceman, but even Filipino citizen - is killed… that is what I think very, very close to what we define as an act of war and therefore we will respond accordingly," Marcos asserted.

Rising Tensions and Clashes

The dispute between the Philippines and China over the South China Sea has recently escalated into aggressive confrontations. Manila has vociferously protested against Chinese patrol ships firing water cannons at Philippine boats and supply vessels. Beijing, on its part, maintains that it is defending its sovereignty. At the summit, a Chinese military spokesman accused the Philippines of engaging in provocations, further stoking the tension.

Observers fear that any significant escalation could lead to a broader conflict involving the United States, which is bound by a treaty to defend the Philippines if it comes under attack. The U.S. has reiterated its commitment to its allies in the region, underscoring the importance of Asia's security to its own. Secretary Austin affirmed, "Our goal is to make sure that we don't allow things to spiral out of control unnecessarily. A war or a fight with China is neither imminent, in my view, or unavoidable."

Treaty Obligations and Military Posturing

The U.S.-Philippines defense treaty and the recent aggressive interactions have placed both nations in a precarious position. When asked how the U.S. would respond if a Filipino were killed by Chinese actions, Secretary Austin avoided speculation but reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to its treaty obligations. "Our commitment to our treaty with the Philippines is ironclad," he stated.

The U.S. has been actively engaging with its allies in the region, holding a summit with the Philippines and Japan and enhancing military cooperation. This includes military exercises and strategic deployments aimed at bolstering regional defenses. The U.S. strategy in the Indo-Pacific, despite other global conflicts, remains a priority. "The United States can be secure only if Asia is secure," Austin noted, listing various military aids and defense agreements to strengthen Asian allies.

China's Perspective and Diplomatic Efforts

China has reacted strongly to these developments, accusing the Philippines of being emboldened by external powers and breaking its promises over the Second Thomas Shoal, a disputed area where Manila has established a military outpost. The Chinese military also objected to the U.S. sending a mid-range missile system to the Philippines during a recent joint exercise, viewing it as a direct threat to regional security.

Despite the tensions, both the U.S. and China have expressed a desire to improve communication to prevent conflicts. Following a meeting between Secretary Austin and Chinese Defense Minister Li Shangfu, both sides agreed on the importance of re-establishing a crisis communications hotline severed in 2022 after Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan. "I told Mr. Dong that if he calls me on urgent matters, I will answer the phone. And I certainly hope that he'll do the same," Austin said, highlighting the potential for stabilizing the bilateral relationship.

Credit: The BBC 2024-06-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Not sure how important the Philippines and other Asian countries are to the US. 13,208 km separate them. Asian countries are so underarmed they need America more than America needs them 

China is out of their minds, with their false claim of the entire South China Sea. What next? The entire Pacific Ocean? The CCP is up to no good. They cannot be trusted. Xi is a monster. 

Best thing to do is avoid buying anything Chinese, if possible. Avoid MG, at all costs, as it is a very inferior vehicle anyway. Just rented one in Europe and it felt like a large, low end toy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

China is out of their minds, with their false claim of the entire South China Sea. What next? The entire Pacific Ocean? The CCP is up to no good. They cannot be trusted. Xi is a monster. 

Best thing to do is avoid buying anything Chinese, if possible. Avoid MG, at all costs, as it is a very inferior vehicle anyway. Just rented one in Europe and it felt like a large, low end toy. 

Avoid buying anything Chinese made? Lol. I fear for your sanity and wellbeing. Your bitterness and hatred must be eating you from the inside, a bit at a time, everyday when you look around your abode.

Given your stance and previous posts, I doubt very much you actually rented a MG recently. Surely you’re not making things up are you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Avoid buying anything Chinese made? Lol. I fear for your sanity and wellbeing. Your bitterness and hatred must be eating you from the inside, a bit at a time, everyday when you look around your abode.

Given your stance and previous posts, I doubt very much you actually rented a MG recently. Surely you’re not making things up are you?

How about I send you an invoice for my rental? Would that help or would you consider still consider that to be fake news? And why would somebody make something like that up, and why would someone even question another person having made a statement like that? Beyond bizarre. You must be an MG owner. LOL. 

• Haha 1